Home

The Cleveland Curse: A Cleveland Browns Ownership Saga (Madden 25)

This is a discussion on The Cleveland Curse: A Cleveland Browns Ownership Saga (Madden 25) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Rookie

Desalbert's Arena

OVR: 1

Preamble

In this edition of Madden (Madden 25 current gen) I will be forgoing my usual randomization and coaching job to take on the role of team Owner for my beloved Cleveland Browns. I will be utilizing draft classes derived from my solo NCAA Dynasty and I will be controlling all 32 teams and making as much use of the player edit feature as I can in order to provide realistic and intriguing league-wide storylines. You can expect multiple posts a week as I love my madden and I love to write about it. I may also do video-interviews with myself as owner, but I will mostly focus on writing as it is my passion. Well, writing and football. I hope you will enjoy.

Facts:

Concept: Owner of Cleveland Browns after Haslam's convicted of felony (fictitious)

Draft Classes: NCAA 14 Import based on Dynasty (may move away from these after 5 seasons then alternate with Madden classes )

Difficulty: All Madden (Sliders TBD)

QTR Length: 8 Minutes

Control: 32 team control with emphasis on realism, manufacturing story-lines, player-edits and position battles that correspond to performances. High detail and attention will be paid to every team in league.

Includes Custom Suspension System: Developed so that players may be randomly suspended for offenses at the start of each pre-season. Highlighted by fictional Authoritarian organization known as NFL-IA (See page 2 and 3 for details )

May include 're-created' players: Chad Johnson, Jamarcus Russel, maybe even Brett Favre may all take one last kick at the cat and show up in free-agency... Stay tuned!

Houston Rockets
Buffalo Sabres
Army

Commissioner of TBFL Madden on OS http://www.operationsports.com/forums/tbfl/

TBFL Colts
Year 1: 9-7-0 (No playoffs)

Last edited by Desalbert; 08-28-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Rookie

Desalbert's Arena

Re: The Cleveland Curse: A Cleveland Browns Ownership Saga (Madden 25)

Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam III Convicted of Rebate Fraud, sentenced to Prison.
Browns Organization and Pilot Flying J Company seized by FBI

The Black cloud surrounding the Cleveland Browns never seems to disappear for long. Optimism was high surrounding the team in the early days of May when the lucrative, engaging and personable Jimmy Haslam III announced that he had purchased the Browns for a staggering sum. Since then, only darkness has befallen the franchise, with Haslam's Pilot Flying J company coming under the scrutiny of US Homeland security on suspicion that Haslam had willingly allowed the company to ignore rebates promised to their customers.

At the time, it was alleged that Haslam's estate had saved millions of dollars in the scam, and that Haslam "knew of it and loved it". That information came according to a 150 page FBI affidavit.

Fastforward to August and Browns fans' worst fears have come true. As the heat around Haslam has grown, and hearsay has turned to fact, it has become apparent that Haslam will do jail time. While the process is still under appeal, in part because the Haslam camp believes it all moved too fast, it is widely felt that Haslam will do at least a decade behind bars for profiting from fraud charges in excess of 20 million. The news for Browns fans is a killer blow as it essentially leaves the Browns without a figurehead.

Haslam's associates will appeal and contest case, believing it has proceeded too quickly

Browns fans have suffered through a great deal of pain, and not all of it has been on the field. While the curse of Cleveland does fine work between the white lines, with a Browns team missing the playoffs every year since 2002, and the team also never being able to evade injury or lack of a franchise QB, one might argue that the curse has done worse off of the field. For that argument, we need only turn to Art Modell and his decision to move the Browns to Baltimore in 2000. A Baltimore team, mind you, that won the Superbowl just a few seasons after leaving Cleveland.

Now, The so-called Cleveland sports curse has struck again in the owners box as the fans' optimism over Jimmy Haslam has turned to a palpable degree of skepticism on the news of Haslam's likely sentencing. Though it is true that many Browns fans of today seem to spend every waking moment worrying about Trent Richardson's health, many of the long-time fans have begun to see a pattern-- and it isn't good.

On the matter of Haslam, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was succinct and even a little contrite today, suggesting that he was "... very disappointed in the news" of Haslam's sentencing and the FBI's revocation of Haslam's control over the Browns organization and his truck stop company. Goodell added "I want to apologize to Browns fans. They are a great fan-base -- among our most loyal-- and they deserve better. We believed we did our due diligence to ensure the quality and commitment of ownership when (Jimmy Haslam III) put forth the offer to own Cleveland, but we also bear the burden of that mistake. We're just very disappointed and very upset for Browns fans." Goodell also offered a reprieve to those expecting a repeat of the worst upon hearing of the FBI's seizure of the Browns "I want to make it clear" he stated "that there are no current plans nor threats that might make a move out of Cleveland a reality. I am speaking to top law enforcement officials and can promise that we have also begun the search for a new owner. At this point, we are early in that process, and will have more shortly.

Goodell states his disappointment, apologizes to Browns fans, begins new Owner search

So, there it is Browns fans. The Haslam Era didn't even make the pre-season, and it's time to blow things up again. To find a new owner so close to the start of pre-season is far from typical however, so while the current staff may feel the heat of knowing that whoever will own the Browns did not hire them, they are likely to have a chance to audition for their jobs this season.

More news on Browns ownership as it develops.
Houston Rockets
Buffalo Sabres
Army

TBFL Colts

Last edited by Desalbert; 08-21-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Rookie

Desalbert's Arena

Browns have new Owner in Canadian Lottery winner following Haslam Scandal

A week ago today, pictures of a person believed to be in the front-running for a purchasing of the Cleveland Browns surfaced. Among those pictures was this strange faceless shot:

At the time, it was believed to be a part of a hoax, but since then has been revealed to be a doctored picture of the new owner of the Cleveland Browns following a marketing campaign the man concocted once he was told the purchase had been successful.

That man, and the new Owner of the Cleveland Browns is a lottery winner from Ontario Canada named Alexander Jackson. The announcement comes as a bit of a surprise, given the facts, but more of a surprise is that due to federal seizure, Jackson purchased the club for a cool 250 million-- just a quarter of its original worth during the Haslam purchase.

Jackson, who had won 553 Million in a national lottery back in January said he had apparently "dreamed of owning a sports club at the highest level" but that he knew half a million wouldn't get him what he wanted. That is, until the well-documented court-case involving the team's previous owner.

New Browns Owner Jackson with winning lottery ticket in January

This news isn't all shock and uncertainty for Browns fans though, as it is reported that Jackson has been a Browns fan for a decade, and that he plans to be "fully and completely" dedicated to running the operations of the franchise, with no other side-ventures besides a thesis in English Literature to occupy his time.

Jackson (middle) pictured in Browns hat with two friends well prior to ownership

Some say Goodell adores the move as both a saving grace for a beleaguered Browns franchise, and for plans to grow the league up North. Rumour has it that Jackson's Canadian connections created quite a smile on the commissioners face.

A popular meme suggests Goodell is pleased with Canadian connections

No doubt, the news comes as a shock for most, as Jackson is a complete no-name and not even a US citizen. But after a bizarre series of rumours which Jackson calls a "viral marketing campaign", it must be a reprieve to at least have knowledge of what the team's fate will be.

When pressed on subjects about the team, Jackson would offer "no comment" but told all reporters to stay tuned for his press-conference which will be provided in transcript format where he will address all topics related to the team and his new ownership.

For now, head-scratching Browns fans will have to hold-tight and hope that they might finally have a winner.
Houston Rockets
Buffalo Sabres
Army

TBFL Colts

Last edited by Desalbert; 08-21-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Rookie

Desalbert's Arena

Owner Jackson holds conference, addresses Browns Issues.

The following is a word-for-word transcription of Alexander Jackson's inaugural press conference after purchasing the Cleveland Browns

Reporters gather for Jackson Presser

Jackson at Podium

Jackson: "Before I open up to questions, I just want to thank the NFL and the ownership committee for allowing me to live a dream. Growing up my entire life, I admit I played a tonne of Madden-- and for as long as I played that game and games like it I thought, 'Man, wouldn't it just be awesome to own a team? To have full control over everything, to go to every game, and have that final say?' And then of course as you grow older you realize that certain things can happen in life and certain things likely can't, and you move on. But every now and then I guess life has a way of breaking expectations...a way of ruffling some feathers-- if you like-- if you'll allow the phrase-- and some severely ruffled and altered feathers have lead me here, to Cleveland, a city that I love and respect from afar-- in front of you all today. And I absolutely could not be more excited. Now, how about some questions? I'm sure you have a lot.

Question from Reporter: Mr. Jackson, how does it feel to be in America and the sole owner of what people are saying is your childhood team?

J: Yeah, I covered some of that in my initial comments, but I'll glady say it again. It is amazing. Absolutely amazing to have things align in such a way that this was even a possibility. It can really boggle the mind if you think too hard about it, but it's been absolutely the best week of my life thus far, and I cannot wait to do this team, this city and this organization proud as its new owner.

Q: Mr. Jackson, Phil Stevens, Canton Post-- Will you bring in your own coaching staff? Is Chud safe?

J: Good question Phil, let's get this out of the way right away, so thank you for bringing this up. Yes, Rob Chudzinski will be the coach of the Cleveland Browns this season. While I am absolutely certain he and his staff are a bit lost in the woods right now with all this news, I want to be very clear: Chudzinski and his staff will remain with us. They will not be removed this season. To address the grander implications of your question, I think that every owner wants to make sure he has guys that see things his way, and while it can be tempting to want to do everything overnight, the truth is that-- well, what I'm learning is that Organizations like these move at a certain pace, and sometimes, taking time to fully assess everything is the best possible process one could have. So yes, I can and will always be on the look out to make sure the Browns that I love correspond to my vision. But I also know that such a thing cannot be achieved immediately, and I further believe that Chudzinski and his staff can prove an integral part of that vision, if given time.

Jackson indicated Weeden and Chudzinski share audition year

Q: What about Weeden? Is Brandon Weeden the guy?

J: *laughs* I knew it was coming. The Quarterback question. As a life-long Browns fan, I know exactly how important that question can be, trust me on that. More seriously though, I will say that it will be a competition that will be solved this pre-season. Brandon (Weeden) will come in and take the starting reps and the incumbent role, but he will be fairly and openly challenged by our other rostered quarterbacks, who I will ensure will get ample reps to show their abilities. That includes Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer and any other Quarterbacks that I may elect to bring in. Nothing is guarenteed with me, and it'll be earned. That being said, I have a fair degree of faith in Brandon's abilities and the way that his abilities can be complemented by the offense that's been put together by Chudzinski and Norv Turner. So, just to be clear: It will be a competition.

Q: What is it about the approach of Chudzinski and Turner that has you excited? Are they operating in the way you would like?

J: As professionals, Rob and Norv are class acts, and while I will admit that I prefer a run-first playstyle more typical of the classic AFC North expectation, I do think that the offense that they are developing and its reliance on the shotgun will complement Brandon Weeden's skills well, and any other quarterback we will have on our roster for that matter. You could say I'm quite confident.

Q: You mention you may bring in other players, are there any names in particular?

J: No names, nothing like that. Not yet. All I can say is that I will have a thorough look at our roster and all potential avenues to improve it, and maybe I might take a route that previous ownership may not have, but I really can't specify until the proverbial bullets start flying during the pre-season, if you know what I mean. When and if we make a signing, you'll be the first to know. *Jackson smiles*

Q: What kind of control do you anticipate having over the roster? Is it full-say? Final say?

J: That's something I will discuss in more detail with my staff, and as always, I will listen to and respect their input and feelings in the matter. If there is something that Chud or Mike Lombardi or Norv feels really strongly about then I absolutely want them to voice that and fight for that. Like I say, all of this will depend on our ongoing conversation throughout the year, but if I had to make a statement of anticipation, then I'd have to say I anticipate having final say. And, of course, full-say when I really want something *whole room laughs*

Q: Mr. Jackson, much has been made of your Canadian roots and how it might play into expanding the NFL into Canada. Are the Browns a candidate to be moved if that were to happen.

J: *harsh whisper* Don't talk so loud, one word of relocation and they'll have my head on a pike! *laughs* ... No, but in all seriousness, I have no clue what to make of that connection and whether or not having an NFL team in Canada is even feasible. I'm not sure how I could help in the prospect or that process and I've certainly not spoken to the Commssioner on any such matters.

Q: But would you endorse an NFL team in Canada?

J: Look, to be blunt, my focus is on the Cleveland Browns and nothing else. I have a lot to learn here and a lot to do to get ready for the pre-season. I'm not focused on what could happen or what might happen and I certainly wouldn't dream of ever leaving Cleveland. I'm here to stay. Do you think I'd want to be known as the next villain in Cleveland? I don't think so.

Okay? is that it? Are we good? One more?

Q: What are your expectations regarding Trent Richardson and the team in general? Further are you concerned about Trent's health

J: I expect Trent Richardson to be a vital part of this offense and this team's leadership. We drafted him high from before I was here, obviously, but I was watching along with all of you back and then and was real excited for him. Now, being in this position here and overseeing things is a bit different, sure, but nothing's changed as far as my outlook. I expect him to be dominant-- elite in his category-- and I believe he can do that-- He showed flashes of it all last year. 11 Touchdowns is nothing to sneeze at.

As far as his health goes, I'd just say that we'll keep an eye on everything-- Try not to overwork him in the pre-season, as we already know what he can do. Just keep him focused on week 1 against Miami.

And about the team. I expect progress. I certainly expect more than another dreaded 5-11 season, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope for the playoffs. Of course you do. You hope for the championship at that. I mean, I'm not one to get into numbers as much as words, but let's just say I would be disappointed if we were less than .500 on the year, provided our talent stays healthy.

Okay guys, thank you!
*No more questions*
Houston Rockets
Buffalo Sabres
Army

TBFL Colts

Last edited by Desalbert; 08-21-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Rookie

Desalbert's Arena

NFL DRAFT NEWS

Draft Class Turned upside down as Manziel, Bridgewater, Thomas and Miller and Clowney all elect to remain in college.
David Billingsworth, NFL Draft Correspondent

Note 1: This is out of chronological order with my Madden season in that I've already finished this NCAA season and am aware of the draft class and everything that happened during the year. It may not make sense that the college season is already 'finished' by the time I begin pre-season in the NFL, but I thought I'd bring you this news instead of holding off for proper timing. It may cause a few incongruities, but I can live with it.

Note 2: This is all based on the occurrences of my first year of a solo dynasty. All information here is 'real' as it corresponds to how that season played out

Quick, somebody pinch me so I can wake from this terrible nightmare.

That's what most NFL teams must be saying with the earth shattering news that 5 of the most coveted draft prospects have elected not to make a move to the NFL just yet. It was believed that Manziel, Bridgewater and Clowney would all be top 5 selections in the 2013-2014 (Year 1) Draft, but now, everyone will have to wait another year to see these intriguing prospects take to the pros. It's an unthinkable upheaval that absolutely changes the dynamics of the coming NFL season, and now, certainly elevates a few prospects. Let's take it piece by piece, and get through this together. That way, we might be able to understand why it is that each of these prospects, who seemed destined for the NFL, would elect to remain.

Johnny Manziel (Junior) -- Shines Bright, Fell Hard.

Manziel's struggles make returning best option

Johnny Manziel has been one of the most polarizing stars in college football since Tim Tebow, and his playstyle is not dissimilar. While Manziel has claimed to be better than Tebow, his sand-lot style game leads some to question an easy transition to the pros. However, when Manziel is on, he is dynamite. He started slow this season and fell out of the Heisman running for a spell, but by the end of the regular season, Manziel had stormed back, reached a shot at the Heisman and had his Aggies playing in the National Championship against Nebraska. It's safe to say Manziel was favoured to seize both awards.

It didn't happen. Neither of them.

Instead, the NCAA saw fit to award the Heisman to Missouri Senior QB James Franklin, whos 41 total touchdowns and 880 rush yards eclipsed Manziel's numbers. It was a shock to see a kid fly under the radar and then snag college's most coveted award, denying a repeat for Manziel, but perhaps it was warranted.

Without the Heisman, the mercurial Manziel set his focus on the National Championship game, but it was not to be, as Manziel choked, looking absolutely awful in a 23-14 defeat versus the Cornhuskers. In that game, all of Manziel's deficiencies seemed magnified for all the world to see. Johnny Football went just 10 for 27 for 127 yards passing and added 7 carries for 30 yards. He didn't account for a single score. After that performance, which may rank as one of the most noteworthy National Championship failings of all time, many of Manziel's doubters had fuel.

There is cause to be skeptical of Manziel -- now, not just for his personality but for his play. And it is for these failings both in personal and team-based accolades that Manziel decided to return.

"I have unfinished business" he said "I know it's cliché, but I truly do. I got so close. So close. And it all fell apart."

It did fall apart. And Manziel could use another year of experience. Maybe more.

So he returns to College Station. Maybe it's for the best. Though Fantasy players must be groaning with that Dynasty pick they hoped would net Johnny Football.

Teddy Bridgewater (Senior)-- Leaders don't leave

Bridgewater will lead Louisville one last time

For as much as many expected Manziel to leave the NCAA, it is perhaps more shocking that Teddy Bridgewater chose to stay, given his experience at the position. Bridgewater is seen by many as the best QB in the country, and a lock to have been drafted over Manziel anyway. Perhaps that's why Bridgewater isn't concerned or isn't trying to rush anything, but it's a notable decision. For Bridgewater though, it's not about comparisons or draft grades or future possibilities so much as it is about leadership.

Bridgewater's Cardinals head into unexpected territory for the 2014 season as Louisville completes its move to the difficult ACC, and its a challenge Bridgewater wants to be there for.

"Those are my guys. And I think that when you're wading into the lions den or taking on a new challenge-- when you have that in front of you, I think the best leaders find a way to be there for it. All the talk about the pro-game doesn't matter to me as much as being there for my teammates and pushing us to where I know we can go" Bridgewater said, continuing a character profile that is without blemish.

Bridgewater's leadership-first attitude must be winning over hearts and minds of NFL scouting departments everywhere more than his talent already has, but they'll have to wait.

De'Anthony Thomas (Senior)-- Year of Pain, Year of Gain.

Thomas adds size, ready to put injury behind him

The Oregon Ducks' most explosive running back to lace them up in a long time had his season cut short by a gruesome leg injury. The man they call "DAT" played in just 4 games of his junior season, and while he was expected to turn to the pros, it's not surprising he stayed.

"It's not career threatening" Thomas said "but I just wanna prove that I can do what I know I can. Be an everydown (back), you know? That's what's on my mind.

As if in answer to his year of suffering, Thomas also noted that he experienced an unexpected growth spurt over the course of the summer since the year of his injury. Thomas, who was once listed as 5'9, is now 5'11 and 183 pounds, putting on a solid 7-9 pounds to go with those two inches. The weight was a planned method to gain more durability, the height was a sudden bonus

"Oh it's a blessing" said Thomas "it just shows that hard times can turn to better days ahead. And I have faith that they will. I think I'm going to be just as explosive as ever, but just that much harder to take down"

No doubt Thomas has his eye on the pros, but he'll have to prove he can stay healthy.

Jadeveon Clowny (Senior)-- Phenom hungry for more

Clowney has more to do with Gamecocks

For most, this may be the biggest shocker of a shocking bunch. Clowney has been the single most dominant pass rusher and overall defensive end in NCAA since he laced them up, but he isn't ready to cash in just yet. He was said to be the most dominant player in a decade by a few scouts, but he didn't exactly light it up in his junior year, recording just 4.5 sacks 27 tackles and 30 assisted tackles.

Still, there are many who believe that Clowney's production isn't a concern any longer. He's shown that he can do it, so now it's time to bring his freakish frame to the NFL, they say.

Not yet, says Clowney. "I can do better. I can dominate, and I will dominate this year. I believe I can take my team on my shoulders and push us up to the best of my ability and I'm going to do that"

Fair enough.

Braxton Miller (Senior)-- Lost in the new shuffle?

Miller might take hit in crowded Year 2 draft

No one is particularly surprised that Ohio State's Braxton Miller elected to return for his senior year, but he must be surprised with the class of talent he will find himself in when the 2014-2015 (Year 2) NFL draft takes place.

Miller must have been hoping he'd be one of the major standouts left once the big boys moved to the pros, but he's now found himself in a log-jam. Perhaps he's wishing he'd chosen to declare early. If he had, perhaps he'd have rocketed to the top. As of now, it's less than certain.

This, of course, is something that doesn't worry Miller

"I can control only what I can control. I don't make decisions for those other guys, know what I mean? I can't sit here and think, man, I wish I left. I stayed 'cause I wanted to. They did the same for whatever reasons they may have. Aint on me to say much about it."

Miller makes a fair point, but he'll have to show up and show out if he doesn't want to get buried in a 2014-2015 class that is now chalk full of expceptional names.

Worse yet, there are those around Miller that suggest the prospect wanted to leave but elected to stay after those close to him convinced him he could make more money that way. Sound advice. At least, it was, until 4 other arguably better players did the same

Biggest Beneficiaries

So now that we've highlighted 5 of the more surprising draft storylines, lets actually turn to who will be drafted and who stands to gain the most from the shocking decisions to delay the pros made by some of NCAA's biggest names.

QB Aaron Murray (Georgia, Senior)

Aaron Murray is now a consensus 1st round pick to most pundits in the upcoming draft, given the unexpected changes. It's easy to forget in all the breaking news, but Murray was also injured and missed 5 Georgia games on a team that notched just 3 wins after starting the year in the top 25. Murray may not have had the year he wanted, and his injury may be a concern, but it can't be denied that Murray possesses a pro-ready arm with solid touch and delivery and that he is capable of being a franchise QB.

QB AJ McCarron (Alabama, Senior)

Scouts have been up and down on McCarron's ability and potential for a number of years. There are those that say that AJ is as heady as they come and has a mind for the game and a leadership ability to boot. Still, there are others who question whether he really has the physical tools necessary to succeed. Now, given the shake up of the draft, AJ McCarron stands as a potential 1st round selection and could make a case for being the best QB prospect in the draft. Will it be an artificial inflation? We'll have to see.

Other beneficiaries: RBs Silas Redd, Damien Williams and LaDarius Perkins
WR Ryan Grant (Likely to experience stock boost).

Houston Rockets
Buffalo Sabres
Army

TBFL Colts

Last edited by Desalbert; 08-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Desalbert's Arena

I just want to say. Wow. I did NOT expect so many prospects to stay. I wonder what the random-chance of that happening is. It's going to make the first off-season of my Ownership a really interesting one, and I'm sure there will be no shortage of inflation because of this.

I'm blown away guys. Excited for the drama already starting, but blown away. I don't know if I trust this QB class any longer.
Houston Rockets
Buffalo Sabres
Army

TBFL Colts
Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Definitely following, as I always like to see everyone's attempt at rebuilding the Browns. Wow, how does that even happen, all the top prospects staying behind? I really hope that doesn't happen for my Raiders dynasty. This is great so far.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desalbert
I just want to say. Wow. I did NOT expect so many prospects to stay. I wonder what the random-chance of that happening is. It's going to make the first off-season of my Ownership a really interesting one, and I'm sure there will be no shortage of inflation because of this.

I'm blown away guys. Excited for the drama already starting, but blown away. I don't know if I trust this QB class any longer.
What you should've done is made all those guys seniors because that's what I did. Anyways, I'm following and can't wait.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »