Home

The House That Jerry Built: A Dallas Cowboys Franchise

This is a discussion on The House That Jerry Built: A Dallas Cowboys Franchise within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
The House That Jerry Built: A Dallas Cowboys Franchise

Source - The Bleacher Report

It's been a long time since the Cowboys had a playoff appearance(2009), it's been even longer since they've won a playoff game. For a team labeled, "Americas Team" with a tradition of winning and Hall Of Fame players, they've played more like the team America should be embarrassed to call it's own.

Now, everyone can say more than one guy makes a team, everyone can point to a million different reasons as to why the Cowboys haven't been a legitimate title contender in over 2 decades, but we all know it comes down to the quarterback. Most people think the Cowboys situation at QB is in dire straits, everyone except the owner, Jerry Jones. Rewarding signal caller Tony Romo with a 100 million dollar contract may have not been the smart thing to do. If the Cowboys don't start making some serious noise in the NFL, this move will be seriously questioned. Let's take a look at this Romo situation before we kick off the 2013 NFL Season..

Since taking over the starting quarterback job of the Dallas Cowboys in 2006, Tony Romo has put up all kinds of numbers. Some of these numbers are good and others are bad, but what matters most is what the entire sum tells us.

Some will point to Romo's yardage.

Others will undoubtedly point to interceptions.

Many simply count playoff victories.

Personally, I like to refer to team rushing yards in attempting to define the 11th-year veteran from Eastern Illinois. More on that in a minute.

I also look at the fact that, starting in '06, Romo has never thrown for fewer than 4,000 yards in any season unless he was injured and missed games or simply didn't play, as was the case the year he unseated Drew Bledsoe as the Cowboys' signal-caller.

Could Romo be a better quarterback?

Of course, but at this point in his career, this idea necessitates other elements that don't only pertain to Romo himself.

Back to the Dallas running game: In the one season during the Romo era that the Dallas offense has compiled over 2,000 yards rushing, the undrafted quarterback led the franchise to its first and only playoff victory since the 1996 postseason. In sharp contrast, the Cowboys plummeted to just 1,265 yards rushing as an offense last season—obviously there was no postseason.

The real lesson here is that running the football matters. As Dallas hangs around 1,500 to 1,800 yards rushing as a team, the Cowboys are nothing more than a marginal playoff contender. When Dallas gets close to or surpasses 2,000 yards, the team is much stronger and much more capable of winning games.

So, you can choose for yourself which numbers matter the most, but it's important to consider more statistics than just touchdowns and interceptions.

Romo has performed like an elite quarterback when he's had the same essential ingredients that other winning quarterbacks have, like a strong running game and top-notch pass protection. Those elements were more prevalent during Romo's first few seasons starting, but they've been pretty weak over the last four years.

There's also an intangible that can't really be counted as a stat. I refer to Romo's ability to buy time and extend plays, generally due to lousy protection. While injuries have certainly minimized Romo's impact on the franchise in recent seasons, I would argue that his ability outside the pocket is about as good as any other passer in NFL history.

Romo also has the benefit of having played in the same offensive system since his second year under center. While I've never been much of a believer in head coach Jason Garrett's offensive philosophy, I'll at least acknowledge that Romo knows the playbook as well as he can, and the minute he has a dependable ground game and better pass protection, he'll instantly become a contending quarterback.

Food for thought: Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman amassed 32,942 yards passing during his 12 years with Dallas, and he was the starter in each and every season.

Romo, in just six and a half seasons, has already tossed the football for 25,737 yards. By the end of the 2014 regular season, Romo will likely become the franchise's all-time leading passer in yardage.

Romo's 177 touchdown passes already outranks Aikman's career total of 165.

Now, this is not to say that Romo is a better quarterback than Aikman. But I will say that Romo is better at some things than Aikman was, even if those superior qualities have not translated into the kind of success that Aikman achieved.

Some felt as though Aikman was going to be a bust prior to the championship season of 1992. It was said that he threw too many interceptions and couldn't stay healthy.

Have some not said that same things about Romo, despite the fact that he has never had the supporting cast that Aikman did for the last two-thirds of the former quarterback's career?

Yes, they have.

But the same thing that turned around the career of Aikman will have to come into play for Romo to have any chance to lead Dallas to at least one Super Bowl—offensive balance.

The numbers say that Romo is a stud quarterback that definitely deserves the massive contract extension he received last March from owner and general manager Jerry Jones.

This is just part one of a bunch of different articles i'll be putting up before the season starts. Who better to start with than the 100 million dollar man himself, Tony Romo..

Also, I should make it known that i'm not the greatest when it comes to graphic and super crazy presentation quality. Hopefully my good storytelling and writing will keep you guys hooked and coming back for more.

Game: Madden 25
System: PS3
Sliders: TBD
Draft Classes: TBD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Re: The House That Jerry Built: A Dallas Cowboys Franchise

5 Unheralded Players Poised to Break out for Dallas Cowboys in 2013-14

The Dallas Cowboys are hoping to make it back to the playoffs for the first time since 2009. To do so, they will need a collective group effort from all 53 men on the roster.

Of course, Dallas will rely on its superstars to perform well, but it will take more than that. In order to have a successful 16-game season, some lesser-known players must step up.

It’s difficult to predict under-the-radar players to erupt because most haven’t seen the field much. Players like Sean Lee and Bruce Carter are expected to be great this season because of what they’ve shown us in the past.

The Cowboys’ roster is one of the most skilled in the NFL, but here are five less-familiar guys poised for a breakout year.

Safety Eric Berry

Barry Church has only started four games for the Cowboys, yet has the most upside of any safety on the roster. The fourth-year man from Toledo will be the starting free safety Week 1, barring any major injury.

Church’s 2012 campaign was cut short because of a season-ending Achilles injury.

There are high hopes for the safety because of the fact that Dallas hasn’t had a playmaker at the position in several years. Not since the days of Rod Woodson or Roy Williams has there been someone exciting to watch in the back of the secondary.

It will be interesting to see how Church reacts to being the starter for an entire year. He’s shown real potential in his time on the field, however, that’s never been for more than a few games at a time.

Church could be great because of his ability to be around the ball and deliver big hits. He’s a dangerous weapon in the middle of the field and will help defend against the run as well.

James Hanna, Tight End

James Hanna is the next big weapon for Tony Romo on the Cowboys offense. The second-year tight end out of Oklahoma showed real signs of being great last season and is looking to break out in 2013.

There’s no doubt that Jason Witten is No. 1 at tight end, but the Cowboys have shown they will be utilizing multiple tight end sets on offense. This means it’s time for another end to step up and take some pressure off of the Pro Bowler.

Hanna is a real big target at 6’4”, 250 pounds, and he has tremendous hands, too. He only has eight career receptions, but his athleticism is evident every second he’s on the field.

Although Witten is still playing at the top of his game, it wouldn’t surprise me if Hanna put up similar numbers this season. The majority of the offense should run through DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant, leaving Hanna and Witten as the fallback guys.

There’s no question that Dallas’ offensive line isn’t the team’s strong point, so the tight end spot is key for Romo. When he’s under pressure, he’ll turn to bailout options like Hanna.

If things work out and Hanna stays healthy, he could easily be one of the top receivers on the team.

Lance Dunbar, Running Back

It’s very difficult for teams to feature only one running back all year long. The position takes a lot of punishment, and most teams in today’s game use at least two backs.

Murray is undoubtedly the starter, but Lance Dunbar could be a special change-of-pace backup.

Dallas drafted Felix Jones several years ago to do just that, but it didn’t pan out for either side. Dunbar appears to be ready to take over that role this offseason.

The second-year back had very few touches last year, but his potential showed on every one of them. He’s very explosive at the point of attack and has breakaway speed as well. Dunbar isn’t a polished rusher yet, but that will come with time.

Thus far in the preseason, Dunbar has looked amazing. He’s had a combined eight carries for 45 yards and several nice catches, including a 43-yard skirmish last week against Arizona (even though he fumbled).

Unfortunately for Dunbar and the Cowboys, the young back sprained his left foot against the Cardinals. He’s been sitting out of practice, but hopes to return soon and be ready for the opener against New York.

Dunbar is a truly exciting runner and a homerun threat every time he gets a touch.

Morris Claiborne, Cornerback

Although Morris Claiborne isn’t unheralded within the Cowboys nation, he is one of the lesser-known players at his position league wide. I feel comfortable putting the former first-round pick on this list because he’s not even the top cornerback on the roster.

Even though he’s not a star yet, Claiborne will be one in the near future.

In his rookie season, the former LSU Tiger started 15 games and combined with Brandon Carr to form the best starting cornerback combination Dallas has seen in a long time.

Dallas should be excited about its corner because of his quality of play at such a young age. Cornerback is one of the toughest positions to be successful at, especially for rookies.

Claiborne had eight pass deflections and caused two turnovers last season.

With more experience in the league and a better front seven in front of him, the sky is the limit for Mo. The Cowboys defense will be improved all around in 2013, and Claiborne will be a big part of that by becoming a shutdown corner.

Cole Beasly, Wide Receiver

The last player poised to have a breakout year for the Cowboys is Cole Beasley.

Dallas’ offense last year was based around passing the football. Even though it should be more balanced this year with a healthy Murray and new play-caller Bill Callahan, Dallas will still be among the league leaders in pass attempts.

Dez Bryant and Miles Austin are without question the top targets on the outside, but the slot position is still up for grabs.

Both Dwayne Harris and Beasley have shown what they can do in open space, but I see Beasley fitting in perfectly as the No. 3 option. Despite his small stature at 5’8”, 180 pounds, the 24-year-old receiver from Southern Methodist finds ways to get open. Beasley runs great routes and has good chemistry with Romo.

I don’t see Beasley ever becoming a top target on the Cowboys, however, he could be someone to challenge the middle of defenses and become a Wes Welker-type player.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Full Stat Predictions for Dallas Cowboys' Regular Season

Quarterback

Tony Romo

387-for-580 (66.7 percent) for 4,582 yards (7.9 YPA), 32 touchdowns, 12 interceptions—100.4 passer rating

Romo’s always been able to post top-tier numbers, but his legacy will come down to what he does in December and January. Nonetheless, he’s probably a good bet for at least 4,500 yards and 30 touchdowns. More important, Romo will almost assuredly toss fewer than the 19 interceptions he did in 2012.

Running Backs

DeMarco Murray

280 carries, 1,250 rushing yards (4.46 YPC), seven rushing touchdowns, 40 receptions, 225 receiving yards, one receiving touchdown

I’m extremely bullish on Murray right now for a variety of reasons. He’s a big, fast back who has already been efficient in the NFL. He might be injury prone, but there’s probably an even better chance that he’s just been unlucky. With superior health, Murray is in for a big season.

Lance Dunbar

70 carries, 340 yards (4.86 YPC), one rushing touchdown, 25 receptions, 150 receiving yards, one receiving touchdown

Dunbar is currently on the shelf, but he figures to be the No. 2 running back in Dallas once he returns. The speedster has showed well in the preseason, and given his speed and the situations in which he’ll touch the ball, he’s a good bet to lead the Cowboys in YPC.

Joseph Randle

40 carries, 180 yards (4.50 YPC), two rushing touchdowns, 10 receptions, 60 yards, zero receiving touchdowns

When the Cowboys first drafted Randle, I thought they’d utilize him as their change-of-pace and short-yardage running back. The team might be seeing the same traits that forced me to downgrade him prior to the draft; he’s a 204-pound back with 4.63 speed.

Wide Receivers

Dez Bryant

92 receptions, 1,411 yards, 14 touchdowns

This is truly a median projection for Bryant (as opposed to his ceiling), so it shows you how big of a year I anticipate him posting. Capable of scoring from anywhere on the field, Bryant is probably the favorite to lead the league in touchdowns. If he catches 92 passes, there’s almost no chance that he doesn’t score at least 10 times.

Miles Austin

70 receptions, 1,000 yards, seven touchdowns

There’s a problem in the way most people view Austin. He’s a 6'2", 216-pound receiver with outstanding speed who is one of the league’s better No. 2 receivers. After the early hype Austin created a few seasons ago, though, fans expect him to go for 1,200 yards every year when he just doesn’t see the necessary targets to do that.

Terrance Williams

25 receptions, 400 yards, four touchdowns

Williams should win the Cowboys’ No. 3 receiving job, and I think he could actually help the team quite a bit in the red zone. It’s also worth noting that Williams will be 24 years old a few weeks into the season, so he should be able to produce more than most rookie wide receivers. If Williams is a quality long-term option for the ‘Boys, we should know it pretty soon.

Tight Ends

Jason Witten

88 receptions, 880 yards, four touchdowns

I’m probably as bearish on Witten as anyone in the media. He’s an aging tight end who, although still obviously a talented player, just isn’t as good as his 2012 numbers indicate. He caught 110 passes, mainly because the Cowboys were down so often. Only six of Witten’s catches came when Dallas had the lead! His yards per route also declined for the fifth straight year.

James Hanna

30 receptions, 350 yards, two touchdowns

It’s not often that you find a 252-pound tight end with 4.49 speed. And although Hanna is smaller than rookie Gavin Escobar, his arms aren’t even a half-inch shorter. The only area where Escobar might be more effective is near the goal line.

Gavin Escobar

15 receptions, 175 yards, two touchdowns

My initial post-draft projection for Escobar was much rosier than this, but I figured he had the No. 2 tight end job locked up. His blocking is so poor that he won’t be able to stay on the field. Like Williams, I think he can help immediately in the red zone.

Defensive Ends

DeMarcus Ware

55 tackles, 42 pressures, 10.5 sacks

Everyone expects Ware to bounce back in a big way this year, but I’m not so sure. Yes, he was injured last season, but that’s one of the byproducts of aging. At 31 years old, Ware isn’t a 20-sack player anymore. According to Pro Football Focus, his pressure rate has dropped in each of the past three years, from 10.8 percent in 2010 to 6.8 percent last year.

Anthony Spencer

50 tackles, 34 pressures, 8.5 sacks

I’ve found that a defensive end’s sacks tend to add up to around one-quarter of his pressures. In 2012, Spencer’s pressure total suggested he’d have only seven sacks, so he was lucky to record 11. He’ll almost certainly regress in 2013.

Defensive Tackle

Jay Ratliff

37 tackles, 19 pressures, 3.5 sacks

I predicted a down 2012 season for Ratliff last year. His fit in Monte Kiffin’s 4-3 defense increases his ceiling a bit, but he’s still going to be 32 years old in a week.

Jason Hatcher

45 tackles, 23 pressures, 5.5 sacks

Last year, I labeled Hatcher as one of the most underrated players in Dallas. He played better than his four sacks indicate, so I’d expect a jump in sacks even if he pressures the quarterback less often in 2013. His health is absolutely vital to the success of the Cowboys defense.

Linebackers

Sean Lee

130 tackles, 64 targets, 51 completions allowed for 499 yards (7.8 YPA)

Fresh off of his big contract extension, Lee is one player whose play we know won’t decline after getting paid. Despite being an average athlete, Lee is outstanding in both run and pass defense. The key is staying on the field, but there’s no reason to think he’s injury prone just yet.

Bruce Carter

117 tackles, 60 targets, 43 completions allowed for 400 yards (6.7 YPA)

One of the reasons I thought the Cowboys had some leverage in their contract negotiations with Lee is the presence of Carter. In my opinion, Carter will be a better linebacker than Lee within a year or two, primarily because he’s so much more athletic.

Cornerbacks

Morris Claiborne

50 receptions on 75 targets (66.7 percent) for 605 yards (8.1 YPA), 1.10 yards per snap, 65 tackles, four interceptions

I think Claiborne will have a breakout season. He was targeted only 69 times as a rookie, suggesting he has solid coverage on most plays, and his yards per route allowed ranked him as a low-end No. 1 cornerback. He’s going to have way more opportunities to make plays in Kiffin’s scheme.

Brandon Carr

57 receptions on 90 targets (63.3 percent) for 630 yards (7.0 YPA), 1.08 yards per snap, 63 tackles, five interceptions

I think Carr has Pro Bowl potential in 2013. He’s versatile enough to play both man and zone with success, and he’s going to playing near the line of scrimmage a whole lot more in 2013. That will increase his bulk stats, and it’s the picks that will get him into the Pro Bowl.

Safeties

Barry Church

50 targets, 38 receptions, 350 yards allowed (7.0 YPA), 80 tackles, two interceptions

I named Church a potential breakout player in 2012, and he was on his way before going down for the season in Week 3. I’m still pretty bullish on him in 2013, namely because I love what he can do in the box. Church isn’t an elite athlete, but he’s very quick, as evidenced by his 4.17 short shuttle. I expect him to play the Kam Chancellor role in this 4-3 defense.

Matt Johnson

30 targets, 17 receptions, 220 yards allowed (7.3 YPA), 30 tackles, two interceptions
Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

OVR: 6

Following, can't wait to see what you do with Romo.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Dallas Cowboys 2013 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
0vs New York Giants
0at Kansas City Chiefs
0vs St. Louis Rams
0vs Denver Broncos
0at San Diego Chargers
0vs Washington Redskins
0at Philedelphia Eagles
0at Detroit Lions
0vs Minnesota Vikings
0at New Orleans Saints
0at New York Giants
0vs Oakland Raiders
0at Chicago Bears
0vs Green Bay Packers
0at Washington Redskins
0vs Philedelphia Eagles

Looking at the Dallas Cowboys 2013 schedule, one would automatically assume they won't be in the Playoffs for the 2013 season.

Not only do they play in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL, having to face Eli Manning, Robert Griffin and Michael Vick two times a piece, they have to deal with Peyton Manning and the Broncos, Calvin Johnson and the Lions, Adrian Peterson and the Vikings, Jay Cutler and the Bears, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, and Drew Brees and the Saints.

It almost seems unfair. This team is going to have to gut out every single game if they want to qualify for the playoffs, along with trying to stay healthy. Whoever the schedule makers are, they seem to have some sort of vendetta against Jerry and the Boys, of course they're going to try to do everything they can to silence all the critics.

Predicted Record: 8-8
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Just a quick question to anyone who might be following..

I have 3 seasons worth of draft classes from NCAA 14. Would you guys be more interested in real life draft classes, or the EA generated classes??
Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Following, good so far. Real life draft classes please.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Dallas Cowboys Injury Report
PosPlayerInjury Note
SSDanny McCrayBroken Thumb - 2 Weeks
LETyrone CrawfordBroken Hand - 4 Weeks
LTDarrion WeemsPulled Groin - 2 Weeks
FBLawrence VickersDislocated Ankle - 4 Weeks
LEAnthony SpencerDislocated Ankle - 4 Weeks
LTDemetress BellPulled Groin - 2 Weeks

Dallas Cowboys Week 1 Injury Report

As you can see, after 4 weeks of pre-season action in which the Cowboys went 2-2, they did not come out unscathed. Not too many major injuries, but losing Anthony Spencer for the first game against the division rival Giants doesn't help, hopefully the other defensive lineman can step up in his place and get pressure on the younger Manning.

Head Coach Jason Garrett says he knows Spencer is disappointed, but he has the utmost confidence in his group to get the job done. We'll see come week 1, which is rapidly approaching.

Other noticeable NFL injuries

HB CJ Spiller - 1 Week (Bills)

DT Gerald McCoy - 5 Weeks
ROLB Lavonte David - 7 Weeks (Bucs)

RE Dion Johnson - 4 Weeks
QB Ryan Tannehill - 6 Weeks
MLB Dannell Ellerbe - 34 Weeks (Dolphins)

WR Victor Cruz - 9 Weeks
LE Mathias Kiwanuka - 5 Weeks (Giants)

HB Darren McFadden - 5 Weeks (Raiders)

MLB Bobby Wagner - 2 Weeks
WR Sidney Rice - 10 Weeks (Seahawks)

DT Kevin Williams - 5 Weeks (Vikings)

As you can see, the injury bug didn't only hit the Cowboys, it got some other teams and got them hard. Including our week 1 opponent Giants. Our defense will be under a lot less pressure with WR Victor Cruz on the sidelines nursing an injury. The key in the NFL is to get healthy, and stay healthy. Although everyone knows that's easier said than done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »