Home

The Bullpen: Houston Texans Franchise (Madden 25)

This is a discussion on The Bullpen: Houston Texans Franchise (Madden 25) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The Bullpen: Houston Texans Franchise (Madden 25)

Safety Ed Reed makes it official, signs with Houston Texans

HOUSTON – Free agent safety Ed Reed is finally a Houston Texan.

The nine-time Pro Bowl safety signed a contract with Houston on Friday, a week after leaving town with no deal in place.

The Texans did not disclose terms, though the Houston Chronicle reported it was a three-year deal worth $15 million, with $5 million guaranteed.

The move is another blow to Baltimore, where Reed played his first 11 NFL seasons.

The 34-year-old Reed made $7.2 million last season with the Ravens, who've been gutted in free agency since beating San Francisco in the

Super Bowl. Reed and Ray Lewis were cornerstones of one of the NFL's most feared defenses for more than a decade, and now both are gone. Lewis retired and now works for ESPN.

The Ravens traded receiver Anquan Boldin to the 49ers, then lost linebackers Paul Kruger (Cleveland) and Dannell Ellerbe (Miami) and cornerback Cary Williams (Philadelphia) in free agency. Baltimore also cut safety Bernard Pollard, who signed with Tennessee.

The Texans, meanwhile, added one of the game's most respected safeties and revived an otherwise disappointing free agency period so far with one bold move.

Reed was the NFL's top defensive player in 2004 and is the Ravens' franchise leader in interceptions with 61. His 1,541 return yards with those pickoffs is an NFL career record and Reed is the only player who's scored on a punt return, a blocked punt, an interception and a fumble recovery.

The Texans won 13 games last season, but were badly beaten twice by Tom Brady and New England, the second time in the playoffs. That was perhaps another reason to covet Reed — Baltimore beat the Patriots in the AFC championship and has won three of the last five meetings since 2010.

Reed has been durable, playing in all 16 games in all but three of his seasons. He's dealt with hip, neck and right shoulder injuries in recent years, but he made it through the entire 2012 season without missing a game, making 58 tackles and intercepted four passes.

Houston wasn't shy about its plans to pursue Reed, announcing on Twitter that it was sending team owner Bob McNair's private jet to pick up Reed in Atlanta, where he has an offseason home.

Reed spent two days in the city and had dinner with Texans star receiver Andre Johnson, one of his college teammates at Miami. The two played on the Hurricanes' 2001 national-championship team and Johnson said at a public appearance last week that he and Reed talked about playing together in the pros some day.

Even though Reed left town last week without signing a contract, Johnson was optimistic that Reed would become a Texan, and he turned out to be right.

Reed fills the gap created when free agent safety Glover Quin signed with Detroit. Quin, a fourth-round pick in 2009, was the Texans' starting free safety in each of the past two seasons under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. He made 107 tackles, including his first career sack, in 2012 had started 60 consecutive games for Houston.

With Reed secured, the Texans can turn their full attention to other needs, perhaps starting with a No. 2 receiver behind Johnson. Houston cut receiver Kevin Walter and coach Gary Kubiak said at the NFL meetings in Phoenix that DeVier Posey, a third-round draft pick in 2012, is "going to take some time" to recover from a ruptured Achilles tendon he suffered in the playoffs.

Houston also has holes to fill after tight end James Casey and outside linebacker Connor Barwin both signed with Philadelphia in free agency. The Texans re-signed cornerback Brice McCain on Wednesday.

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

2013 Houston Texans NFL Draft Review and Analysis

1. First round, 27th overall: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

We’ve been saying for a long time now that the Texans need to get someone who can be that legitimate #2 threat alongside of Andre Johnson, and they may have gotten the best receiver in the draft. Hopkins showed in the Clemson bowl game last year that he can take over games with his two mitts, and he proved over the course of the year that he was the most consistently dominant player at his position in college football. He’s not the fastest receiver, but he is tough and he knows how to get himself open. He is also a great threat in the red zone. I think Houston has a really good thing going here with Hopkins in the fold, and guys they drafted last year like DeVier Posey and Keshawn Martin. They need those two guys to step up this season, and I think Hopkins also adds a significant upgrade. It doesn’t feel like Andre Johnson is that old because he still performs at such a high level, but he was the team’s second ever first round selection, and Hopkins has been selected 10 years later as his #2 and possibly eventual replacement. Time has flown in Houston.

2. Second round, 57th overall: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina

This is a really good fit for Houston, and a guy who can come in and play special teams while learning from Ed Reed. I think when you look at the depth in Houston’s secondary, the clear weakness is at the safety position. Swearinger gives them a guy who could start if there was a need, but he also offers a lot of versatility as a reserve. This is not the fastest safety, but he is a head hunter and he can really excel in the box. I think in Houston’s sub-packages on defense, he’s going to be a real asset as a rookie, eventually developing into a starting safety in the NFL.

4. Third round, 95th overall: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

This is a pick I absolutely love. I think Montgomery on the field is as good a defensive end in this draft as any when he wants to be. The problem is, a lot of teams were concerned about his not giving full effort when the LSU Tigers played bad competition, even if his statements on that situation were taken out of context. If he wants to succeed in the NFL, he’s going to have to take every opponent seriously and not let his ability or the talent level of his team get to his head. When I watched Montgomery as a sophomore, I saw a top 10 pick. He is so quick off the snap, and has a lot of elite qualities as a pass rusher. As a junior, he put on a lot of weight (good weight) and was expected to be an even more dominant player, but I think the weight gain slowed him down a bit, and took away from what his production could have been. He will be a rush linebacker for the Texans in their 3-4 defense, and give them some very solid depth behind Whitney Mercilus and Brooks Reed.

5. Fourth round, 124th overall: Trevardo Williams, DE/OLB, UConn

This is a very athletic, very productive pass rush prospect who is just starting to come into his own as a player. He has incredible speed and quickness, and I think his ability to get to the quarterback is a pretty rare skill. He fell in the draft a bit due to size and teams weren’t really sure what position he’d be the best fit for, but I think he can excel in Houston because they have a need for pass rushers, and he does that really well. The Texans are so high on this guy, they feel like he potentially gives them the option of playing Brooks Reed at inside linebacker, another spot where they need some help.

6. Sixth round, 176th overall: David Quessenberry, OL, San Jose State

Solid offensive line prospect who played tackle in college and gives the Texans a variety of options for some depth on their offensive front. This is a very good athlete and a former tight end who is a good fit for the Texans’ zone blocking scheme, but he’s going to take some seasoning before he is ready for big time NFL action. We should get a good look at him in the pre-season, but I think for a sixth round pick, you are doing well if you add a guy who can contribute on special teams or add depth to your offensive/defensive line.

7. Sixth round, 195th overall: Alan Bonner, WR, Jacksonville State

Quicker than fast player who was expected to be undrafted, but gets picked up here by the Texans in the sixth round. I think he is going to be a slot receiver in the NFL, and he should also be able to contribute on kick/punt returns if the Texans want him to. He has pretty average size at 5’10″ 193 pounds, and didn’t really blow anyone away with his athletic numbers. The Texans must feel like his game tape was too good to let him get to the UDFA pool.

8. Sixth round, 198th overall: Chris Jones, DL, Bowling Green

This is a very underrated defensive tackle prospect who could potentially play some nose for the Texans in Wade Phillips’ defense. He has great toughness and gives 100 percent effort on every single play. This guy never takes a play off. The fact that he went to Bowling Green pushed him down draft boards in all likelihood, but he was an All-American and the MAC defensive player of the year with 12.5 sacks from the defensive tackle position. I wouldn’t be surprised with his work habits if down the road, he ended up taking over the starting nose tackle job. Maybe he’s not cut out for the NFL game, but I think I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

9. Sixth round, 201st overall: Ryan Griffin, TE, UConn

Very athletic, very steadily improving tight end prospect. He has had some really good numbers in his years at UConn, and he has excellent size. He will be a developmental prospect for the Texans, but I think in the seventh round, he can add some really nice depth and give them a deeper rotation, especially with James Casey going to the Eagles..

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

The Houston Texans have signed free agent LB Joe Mays, it was announced today. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Mays is entering his sixth season after playing the last three with the Denver Broncos (2010-12). He was traded to the Broncos from the Philadelphia Eagles where he spent the first two years of his career (2008-09). He was originally drafted by the Eagles in the sixth-round (200th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft out of North Dakota State.

In Mays’ career, he has appeared in 47 games, with 22 starts and has totaled 128 tackles (100 solo), 0.5 sacks, one forced fumble and three passes defensed. In 2012, he appeared in six games and started four before being placed on injured reserve with a leg injury. In 2011, he played in all 16 games, starting 12 times and recorded a career-high 74 tackles (63 solo) along with two passes defensed.

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

Here are five things to watch in the preseason opener when the Texans take on the Vikings Friday night at Mall of America Field in the H.H.H. Metrodome.

1. Four Horsemen- The Texans running backs not named Arian Foster and Ben Tate will get the lion’s share of the carries at Minnesota. Foster remains on the physically unable to perform list with a calf injury and won’t make the trip. Tate will start, and head coach Gary Kubiak said the fourth-year pro will likely get “10 to 12 plays with the first group.”

That means veteran Deji Karim and rookie undrafted free agents Dennis Johnson, Cierre Wood and Ray Graham will split the rest of the carries.

Johnson would have started if Tate had been unable to play because of the groin tightness he experienced over last weekend. Johnson is 5-7, but said that height and measurable haven’t mattered for him during his time with the Texans, and won’t matter against the Vikings.

“Odds have always been against me because of my height,” Johnson said. “I just gotta stay focused.

2. Young Receivers- Pro Bowler Andre Johnson won’t play because Kubiak is resting a majority of Texans who normally don’t practice on artificial turf. Johnson’s a part of that group, and the Metrodome’s playing surface is field turf.

So rookie DeAndre Hopkins and second-year receiver Keshawn Martin will likely start. Both have been impressive during training camp in their own ways.

Hopkins has been a challenge to cover, and has made spectacular catches on a daily basis.

“The biggest thing with him is he’s a very competitive kid,” Kubiak said. “When it’s him and a DB and a lot of bumping and grinding going on, he finds a way to make a play.”

Martin, meanwhile, has drawn high praise from general manager Rick Smith.

“Probably the brightest thing I’ve seen at the position,” Smith said. “Obviously I love what DeAndre’s doing, but Keshawn and his jump is really significant. He’s been making plays and you can see his progression.”

3. Linebacker Limelight- Because of injuries and Kubiak also resting players who don’t normally practice on turf, it will be fascinating to see the mixed bag of combinations both inside at outside for the linebackers.

Brian Cushing won’t likely play inside, while outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus will be on the shelf as well because of a hamstring injury. Kubiak said Brooks Reed and Justin Tuggle will start outside, but it remains to be seen who will go inside.

Behind the Reed/Tuggle combo, expect long looks at Willie Jefferson and Bryan Braman outside. Jefferson is an undrafted free agent from Stephen F. Austin who has garnered praise throughout camp. Braman is a special teams standout who is trying to gain more reps on defense.

4. Swearinger gets to hunt- Rookie safety D.J. Swearinger often tweets out the phrase “You can’t eat if you don’t hunt.” The second-rounder finally gets the chance to light up someone not wearing a Liberty White jersey when he and the Texans take on Minnesota. Kubiak, Cushing and a few others targeted Swearinger as a player they’re excited to check out this evening. For the head coach, seeing the South Carolina Gamecock excel so far in camp while veteran Ed Reed’s been out due to injury has been a mild surprise.

“We knew that’s kind of what we were getting from our interviews with him and being around him,” Kubiak said. But I don’t think we had any idea it was this, just mature and what he does as a football player. He’s going to be a big part of this team.”

5. Randy’s Return- In 2011, Randy Bullock won the Lou Groza Award for being the best kicker in college football. In 2012, the Texans took Bullock in the Draft, played him in the preseason and placed him on the injured reserve in late August because of a nasty groin injury.

Now though, Bullock is healthy. During kickoffs in camp, he’s routinely driven the ball out of the end zone and made returns impossible. He’s shown great strength on field goal attempts. Look to see if that continues again tonight, as Bullock’s performance in 2013 will go a long way towards improving field position and helping the Texans in key situations throughout the campaign.

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

Matchup Preview | August 9, 2013
@
Houston Texans
(0-0, 0-0 Away)
Minnesota Vikings
(0-0, 0-0 Home)
Injury Report
NONE
NONE
Game Notes
The Houston Texans open up the 2013 preseason the road against reining MVP Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings.

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

Texans Win Preseason Opener at Minnesota 27-13

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

Texans trade WR Jeff Maehl to Eagles for OL Nate Menkin

The Texans have traded wide receiver Jeff Maehl to Philadelphia for offensive lineman Nate Menkin.

Maehl was caught in a numbers game with the Texans, who have several wide receivers. He played for Chip Kelly at Oregon.

The coaches are looking for depth in the offensive line because of knee injuries to guard Wade Smith and rooke Brennan Williams.

Menkin can play guard or tackle.

He was with the Texans last year as an undrafted free agent from Mary Hardin-Baylor and played tackle. He was playing guard with the Eagles.

Last edited by Jumpman14; 09-19-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »