Home

The Coaching Career of Rusty Reid

This is a discussion on The Coaching Career of Rusty Reid within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
The Coaching Career of Rusty Reid

Faced with the news that there may never be another college football game, I had to finally purchase NCAA 14 about 7 days ago. Truth is, I've been through the video game ringer with NCAA over the years. From 1996 to roughly 2005 I was a franchise/dynasty posting fanatic, just doing my single player thing happily. Once the NCAA games started coming out one after the other I ditched Madden. The turnover and shorter seasons just really lend themselves to the reporting process. Then online came to be in the next few years and I was in an online dynasty known as The Tradition over at Tradition Sports Online. Eventually I was the commish of the flagship dynasty on that site. I had a great deal of fun with that. However, as time went on, and I moved further from my office and had a child, time diminished, and it started to wear on me scheduling 6 (bad year) to 8 (good year) dynasty games per month or so that all seemed to be right around dinner time and usually on weekdays. Long story short I had to quit that and haven't been doing much football game playing. But like I said, the end of the college football game run seems nigh. Might as well saddle up for one more ride.

The setup

This is a three player online dynasty. I fully realize that EA might shut down the servers at some point but I had to take the opportunity to have a couple of friends in this with me, Twister18 and jfosh from over at Tradition. These are two of the most fun to play guys, straight players who recruit like hell. Neither one of them will likely be going for realism in the recruiting dept. like me so they will have superior teams. Anytime we play I expect to get crushed, but for now this dynasty won't be about user vs. user, stick skills, etc. We all have 1-star teams and might play a user game once every 2-3 seasons or so.

Difficulty: AA (offense) Heisman (Defense)
Sliders: No (not yet)
Quarters: 9 minutes
Player Speed Threshold: 25%

Dynasty Details

I generally post a very free-flowing style. I am not as structured as some of the guys whose dynasties I admire most. Not as good at record keeping, in particular. Sometimes things will look nice, other times not so much, but I'm just going to be trying to keep up at times. I'm no less busy than I was back when I had to quit the Tradition, so who knows how far I'll get or whether I'll fall behind. I have always had a true love of the NCAA football series, so I'm GUTTED this is all we've got from here on out. To the greedy athletes who filed lawsuits a few years after (likely) bragging and showing off that they were in a video game once they realized they wouldn't make money in the pros: I dislike you.

Posting info: Like I said I'm massively busy, and I'm posting this for my record and just to keep track. Seeing some familiar faces over here is cool and I will be reading/following what I can but as I'm sure most know, not everybody can trade comments and that sort of thing.. Sorry in advance. No pressure to comment/reply.

My Fake Coach and Made-Up Storyline

Rusty Reid
Height: 6-0
Weight: 321
Hometown: Los Gatos, CA

A cousin of NFL coach Andy Reid, Rusty shares a similar penchant for offensive creativity. He coached his way up through the Los Angeles area high school ranks and winning three section titles (that means something right?) before impressing Idaho athletic director Rob Spear in an interview. The NFL family pedigree is probably why he got the job, and was able to skip the coordinator gig entirely. Only time will tell if he has the pure coaching acumen of his namesake in Kansas City, but he privately believes he is a better dad and manager of the game clock than Cousin Andy.

The Kibbie Dome

According to a recent story on ESPN, "The Kibbie Dome is like no other venue in college football.

It sits like an enormous barrel half-buried into the University of Idaho campus and, in fact, once was referred to as "a Campbell's Soup can cut in half" by a visiting coach.

It ranks as both an architectural marvel and the smallest home field in the Football Bowl Subdivision, holding about 16,500 fans.

Inside, the roof of laminated wooden beams arches over a field sunken below ground level, and new translucent panels over the end zones allow a flood of natural light. Goalposts are attached to the walls about 5 yards behind the end zone -- rather than from a post in the ground -- with those walls padded for players' protection.

The Dome has been called too small and outdated by some, yet embraced by others who've seen (and heard) it at its packed-to-full-volume glory.

At its best, it's a cozy, home-field advantage for the Vandals, a venue that prompts some teams to send scouts to take photos for coaches and players to study.

At its worst, it's a facility that holds so few people that Idaho projects only about $440,000 in ticket revenue this season -- or about 1.2 percent of the estimated $36 million generated by University of Texas football in 2011. "

----------------

Personal Feelings about the Dome - I think it's awesome. I attended WSU, which is 8 miles from the campus of Idaho. In fact, for most students at WSU Moscow, ID is the primary place you'd go to shop or possibly (on rare occasions) dine out. I went to the Kibbie Dome on a number of occasions and always loved the atmosphere. It's like a huge fieldhouse and doubles as their basketball arena. I'd love to see them keep expanding this thing in the future instead of building a new stadium, using architectural genius to expand the seating area to around 25,000 as has been proposed.

Last edited by Hellisan; 12-03-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Re: The Coaching Career of Rusty Reid

Schedules and Results

Idaho Vandals 2013 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Aug 31at North TexasLost, 24-13
Sep 7at WyomingLost, 41-27
Sep 14vs #24 Northern IllinoisLost, 41-38
Sep 21at Washington StateLost, 45-31
Sep 28vs TempleLost, 62-13
Oct 5vs Fresno StateLost, 38-24
Oct 12at Arkansas StateLost, 52-20
Oct 26at Ole MissLost, 59-23
Nov 2vs Texas StateWon, 24-23
Nov 16vs Holy CrossWon, 31-17
Nov 23at #14 Florida StateLost, 48-35
Nov 30at New Mexico StateWon, 36-10

Last edited by Hellisan; 01-08-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Idaho Vandals - 2013 Roster

We're going to give Taylor Davis the chance to start, although he's obviously an inferior talent overall compared to Chalich or Linehan. Linehan is redshirting this season and Chalich will be there to step in if Davis fails. Obviously, none of these guys are particularly appealing.

James Baker is clearly our "bellcow" running back and I like his size, speed, and strength in comparison to the rest of the group. He tires easily and is horrible at pass blocking, so he will rarely see time in pass blocking sets and will have to be spelled frequently. It's particularly lazy roster making that every one of the HB has an identical 65 catch rating.

The good thing is these guys aren't totally awful. The bad thing is they're all seniors. We're going to be in real dire straits next season. LaGrone has shown the ability to make tough catches but is real slow in the flats, has difficulty turning the ball upfield without getting taken down immediately.

For a group with such horrible ratings, they're pretty strong and have half-decent blocking ratings. Bad news is that in practice so far they have played to their OVR rating and we expect we'll struggle to keep the QB upright this year.

Defense: As bad as the offense is above, I think the defense is significantly worse. I don't have the time to get into it now and will probably skip this step as it's a little depressing. Should be able to dig into it next preseason.

Last edited by Hellisan; 12-03-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Good luck with the Vandals. They are by far the worst team to start with I think. At least if you go with Georgia State, South Alabama or a Texas school you have a leg up in recruiting.

I just started a teambuilder with Eastern Washington and it's hard to find solid 2* and 3* guys who want to come to a small school. Lucky for me I am finding success early on the field (Beat Idaho ) So I think I am up to 5 recruits in the first 12 weeks.

I grew up in Idaho, and have been to the Kibbie Dome several times in High School for State Football and Basketball. I then lived in Lewiston in my mid 20's for a couple of years and worked out a deal with both WSU and Idaho Athletic Departments to be season ticket holders for both Football and Basketball. (I sold paint coatings).

My only issue with Idaho, is I am from the Boise area, thus a Boise State fan, but it's hard to go to games at Idaho and not get your life threatened by drunk college students. After I got married my wife and I lived in Spokane for 7 years and I tried taking her to a BSU vs Idaho game and after being cussed at and treated like crap, she vowed to never go back.

I had a friend at the time attending USC, so went the Trojans came to Pullman he got me tickets in the USC section. Even though I wore WSU gear, I was treated with respect and had a good time talking with USC fans. Then again they weren't drunk college students.

Anyways. Will be following. Similar to you, I just love posting, but am not skilled in Photoshop. So I just throw in some real life pic's and have some guy's like Tazer19 make me a nice banner..

Again good luck with the Vandals. It will be tough.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

A Hellisan dynasty... so pumped!

Man, I still remember your UVA/MTSU one on NCAA 07 with the RB nicknamed Rumble. That was one of my favorite dynasties I've ever followed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
YaBoyRobRoy

LopaKa's Arena

OVR: 7

Hellisan! good to see you back at this brah, if I remember correctly you were the main dude at MM right? i'll definitely be following!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Good luck with the Vandals. They are by far the worst team to start with I think. At least if you go with Georgia State, South Alabama or a Texas school you have a leg up in recruiting.

I just started a teambuilder with Eastern Washington and it's hard to find solid 2* and 3* guys who want to come to a small school. Lucky for me I am finding success early on the field (Beat Idaho ) So I think I am up to 5 recruits in the first 12 weeks.

I grew up in Idaho, and have been to the Kibbie Dome several times in High School for State Football and Basketball. I then lived in Lewiston in my mid 20's for a couple of years and worked out a deal with both WSU and Idaho Athletic Departments to be season ticket holders for both Football and Basketball. (I sold paint coatings).

My only issue with Idaho, is I am from the Boise area, thus a Boise State fan, but it's hard to go to games at Idaho and not get your life threatened by drunk college students. After I got married my wife and I lived in Spokane for 7 years and I tried taking her to a BSU vs Idaho game and after being cussed at and treated like crap, she vowed to never go back.

I had a friend at the time attending USC, so went the Trojans came to Pullman he got me tickets in the USC section. Even though I wore WSU gear, I was treated with respect and had a good time talking with USC fans. Then again they weren't drunk college students.

Anyways. Will be following. Similar to you, I just love posting, but am not skilled in Photoshop. So I just throw in some real life pic's and have some guy's like Tazer19 make me a nice banner..

Again good luck with the Vandals. It will be tough.
Hope you're not insinuating I'm good with Photoshop , I don't even have it. All my crap is done in excel and then just pasted into photofiltre (free) and saved as a jpeg. Newb stuff. lawlz

Anyway, I can't agree more with what you said about the challenge of this team, it's a bummer when there aren't hardly any 2-star guys that will give the team a look.

thanks for taking a look amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsbuck
A Hellisan dynasty... so pumped!

Man, I still remember your UVA/MTSU one on NCAA 07 with the RB nicknamed Rumble. That was one of my favorite dynasties I've ever followed.
Sheeyit, I can't even remember, I haven't saved all those old files, it'd be fun to go through those now. All I know is UVA is still one of my favorite stadiums and I enjoyed that and the MTSU dynasty quite a bit. I appreciate you checking in, hopefully the years have been kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopaKa
Hellisan! good to see you back at this brah, if I remember correctly you were the main dude at MM right? i'll definitely be following!
BlyGilmore was the main man, I was one of our many do-nothing Administrators. I was a good mod (IMO) but a complete know-nothing with the inner workings of web programming stuff, I was useless. Thanks for checking in.

Last edited by Hellisan; 01-07-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Matchup Preview *|* August 31, 2013
@
Idaho Vandals
(0-0, 0-0 Away)
North Texas Mean Green
(0-0, 0-0 Home)
Game Notes
Coach Rusty Reid faces his first test as head coach of the Idaho Vandals, flying all the way to Denton, TX to face off against a team that looks vastly superior on paper. The Vandals are rated 63 OVR compared to 77 OVR for North Texas. On the road against superior athletes, don't be surprised to see the Vandals take it on the chin in Reid's first game at the helm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »