Home

Run Like Hell - The Legend of Dillon Powers

This is a discussion on Run Like Hell - The Legend of Dillon Powers within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #49
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Run Like Hell - The Legend of Dillon Powers

Rookie Diary
Dillon Powers
Runningback - Eastern Washington

From time to time we will feature a guest blog by former Eastern Washington RB Dillon Powers as he attempts to make the journey to the NFL

Just got back from the Pro Bowl. What an amazing experience! I took a ton of pictures that I will get posted. I'm gonna post a short day to day summary here.

Tuesday

Tuesday was all about travel. We flew out of Miami to LA then to Honolulu. We have five players from the Dolphins. Myself, FB Owen Marecic, guard Dallas Thomas, center Mike Pouncey and of course Cameron Wake. Lucky for the rest of us that Cam was there, he was the one that knew what we were supposed to be doing and where we had to be.

Anyway, Tuesday we just pretty much checked into the hotel and hung out. Me and Reggie took a swim in the ocean, that was awesome!

Wednesday

Wednesday we had our first practice. It was very laid back. The playbook is pretty basic, high school stuff almost. We took things pretty slow. The practice was at Pearl Harbor so that was pretty incredible. There were tons of local fans there and we all signed a lot of autographs. One kid had my jersey on! That was wild, of course I had to sign it! After practice there was a play 60 event, we all had a blast running around with the kids.

Thursday

Thursday we had another practice and actually had a lot of free time. Owen, his girlfriend, Reggie and I did a ton of sightseeing. We went scuba diving and took surfing lessons. I don't think I'll be getting back on a surfboard anytime soon. Owen did pretty well though.

Friday

Friday was the last real practice. Later on we got our jerseys and took team pictures. Me and Eric (Weddle) traded jerseys to see if anyone would notice. We both had 32 and nobody noticed until one of the photographers called Eric Dillon. They made us trade back. Friday night a bunch of us went out to dinner, Rob Gronkowski from the Patriots was there, he had us all rolling all night.

Saturday

Saturday was a day to really just do a final walk through practice and relax. Reggie and I went to lunch with the rest of the guys from the Dolphins. It was nice to hang out with those guys in a different environment. One of the coolest parts of the whole experience was when Charles Woodson announced he was retiring. He was one of my favorite players growing up so to be around him and be one of the first to hear that was pretty amazing. I was five when he got drafted.

Sunday

Game day! The game was a ton of fun, you have to kind of remind yourself that it's a different game and you're not really out there to go 110%. It was weird not starting but it was also a lot of fun to be on the sidelines with the other guys watching, almost like a spectator. Danny (Woodhead) started and tore it up. I really want to model my game after him, work on my receiving skills. Anyway, Drew Brees had a monster game and the NFC ended up winning 43-35. I had a decent game but it was really more about the experience for me.

We just got home about two hours ago so I think I'm gonna sleep for like a week.

Who do you guys have in the Superbowl? I was really surprised the Eagles took down the Saints, they're the hot team right now but I don't know if they have enough for Denver. Post your picks in the comments. Thanks again for reading. This may be the last one but I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by djp73; 04-02-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #50
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

Last edited by djp73; 04-02-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #51
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

Key Retirements

HC Tom Coughlin
QB Tom Brady
QB Rex Grossman
QB Matt Hasselbeck
QB Michael Vick
HB Fred Jackson
HB Willis McGahee
WR Randy Moss
DE James Harrison
DE Richard Seymour
LB John Abraham
LB Takeo Spikes
CB Nate Clements
FS Ryan Clark
FS Charles Woodson
K Jay Feely
K Sebastian Janikowski
K Adam Vinatieri

Last edited by djp73; 04-02-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #52
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

"Dillon, are you sure you have to leave so soon? Can't you stay just a few more days?"
"C'mon mom. I told you I have a lot of work to do before next season."
"But the season doesn't start until September. It's only March."
Dillon looked to his mother, then to Tom, her husband. He shook his head and continued eating his pork chops.
"Dear, there's much more to playing football than just showing up for games. Dillon has got to be ready." Tom explained as Dillon chewed and nodded.
Part of Dillon wishes he could stay longer, but there was work to be done and Dillon wanted to be even better than he was the year before. He wanted to start every game, no more injuries.
"I know." She replied. "I just miss having you around."
"Well. You guys should come visit. We have an extra room. Miami is beautiful."
"That sounds nice honey."

Dillon finished his meal and got dressed for a jog. He grabbed his iPod and headed out on a familiar route. He was engrossed in his workout and the music when he thought he heard his name. He pulled out one of his ear buds, slowed his pace and looked around.

"Dillon? Dillon Powers?" A female voice asked.
Dillon turned around to see Ashley Higgins, a girl that grew up a few miles away. She was maybe five or six years older than Dillon and had actually baby sat him when he was younger.
"Ashley!" He replied with a smile as she approached.
"I haven't seen you in forever!" She said as the two embraced.
"I know, since before I left for college I think."
"Yup, that's right." Ashley answered as she looked Dillon over. He had always been in shape but she definitely noticed the extra bulk. She resisted the urge to squeeze his bicep.
"What have you been up to?" Dillon asked as he tried to recall what she had been doing before he left.
"Oh still doing the office thing, pays the bills. Everyone knows what you're doing Mr. Football Star." She said with a smirk. "I watched most of your games."
"You did?" He asked, surprised she had kept tabs on him.
"Yup. College too. How long are you here for?"
"I actually fly out to Miami in the morning."
"Oh" Ashley replied, not hiding her disappointment. "I was hoping we would have time to catch up."
"That would be nice." Dillon said, wishing he could stay.
"I'll give you my number, call me next time you're home." She smiled.

Last edited by djp73; 03-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #53
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

As he carried his bags to the car Dillon noticed a nip in the air.
"Not gonna miss this." He said to himself as he zipped up his jacket and flipped up his hood. He loaded his last bag in the trunk of Tom's car and closed it as he looked around. He knew there were things he would miss about being home, but he was ready to be back in Miami getting ready for the season. After missing four games last year he felt like he had something to prove. He didn't want to be as good as he was last year, he wanted to be better.

"All set?" Tom asked, snapping Dillon from his daze.
"Yeah." He replied, walking to the passenger's door.
"Sorry your mom couldn't drive you, things are pretty busy at the office."
"It's ok, she always gets so emotional."
"Yeah, that's her." Tom said with a chuckle.

The drive to Portland International Airport was only about 20 minutes, there was no traffic on a Monday morning. Tom and Dillon made small talk, but the conversations were never deep. Tom and his mother had gotten together while he was away at college. Dillon liked Tom and he made his mom happy, Tom never tried to be a father figure and Dillon appreciated that.

Tom pulled up to the unloading zone and popped the trunk, the two got out of the car and unloaded Dillon's bags. He had packed lightly as he still had plenty of stuff back home.

"Take care of yourself and good luck this season." Tom said with a smile as he extended his hand.
"Thanks. Appreciate it." Dillon replied as he grabbed Tom's hand and shook it.

---

Dillon found his seat and reached to put his bag in the overhead. He packed it away and took a seat. He dug out his iPod and settled in for the nearly 8 hour flight. He sat back in his seat and closed his eyes as he let himself get lost in the music.

"Excuse me sir." Dillon heard as he felt a tap on the shoulder. "That's my seat." An older woman said, pointing to the window seat.
"Oh. Sorry ma'am." Dillon replied as he hurriedly got up, allowing the woman to reach her seat.
"Thank you dear." She said with a smile.
Dillon nodded and smiled back, returning to his seat once she had settled in.
He put his headphones back in and drifted off.

Dillon felt a tap on his shoulder and awoke.
He looked around groggily before realizing the tap had come from his neighbor, the older lady.
"I'm sorry, could I ask you to let me squeeze by?"
"No problem." He said with a smile as he allowed her out. He settled back down and watched her head to the bathroom. He didn't get too comfortable, knowing she would return soon.

She made her way back and plopped down into her seat.
She looked at Dillon and smiled.
"Are you a Dolphin's fan?" She asked, pointing to his sweatshirt and hat.
"Actually I play for them."
"Really?"
"Yeah, I'm going back to get ready for the season."
"Oh, that's so exciting. I'm going to Miami to visit my daughter and grandson, he's a big Miami fan."
"That's great. Always good to hear that." Dillon said with a smile. "Hang on one second." He said as he stood to reach into his carry on. He found a sharpie and sat back down.
"What's your grandson's name?"
"Billy, and I'm Ruth. What's your name?"
"I'm Dillon. Dillon Powers."
"Nice to meet you Dillon." Ruth said with a smile, extending her hand.
"Nice to meet you too, Ruth." He said, delicately shaking her hand. He took off his hat and signed it. "To Billy. Dillon Powers #32"
"Here you go Ruth, for Billy."
"Oh that's so sweet!" She said with a huge smile.

Last edited by djp73; 04-02-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #54
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

"How was the trip cuz?" Reggie asked Dillon as they bumped fists.
"Trip was good, always good to get home. Long *** flight though."
"Yeah man. I hear ya. Good to have you back man. I'm over here." Reggie said, pointing to the Tahoe.
"New rims man?" Dillon asked, noticing the shiny chrome additions.
"Yeah. That new deal we got, figured I'd dress it up a bit."
"Looks mean man." Dillon said, looking at them as he tossed his bag in the back seat.

The two caught up as they drove back to the apartment. Dillon felt a buzz from his phone and pulled it from his pocket. He smiled as he saw it was a text from Ashley.

"Was great seeing you. Dont be a stranger "
"it was great to see you too. ill keep in touch if you do."

Last edited by djp73; 04-02-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #55
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

The month of April flew by, Dillon spent most of his time in the gym, aside from a few team events and appearances. He felt stronger than last season. He felt good. He was ready. He looked over at Reggie, who was running on the treadmill next to him. Reggie caught his glace and gave him a nod.
"You good?" Reggie asked.
"Gimme like..." Dillon looked at the timer on his machine, it read 55:13. "Five minutes."
"Sure." Reggie answered.

"Good workout man." Dillon said as he and Reggie exited the gym.
"Hell yeah. Feeling good." Reggie said with a nod.
"So what's up this week?"
"Nothing special, I'm free all week. Just workouts."
"Nice. You wanna do something for the draft?"
"Probably just chill and watch it. The first round at least. See who we get."
"Sounds good. Want to get some people together or keep it low key?"
"Maybe I'll ask a couple guys from the team. Nothing crazy."

---

Dillon, Reggie, Charles Clay and Jordan Kovacs are all gathered at Reggie and Dillon's apartment to watch the draft. The first round is about half over.
"When do we pick again?" Jordan asked.
"Soon. 19th?" Charles answered.
"Yeah. 19." Reggie confirmed with a nod.
"This **** takes forever." Dillon said as the analysts talked about the most recent pick.
"No **** man. Imagine being there waiting to get picked? No thanks." Jordan said, shaking his head.
Jordan had gone undrafted, like Dillon and Charles was picked in the sixth round. None of them had that experience.
"So what do you think they're gonna draft?" Reggie asked.
"O line probably." Dillon theorized.
"Yeah. Hopefully." Charles agreed.
"We need some ****in' backers too." Jordan interjected.
"With the eighteenth pick..." Roger Goodell announced.
"Oh here we go. We're on the clock." Reggie said as he turned up the TV."
"I got a hunny it's a o lineman." Charles said, slapping a $100 bill on the table.
"I'll take that. Linebacker." Jordan smiled as he threw down two fifties.

"With the nineteenth pick in the 2014 draft the Miami Dolphins select..."
"Here we go."
"...Pablo Parker. Runningback..."
Dillon shot out of his seat, flipped the coffee table over and shouted "What the ****!" as he stormed out of the room.
Charles and Jordan looked at Reggie.
"****." Reggie said as he stood up and headed out the door on Dillon's trail.

Last edited by djp73; 04-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #56
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »