Home

Daring to Dream - The Dash Davis Story

This is a discussion on Daring to Dream - The Dash Davis Story within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Daring to Dream - The Dash Davis Story

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #26
Rookie

Posted college interests

Old 08-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
Rookie

Chapter Eight: Trouble in Paradise

The palm of Darius’ hands burned. He could feel the calluses begin to form. His arms didn’t burn, they just lost significant amounts of energy. He pushed halfway, but his efforts were in vain. The sweaty barbell fell onto his chest only for Dash to lean in and pick it up to its rack.

“Almost eight. You’re getting stronger,” Dash said while sliding on a 10 and a 5.

“I’m all legs though, I can’t be distracted with ‘arms’. Who needs arms?” Darius replied sarcastically.

Dash laid down onto the bench and lifted off the 185 weighted bar. He did eight impressive reps before racking it, “Yeah, that 185 squat really shows your leg devotion.”

Darius put up his middle finger, “205 bitch. I have hops though, which really matters.”

Dash shook his head, “You got me there, I can’t jump for ****.”

“I broke 15 inches last test out,” Kwame laughed while doing reverse curls.

“I got 19,” Marcus chimed in walking back from the water fountain.

“Nobody cares what you got. I’m 320. You know how much force that takes to get off the ground?”

Marcus grinned, “Nah, how much?”

“****, I thought you’d know,” Kwame replied while everyone laughed.
It was about 8:45 and Dash had finally convinced some his teammates to lift with him after practice. Weight training was life at Johnson so Dash really couldn’t get it out of his blood. Coach Armstead was still working on paper work in the back so they had another half an hour.

They had finished for the most part though. Dash had put them through a fairly strenuous workout. The air’s humidity caused the mirrored glass on the walls to fog up. The rubber floor grew slick with the amount of sweat from the players, mostly from Kwame. Kwame Smith was a fun-loving guy for the most part but had a tempered side. He had cornrows that lacked hang time. His face was covered in attempted facial hair. He was around 5’11 and had a barrel chest.

Marcus had the opposite build. He stood around 6’5 and weighed a light 270. He was a JV basketball player before Coach Armstead got him out. Marcus had the most collegiate attention of anyone on the team, including Dash. Marcus already decided he wasn’t going to play college football though. He’d rather focus on becoming a doctor when attending a university.

The group continued to laugh at each other while their bodies cooled off, “What are y’all gentleman still doing here.”

An older man walked in carting a mop and bucket. They’d all seen him before, but never spoke to him. He had matted dreads and a scraggly beard. His brown skin was covered in darker freckles. He had the appearance that he used to be in phenomenal shape, but not so much anymore. His plain black shirt was tucked into his blue jeans. He stood taller than most them, about the same height as Marcus.

“Sorry, we just finished,” Dash said as everyone stood up and made their way to the lockerroom.

The man grabbed Dash’s arm while everyone continued walking. They looked back and smiled before carrying on, “You’re Dash, aren’t you?”

He let go of his arm as Dash replied, “Yes, sir.”

“You’ve played two great games the last two weeks. I’ve been listening on the radio,” he said with a grin, revealing several missing teeth.
“Thanks, just trying to win.”

“You don’t flick your wrist enough,” the man said out of the blue.

Dash raised his eyebrow, “I don’t?”

“Nah, nah, let me show you. You got a ball?” he said while looking around.
Dash walked into the lockerroom, snatched a ball, and returned. He tossed the man the ball who proceeded to take it outside. Dash followed. The sun had already sank below the earth but its light highlighted the horizon. The man hopped the fence onto the football field.

“I ain’t some old man who don’t know nothing either,” the man spoke while turning and hitting Dash in the chest with a perfect spiral.

“You played I guess?”

“Hell yeah! Grew up in Georgia and played at a college here in Huntsville. It’s not around anymore.”

“Really? How good were you?” Dash questioned as he tossed the ball back over.

The man smiled, he probably loved talking about himself, “Good enough to make it on the Falcons practice squad. Kept messing up my ankle though, got dropped after two years.”

“Damn, you were good.”

“I could’ve been better. Never listened to any of my coaches. Especially the ones who wanted me to succeed the most. Always listen to your coaches, man. They know what they’re talking about.”

Dash and the man continued talking till there was no light except left except for the moon. Darius had ran out to tell Dash he had to go on home, Dash stayed though as Darius left. The janitor taught Dash some worthy tips on his release. They finally finished up around 9:30 and strutted back to the lockerroom.

“I’m Mr. Hollis, by the way,” the man said shaking Dash’s hand, “Let me train you.”

Dash stared into this man’s eyes. He could see the experience in them. A large amount of trust had already been installed in under an hour. Mr. Hollis had proven he had a vast knowledge of the position and the game. If Dash wanted to go to the next level, this was a great opportunity. Dash nodded and shook Mr. Hollis’ hand.

Dash walked on into the lockerroom and changed. Coach Armstead still sat in his office on the phone. Several minutes went by before he hung up. Dash knocked on the door and was waved in.

“Coach, can I have a ride home?”

“Sure, sure. Uh, take a seat though, I have to talk to you about something.”
Dash plopped down into a worn out metal chair. He assumed it was going to be about something strategic but the look on Coach Armstead’s face changed his mind. A knot formed in Dash’s stomach, he just looked on.

“I just got off the phone with my friend on the board. Apparently someone has filed some papers to them saying that you transferred illegally.”
Dash took a deep breath, “No, no, that can’t be. I live in district and everyone I talked to said it was okay.”

“I know, I know,” Coach Armstead nodded while wiping his face, “I’m not sure what they have on you, but my friend said it could work for them. We may have to forfeit our last two games and you may not be able to play the rest of the year.”

“We both know that’s bull**** though, coach,” Dash said while standing up, he was almost ready to cry out of pure anger.

“There’s a court date scheduled next Tuesday. You’re still playing Friday, I don’t care what anyone says.”

Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #28
Rookie

Last edited by footbrawl; 08-04-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #29
Rookie

Chapter Nine: The Next Chapter

Dash spun his phone around in his fingers. Thoughts scrambled around in his brain. He was thinking of the worst possible outcomes. It was already 8:03, he had no idea why the meeting hadn’t ended yet.

“Man, come walk with us. Don’t sit there and worry about it,” Darius spoke while grabbing Dash’s phone.

Dash nodded and stood up, following his friends through the park. They were all laughing about their usual stories from the day. Surprisingly, Marcus hadn’t called some bitch out on her awful weave and Kwame managed to not do anything repulsive.

“Oh ****, not this crew,” Darius shook his head as they wandered into another group loitering the sidewalks.

Apparently, they knew them from school somehow. Dash didn’t care about the scruffy looking fellows, he noticed a girl behind them under a tree reading a book. That’s textbook love story ****. If you see a pretty girl reading under a tree in a damn park and you don’t go talk to her, you just might deserve to castrated.

Dash had a bad habit of losing all of his cares in the world when he was frustrated. It was a mindset that since everything else wasn’t working, probability was this will. At any other point in time, he probably wouldn’t have walked over and started talking to a girl seemingly out of his league, but fate works in funny ways.

“Is that 18th century poetry by chance,” Dash asked, acting like he knew what he was talking about.

The girl lowered her book to reveal a face that captured Dash’s hopes and dreams. She had big cheeks with caramel skin and a huge smile. She looked like a goddess in Dash’s eyes. That may have been from the light peeking out from the dark, but nevertheless, she had Dash instantly. Her hair was pulled up in a ponytail, giving her odd grey eyes a stunning glimmer.

“Um, no. It’s just an English book,” she replied sarcastically.

If Dash had a gun on him he might have killed himself right there, but he was no quitter, “Oh, I speak English, sometimes.”

Dash cringed inside his mind as she replied, “What do you speak when you don’t speak English?”

Dash knew he was already looking stupid, so he might as well capitalize as if he was doing it on purpose, “Love.”

She started giggling and Dash felt like a god. He had small talk with her for a few minutes before asking for her number. She pulled a pen out of her backpack and wrote on a torn piece of notebook paper. The girl grinned while handing Dash the note.

“I’m Amanda.”

Right as Dash got the digits, a loud ruckus occurred behind him. He quickly turned to see Kwame and another dude wrestling for position. Darius went one on one with the guy’s friend. Darius hit the man three times before tackling him. Marcus chased after another bro who had no interest in retaliating. Quan, though timid, was in the mix, throwing punches just so he looked like he was fighting. Dash’s eyes were big as the brawl continued. He walked quickly over to the mess. Within a quick second, an image came flying out the side of his right eye. By the time he knew he’d messed up he was on the ground. A kid stood above him about to pounce. Marcus quickly shoved the boy off and chased after him.

Some adults stepped in and within a few minutes the fight had finally came to an end. He held his eye which was starting to swell. Darius, Kwame, Quan, and Marcus all celebrated with a fight well won. They walked back towards the parking lot. Dash looked back and saw that Amanda was no longer under the tree. Luckily, the note was still in his hand.

“Dash, you gotta jump in during fights man. It’s what brothers do,” Darius said while getting in the car.

Dash shook his head, “I know. I just don’t get in fights a lot. I don’t have that instinct to run and start swinging.”

“Well, if that **** happens again, we may need you. I know we weren’t that good before you came here, but one thing we did do was have each other’s backs,” Darius preached.

“That’s something Johnson players never did,” Dash sighed.

“You ain’t a Jaguar no more. You’re an Eagle, man. You’re a brother,” Darius smiled.

All the excitement did manage to get the meeting off of Dash’s mind. When he got of the car though, he was well reminded as his phone rang. Darius pulled off and Dash stood in his front yard with the sun setting behind his house. The phone kept sounding but he didn’t want to answer. He finally built up the courage.

“Hello?”

“Dash, it’s Mark.”

Mark was the lawyer who was given to him to defend his case, “How’d it go?”

“Eh, could’ve went better, but you are cleared to play and no wins have to be forfeited.”

“That’s great!”

“Yes, it is, but, I have to inform you of something. I first thought I shouldn’t, but you really should know.”

“What is it?” Dash questioned, mildly confused.

Mark took a silent moment then spoke, “You know how we thought some Butler people got a hold of some files and tried to turn them in on you, so they could win?”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“It wasn’t Butler.”

Dash shook his head, “It was Johnson wasn’t it?”

“No, it was your grandfather.”

Dash instantly was filled with emotion. Anger, hate, confusion. He quickly told Mark goodbye and ran in his house. His grandpa sat in his recliner watching television. He greeted Dash as though it was another regular day.

“Why Pawpaw?” Dash said.

His grandpa turned around, making a bottle of booze visible in between his legs, “What you talking about?”

“You tried to get me ineligible,” Dash replied sternly.

His grandpa’s face turned from confusion to anger, “Bull****, Dash. You know I ain’t do that ****.”

“Don’t sit there and lie to me. They have it on file,” Dash shook his head.
His grandpa tried to stand up but needed the assistance of his chair, “You listen here. I didn’t do that ****. I was framed.”

“You know what… if you don’t admit that you don’t want me to play because you can’t stand I ain’t playing at Johnson, I’m leaving.”

Dash’s grandfather walked eye to eye with Dash, the alcohol was coming strongly off his breath, “I… didn’t… ****ing… do it.”

“Bye,” Dash replied while turning and storming off to his bedroom.

He quickly started throwing clothes in his bag as he grandpa made his way to the doorway. Dodger Davis began beating on the walls, making a scene just to make one. Tears were now streaming down his face causing Dash to cry as well. They weren’t emotional guys but the sight of the other one in such distress upset them a lot.

“Where you gonna go, huh?” Dodger spoke through his angry tears.

“I don’t know, I’ll find a place,” Dash replied, neglecting to look his grandfather in the eyes and walking past him.

Dash opened the door, “David Davis III, if you walk out that door, I don’t want you back.”

Dash turned around, his heavy bag tightly gripped in his hands, and looked at the shell of what used to be his empowering grandfather. With several steps he walked out the door, not closing it, and onto the street. Dodger Davis fell to a knee, cried, and reached for a bottle.

Last edited by footbrawl; 08-04-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
Rookie

Starting two-a-days today so the frequency of material might slow up. Still going to try and keep a good pace though.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #31
Rookie

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #32
Rookie

I'd like some feedback on an idea guys. I really enjoy writing these stories and I was wondering if I could/should do a prologue to the current story starting Dash's freshman year. I would still continue with the current story on normal pace and work on the previous three seasons on the side. I would get a season complete then post it all at once.

Seems like much, but what do you guys think?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »