Home

Hard Knox Life - The Phil Knox Story

This is a discussion on Hard Knox Life - The Phil Knox Story within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
Rookie

cookingood's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Hard Knox Life - The Phil Knox Story

*After Practice*

My dad and I were in the car, driving back home. There was an awkward tension in the car, neither one of us budging to say anything.

Finally, he broke the silence. "How did you feel out there..? Feel good to be on that field again?" The expression on my face remained the same - blank. "Yes sir." I continued to stare out the window, completely torn by the fact that I had stunk up the joint during practice.

"That last play you were out there on the scrimmage..." My head shifted over towards him. "Yeah?" I asked. "What happened?" My face grew red, due to embarrassment and frustration. It wasn't often that I got shown up like I did and especially not where it mattered in the red zone.

"What happened is that I'm scared to have my leg snap the way it did ever again! I don't feel as fast, I don't think I can jump as high, I'm just not good anymore!" After throwing my short tantrum, I slouched back into my seat, letting out a deep sigh.

Another couple moments of silence and then my dad spoke again. "Hey, you can be good still. Maybe it's just rust. Who knows? Either way, I can't stop you from feeling the way that you're feeling. And look, if you're too scared to actually play hard and risk an injury again, maybe it's time you consider a different position or just quit entirely.. You need to decide soon if you want to actually make something out of all that talent... I've told you a million times before that in my heyday, I had tons of offers and opportunities, and I blew it."

I knew what he meant about blowing his chances already. In his senior year, he met my mother. Somehow she had convinced him to lead a different life other than that of a quarterback. After she did that, they settled down and he hasn't played since his high school days.

My dad was waiting for my response but I felt like I was going to blow a gasket again. I kept quiet as I muttered back at him. "I'm finishing the season.." Without letting the conversation drag on, I plugged in my headphones and put them over my ears, drowning everything out until we got home.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Rookie

cookingood's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Hard Knox Life - The Phil Knox Story

*August 29, 2013 - Night Before First Game - Family Dinner*

"Food's ready, boys!" My mom called out from the kitchen. I shut off the TV and rushed down stairs faster than I have in the past. She made something good, and I could tell just by the smell. "I-is that chicken that I'm smelling?" I entered the kitchen, staring at the beautiful fowl.

We had all took our seats, saying a quick prayer before we ate. Once the prayer was over, I began to devour everything in sight. I heard my parents giggling. "Hungry there, Phil?" My dad asked. I didn't want to be rude and my mouth was completely full. I had no intention of slowing down, so I just nodded and continued eating.

"First game tomorrow night, right?" Mom often didn't take interest in the sporting events but she would still go to support me and Dad. "Yep. Phil's first game back." My dad gave me a pat on the back. "Speaking of which, have you decided anything yet? Other than finishing out your high school career?"

I put everything down. I had been thinking about the conversation after practice ever since it had happened. "I want to keep playing. All the way to the pros if I can." Something else about the conversation had hit me though. Playing another position. It never went into consideration, seeing as how I'd been playing wide receiver for so many years.

"Okay, son. You have our support, just know that we're here for you..we'll see how you do tomorrow. You're still starting.. for now." Dad responded. The "for now" really hit home. I knew he couldn't favor me just because I was his son, but either way it hurt.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »