Home

Tradition is Tomorrow - Oregon Ducks (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on Tradition is Tomorrow - Oregon Ducks (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10
Tradition is Tomorrow - Oregon Ducks (NCAA 14)

"They're too finesse, too soft, too weak, too flashy..."

There will be no more excuses. The 2014 Oregon Ducks return one of the most talented teams in the country. Led by Heisman trophy front-runner Marcus Mariota, the Ducks look to make this the season that they finally win a National Championship.

Console - 360

Difficulty - "DucksForever Heisman Sliders."

Recruiting House Rules - Only allowed to sign 2 more players than seniors leaving. Only allowed to sign players equal to prestige rating. (2* program has to sign 2 star players or less).

Coach - Mark Helfrich. I do not plan on leaving Oregon. It is my ideal job, and I hope to keep them at the top for a while.

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

Re: Tradition is Tomorrow - Oregon Ducks (NCAA 14)

Offensive Philosophy

For those who are unfamiar with how the Oregon offense functions, I will give you a quick rundown.

BASIS

Oregon runs a spread offense predicated on zone reading defenders. This means that they will leave a certain defender unblocked and have multiple options on the play based on how the defender reacts. The majority of these reads are used in the run game, but there are some that are used in the passing game. The main goal of Oregon's offense is to run the ball to set up the pass as well as to isolate defenders in space. Oregon telegraphs what they're going to run more often than not, but they use defense's over agressiveness against themselves.

INSIDE ZONE READ

This is the base play of the Oregon offense. It is an inside run (between the tackle and the guard) from the shotgun. The quarterback reads the defensive end and determines whether or not he will give it to the tailback. If he gives it, the tailback will follow his zone blockers ("zone blocking" means that the lineman block a space or zone rather than blocking a man). If the quarterback keeps it, then he moves opposite the play side. On the inside zone, the running back can either run playside, bounce the run outside of the tackle, or reverse his field. This all depends on how the defense chooses to defend the play.

OUTSIDE ZONE READ

This is Oregon's changeup play. The read is the same as an inside zone read, but the zone blocking involves a kick-step to the play side. The running back, if he takes the read, runs parallel to the line of scrimmage and moves in step with his linemen. He then spots a hole and cuts on a 90 degree angle straight ahead.

POWER 16

The power play is also a changeup. The blocking is essentially the same as an inside zone read, but the guard opposite the play side pulls and leads the running back into the gap between the tackle and guard. There is also no zone reading on this play. The quarterback is simply handing the ball off.

BUCK SWEEP READ

The zone blocking is the same as in an outside read. The linemen take a kick-step to the playside. However, both guards pull to the playside on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle or tight end. The tailback needs to allow the guards to set up their blocks, and then explode outside the edge of their blocks. If the defense over commits to the play, the tailback back can cutback.

QB POWER

This play is dependant on the talent at quarterback, but expect the Ducks to run this play alot with Mariota at the helm. It is a fake read off of the power 16 play. Instead of giving the ball to the tailback on the play, the quarterback will fake it and run counter to the playside and pulling guard. It is not a read as the quarterback has pre-determined to keep the ball before the play.

BUBBLE SCREEN

This is Oregon's most important passing play. If defenders load the box to stop the run, Oregon will audible to throw a bubble screen to an outside receiver. Oregon uses this concept to get corners and safeties to cheat up to the line of scrimmage in order to beat them deep. (See the Rose Bowl game this year).

PASSING CONCEPTS

I would go much deeper into the passing concepts, but in order to keep things simple, Oregon relies on deception and numbers to creat space in the passing game. Almost every passing play is a play-action off of a running play. This causes safeties to peak into the backfield which opens up passing lanes. In addition to this, Oregon will often flood zones (as teams usually don't have the athleticism to match up with their receivers 1-on-1) by sending 3 or 4 receivers into the same area of the field. While this isn't a complex concept, Oregon's tempo causes teams to simplify their defenses which makes it much easier for a quarterback to determine where the windows are.

FORMATIONS

As I stated earlier, Oregon telegraphs which running plays they are about to run in order to get defenses to over react. An inside zone is shown by the running back lining up behind and offset the quarterback, an outside zone and buck sweep with the running back parallel with the quarterback, and a power 16 play can be either or. The hope is that the defenders will load the box and force a bubble screen, or load defenders on the play side and allow running backs to cut back. (This is why you see so many big plays as defenders are actually going into the right gaps, but Oregon's backs are taught to prepare for this as they reverse their field). In addition to this, Oregon will use formations to create space for their athletes. They usually run with 11 or 12 personnel, but the tight ends are often flexed out in order to create space for the backs.

TEMPO

Oregon's offense would not be successful without running plays extrordinarily fast. They run too many basic concepts to be effective without an upper hand. This "upper hand" is tempo (as well as well conditioned athletes). Oregon lines up so fast that defenders only have time to get into their stances. They don't have time to diagnose the formation and generate disguises. This forces coordinators (as I said before) to run basic defense that are easily communicated from the sidelines. For Oregon's case, this gives them vanilla looks to go up against and it allows them to see how many people are in the box.

CONCLUSION

There's obviously much more to Oregon's offense than this little footnote, but I figure that most of you don't want a novel. These are the concepts that I will base this dynasty off of, with a few wrinkles of course, and I look forwards to educate casual fans while being educated myself in the process.

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

Thoughts Heading Into the Season

Oregon clearly has the most talented and well-conditioned team this year in the PAC-12. Anything less than a North division championship would be a huge disappointment. However, it might be naive to predict a national championship. Oregon's defensive line and linebackers are talented but under-achievers. I don't expect a great defensive effort this season. In addition, the skill positions are talented but young. Relying on a freshmen running back and freshmen wide receivers could end up being problematic. However, Mariota is arguably the best player in the country so I don't think scoring will be too much of a problem.

Prediction 12-1 (PAC-12 Champions)

Old 02-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

OVR: 7

This should be a fun one, following
Old 02-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

Game Preview - South Dakota

The Coyotes come into this matchup as heavy underdogs (+45). It's for good reason, they went 4-8 last season and they're not even a serious threat to most FCS schools. Led by quarterback Kevin Earl, the Coyotes run a multiple offense with little success. With little athleticism at the skill positions, their options are severely limited. Defensively, the Coyotes really struggle to defend the run, but their pass defense is actually pretty solid. With all of this being said, as long as Oregon can shake off some preseason rust, they should run away with this one.

Keys to Victory

South Dakota has a lethal scheme on defense to counter their lack of talent. They typically run 0 coverage which has been a perenial problem for past Oregon teams. However, if Oregon is patient enough to run screens and sweeps early, the deep ball should be open late in the game.

Defensively, Oregon has the talent to take South Dakota's reveivers 1-on-1. Therefore, all they need to do is keep everything in front of them and tackle in space.

Prediction

Oregon rolls 55-10

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

This looks awfully promising. I'll be following.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

I'm from Oregon but I represent the other side of the "Pond" Go Beavers lol.
But I'm a fan of Mariota and this does look promising so i'll be reading to see how you handle the Ducks!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #8
MVP

RaiderAid89's Arena

I love watching Oregon, they are definitely my second favorite only behind my red raiders. Will be following for sure

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »