Home

Chiefs of the West: Kansas City Chiefs Franchise (FOF7)

This is a discussion on Chiefs of the West: Kansas City Chiefs Franchise (FOF7) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Chiefs of the West: Kansas City Chiefs Franchise (FOF7)

Chiefs Legend Calls Quits

By Len Pasquarelli
July 27, 2007 7:03 PM ET

"I have truly been blessed with the opportunity to play in the National Football League," he said. "I will be forever grateful to the Hunt family and
the Chiefs organization for the opportunity to come to Kansas City, where the community embraced me from Day 1."

Three-time pro-bowl tailback Priest Holmes, 34, spent the past few days counseling with family members and friends, and speaking with medical
experts about a re-occurrence of the neck problems that sidelined him for two years, two sources close to him told ESPN.com on Tuesday night.
The decision to retire came after Holmes painful strains working out with Eddie Kennison over the summer.

Chiefs team president Mason Suprite spoke with Holmes over the summer, urging the veteran tailback to ease his comeback process, ESPN.com's
John Clayton reported. According to a source, it wasn't that Holmes re-injured his neck as much as he experienced a recurrence of the symptoms
that led to his 18-month layoff.

Said the source close to Holmes: "This has been a cumulative thing. It wasn't just the incident in the 2005 game with San Diego, but rather a
succession of hits. From a life's standpoint, Priest will be fine. He just knows he can't play football anymore."

Holmes originally suffered severe head and neck trauma in an Oct. 30, 2005 game against the Chargers. He has spent nearly two years recovering
from the injuries and most league observers felt that Holmes would never play again.

Rumors swirled that Holmes would attempt to return to the team in the 2007 season, which he confirmed prior to the draft. Holmes spent the
final half of the 2005 season on injured reserve and the entire 2006 campaign on the NFL's physically unable to perform list. Because of the head
and neck trauma, and a serious hip injury that threatened to end his career in 2004, Holmes has played in only 19 games since the end of
the 2003 season.

Suprite appeared with Holmes and his three young sons at a news conference. Suprite said Holmes had an agreement with the club that he
would alert the Chiefs the moment he felt any danger of recurring injury to the head or neck.

"It's in everyone's best interest if he doesn't play," Suprite started. "He has been the epitome of Kansas Chiefs football; a hero. It has been
an extreme pleasure meeting and working with him.

In 106 appearances, Holmes has carried 1,780 times for 8,172 yards and 86 touchdowns. One of the NFL's premier all-around backs in his prime,
the former University of Texas star also has 339 receptions for 2,962 yards and eight touchdowns. He has posted four seasons with
1,000 yards rushing, including three years with more than 1,400 yards.

Holmes began his career with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted college free agent in 1998, and signed with the Chiefs as an unrestricted
free agent in 2001.

Holmes retirement puts even more pressure on the Chiefs front office working out the clauses and restructuring of Larry Johnson's contract.

"We'd like to think we're close in getting Larry and ourselves pleased," Ray Farmer, Director of Player Personnel states. "[Larry and his agent] want
a fair deal, as do we."

"As much as we try to do everything we could to prepare me, there's just one thing that seems like we couldn't technically prepare for," Holmes said.

"Now that we've seen that, now that I've had some symptoms, there's nothing really the helmet can do to provide that protection and to allow me
to do my job effectively. And we all know this is a business of performance.

"I believe that by having this opportunity for a younger player or even a newer player to come in and provide that production, that's definitely
needed for the Kansas City Chiefs at any position."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. Senior NFL writer John Clayton contributed to this story. Information from The Associated
Press was used in this report.

Last edited by MajorSupreme; 03-17-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 AM   #10
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

Who Will Start Week 1?

Brodie Croyle (left) and Damon Huard (right)are set to compete for starting QB spot this training camp

Story from Jason Whitlock

Training Camp is underway. And what would be training camp without some drama?

Let's step away from some of the bigger news: Larry Johnson's contract is still not restructured, Dwayne Bowe has not signed his rookie contract, and Priest Holmes announced his retirement the day training camp started.

But what Kansas fans sure are worried about is who comes out as signal caller for the Chiefs in their week one match-up against the Jacksonville Jaguars:

Damon Huard, career journeyman back-up vs. Brodie Croyle, up-and-coming gunslinger drafted last year in the third-round.

As the Chiefs head to camp, there is no obvious leader. Both Huard and Croyle believe the job is available to either. When asked about who he believed would win the job, he replied, "I have no idea. I think camp will unfold and things will play themselves out with preseason games and whatnot. I can't predict the future. All I can do is work hard and compete. May the best man win."

Croyle, in response to the same question: "All I can worry about is getting better every day and if they call my number for the first game, they call it," he said. "If not, I've just got to keep working."

When it comes down to it, both offer great qualities to the team. Brodie Croyle was drafted to be the quarterback of the future, so it is believed he'll start eventually. He displays a top-notch arm strength and veteran pocket-awareness. His gun-slinging attitude can only be compared to the great Brett Favre; he is always looking for that big play, that hole in the secondary. But that often leads Croyle to bad decisions; him thinking he can fit it into a tight spot and a defender making a play. Or, Croyle has a tendency to force the deep ball, regardless of the safety's position on the field.

Damon Huard brings experience, dependability, and leadership to the table. Eleven years in the league gives a guy an upper-hand on the game,he's seen it all and gives a team an edge. Downfield vision and the ability to read the defense has become second nature to Huard. And this aged vet has spent time behind NFL legend Dan Marino and future Hall of Famer Tom Brady, collecting the tools he needs to be a starting quarterback. The issue with Huard is durability. His lack of pocket mobility and average ability to sense the rush leaves him defenseless to blindside hits. Huard's playing-time last season in Trent Green's absence was cut short due to a groin injury. Plus, with his age, he isn't primed to be the team's quarterback for more than a couple of seasons.

At the end of the day, it comes down to Team President and General Manager Mason Suprite, Head Coach Herman Edwards, and Quarterbacks Coach Dick Curl to make the final decision.

"You want to put the best player in a position to win games for you. Whoever that is will be decided," Herm Edwards said. ''What's great about the decision is that no matter what decision you make there are going to be some opponents who say you shouldn't have made it."

Coach Edwards knows what he's talking about. He knows the game.

"You play to win the game."

Who would you start?
Old 03-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Rookie

Driveshaft815's Arena

Oooh, a FOF franchise! I've been on the fence about buying this for the past few weeks now, haven't made a decision yet though. Looks good so far, following!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaft815
Oooh, a FOF franchise! I've been on the fence about buying this for the past few weeks now, haven't made a decision yet though. Looks good so far, following!
Sweet, glad to have you along!
It's definitely a good game, but I'm holding out for OOTPs Beyond the Sideline Football. I believe that will be a superior text-sim game.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

This game does overalls in a pretty cool way. Based on your coaches' ratings, they give scouted overalls, making it even more important to have a good coaching staff. It is a player's current rating/potential future rating. It's a scale of 0-100, so 30-50 are average/good players. 60-70 good, 70-80 great, 80-90 very good, 90+ elite. There are very few 80+ players, and I love that. And these are always subject to change, based on playing results, coaching staff, etc.
Preseason Roster
QB Brodie Croyle 15/48
QB Damon Huard 43/43
QB Casey Printers 10/33
RB Jackie Battle 29/34
RB Larry Johnson** 77/77
RB Michael Bennett 36/36
RB Kolby Smith (R) 20/34
RB Derrick Ross 11/16
RB/WR Justin Phinisee 32/43
FB Ronnie Cruz 19/25
TE Tony Gonzalez 72/72
TE Kris Wilson 39/51
TE Michael Allen 15/28
WR Dwayne Bowe (R) ** 45/60
WR Eddie Drummond 24/27
WR Jacob Cote 8/17
WR Joe Horn 65/65
WR Samie Parker 24/34
WR Jeff Webb 22/44
WR Bobby Sippio 8/20
C Rudy Niswanger 7/14
C Casey Wiegman 25/25
G Brian Waters 45/45
G Grey Ruegamer 27/27
G Kirk Bellmore 16/38
T/G Hunter Wayne 8/9
T/G Will Svitek 36/58
T Damion McIntosh 51/51
T Herb Taylor (R) 19/38
P Dustin Colquitt 73/77
K Justin Medlock (R) 14/21
DE Jared Allen*** 74/81
DE/DT Turk McBride (R) 37/53
DE Gary Stills 31/31
DE Jimmy Wilkerson 30/31
DT Alphonso Boone 32/32
DT Ron Edwards 60/60
DT James Reed 35/35
DT Junior Siavii 30/35
DT Tank Tyler (R) 24/49
LB Derrick Johnson 54/57
LB Donnie Edwards 62/62
LB Napoleon Harris 51/51
LB Nate Harris 10/16
LB Boomer Grigsby 34/48
LB Keyaron Fox 12/17
LB Kris Griffin 18/20
LB Tamba Hali 51/61
CB Ty Law 68/68
CB Patrick Surtain 72/72
CB Rashad Barksdale (R) 19/29
CB Tyron Brackenridge (R) 14/32
CB Dimitri Patterson 40/40
S Bernard Pollard 47/50
S Jon McGraw 37/43
S Jarrad Page 23/35
S Benny Sapp 30/36
LS Monty Stallings 16/16

*Note: Lawrence Tynes traded to Giants... dammit.

**Contract Disputes (R) Rookie ***Suspended

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »