Home

Playoff Replay: Leaf's 1970 NFL Playoff Rewind

This is a discussion on Playoff Replay: Leaf's 1970 NFL Playoff Rewind within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3
Game 2, Lions @ Cowboys

"Cowboys Tame Lions in 35-7 Playoff Replay"

Dick LeBeau goes one-on-one with RB Calvin Hill

Game Recap:
This game wasn't even a close one. I had a great one in Cincinnati and Baltimore. This thing was a mismatch from the start!

Being that I play as the away team for the first half and the home team for the second half, I thought I might be able to keep it close with Dallas. However, All-Madden is unforgiving.

I felt bad for Lions RT Rocky Freitas who was getting his a$$ handed to him by Cowboys DE Larry Cole. My biggest issue with the Lions offense was the inability to even complete a short drop to get the offense into any sort of rhythm. The Cowboys defense was living up to its "Doomsday" moniker. There simply was no room for Altie Taylor to run and no time for Greg Landry to set-up to pass.

Down 21-0 before half, I punted away to the Cowboys and the Lions special teams was able to land a nasty hit stick on Bob Hayes causing a fumble deep in Cowboy territory. That set-up a quick strike pass from Landry to Charlie Sanders to make it 21-7 just before half.

Starting the second half, I really was just going to focus on running the ball with Calvin Hill to chew clock and get Dallas out with a rather easy win. However, opportunity presented itself when Detroit started cramming the box and with Bob Hayes on the outside, I had to test his tremendous speed and was able to connect on a couple of big plays in the second half to him. In fact, Hayes terrorized the Lions secondary. Neither Dick LeBeau or Lem Barney could handle him. Hayes nabbed 5 passes for an impressive 198 yards. TE "Iron" Mike Ditka also had a big day with 6 catches for 106 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The Dallas defense also flexed its muscle in the second half with multiple sacks and INTs. Credit really needs to be given to the middle of the front seven who simply forced Lions QB Greg Landry out of the pocket and into the waiting arms of Larry Cole and George Andrie all game long. Both men finished with 2 sacks each and DT Jethro Pugh also recorded a sack.

By the looks of it, this Dallas team is going to be tough to beat. They will play the winner of the San Francisco @ Minnesota game. I gotta say though, the possibility of a Doomsday Defense vs Purple People Eaters matchup in the NFC Title game is appealing.

Player of the Game:
WR "Bullet" Bob Hayes

Key Stats: 5 rec, 198 yds, 1 TD

WOW MOMENT:
Check out this pic, I have of Bob Hayes out-running Dick LeBeau by 5 yards on a "go" route.

Last edited by RyanLeaf16; 07-12-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

Re: Playoff Replay: Leaf's 1970 NFL Playoff Rewind

Next game on the schedule is Miami @ Oakland. I am really looking forward to this game. I think it has the potential of a down to the wire game. In keeping with the rules, I will start off as Miami in the first half and switch to Oakland in the second half. I'll have some great wideouts at my disposal on both sides. I am anxious to get a few balls downfield with Daryle Lamonica. Both teams have good defensive options to user as well. All in all, this is probably the best first round matchup on the docket.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

1970 Dolphins @ Raiders Playoff Replay Primer

I couldn't find any highlights from this game. All you can get is the "Sea of Hands" game from 1974. So I thought I would share this story from Raiders.com about the 1970 game which happened to be the Raiders first playoff win since the AFL-NFL merger.

Credit the story to Raymond Tioseco & Raiders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders.com

December 27, 1970
Today marks the 43rd anniversary of the Raiders 1970 NFL Division Playoff game against the Miami Dolphins where the Silver and Black came out victorious 21-14 thanks to the arm of QB Daryle Lamonica and the hands of CB Willie Brown.

It was a rainy December Sunday at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum as 54,401 fans filed in to witness the first playoff game the Raiders participated in after the AFL-NFL merger.

Oakland came into the game after finishing the season 8-4-2 with the best record in the newly formed AFC West. The Dolphins came to the Coliseum with a record of 10-4 and finished second behind the Baltimore Colts in the AFC East.

Miami won the opening coin toss and elected to receive. Raiders K Mike Eischeid kicked off to the Miami 2-yard line. After a return of 21 yards, the Dolphins started their opening drive at their own 23. The Dolphins went three-and-out and were forced to punt.

With 13:27 in the first quarter, the Raiders started their first drive at the Oakland 37. The offense was able to move the ball accumulating three first downs all the way to the Miami 16. Unable to move the ball any further, K George Blanda attempted a 23-yard field goal that missed wide right.

The Dolphins second drive started on their 20 with two runs from RB Larry Csonka for 5 yards and Mercury Morris for 7 yards picking up their first 1st down of the day. The Dolphins gained some momentum moving the ball all the way to the Oakland 18-yard line. Miami’s offense stalled and was forced to attempt a 24-yard field goal. K Garo Yepremian missed wide right and the game remained scoreless.

After an Oakland punt, the second quarter started with Miami holding possession of the ball on their own 43-yard line. The Dolphins went three-and-out and punted the ball for a touchback.
On the Oakland 20, Raiders RB Charlie Smith committed the game’s first turnover with a fumble.

Miami capitalized on Oakland’s mistake and after a first down run, QB Bob Griese passed to WR Paul Warfield for a 16-yard touchdown. After the Yepremian extra point, the Dolphins led the game 7-0.

The teams would trade punts until 4:35 left in the quarter when the Raiders started their first scoring drive of the game. Oakland would start the drive at their 38. RB Marv Hubbard opened the drive with a run to the left for 4 yards. After an incomplete pass, QB Daryle Lamonica connected with TE Raymond Chester down the middle for 21 yards. A pass to WR Fred Biletnikoff for 11 yards set up a game-tying touchdown pass. On 2nd and 10, Lamonica dropped back to pass and targeted Biletnikoff in the end zone for a 22-yard touchdown. After the Blanda extra point, the game was tied 7-7 with 1:50 left in the first half.

The half would end with the game tied at 7-7 and the Raiders set to receive to open the second half. The Raiders were able to accumulate 154 total offensive yards while allowing only 106 to Miami.

Yepremian kicked off to the Oakland 7 with the Raiders returning it 22 yards to their own 29. The Raiders were able to build on their momentum to end the first half and moved the ball with ease all the way to the Miami 2-yard line, threatening to make the game 14-7. Unfortunately, a costly fumble by Charlie Smith, his second of the day, prevented the Silver and Black from taking their first lead of the game.

The makings of a great team appear in times of adversity, and the Raiders’ defense came up big on the ensuing Dolphins’ drive.
Miami started their drive on their own 10, hoping to turn turnovers into points for the second time in the game. Griese opened the drive with a 24-yard strike to WR Warfield. After runs of 2 yards, Griese passed to RB Jim Kiick for nine yards.

With momentum threatening to shift to the visiting team, the Raiders’ defense rallied and came through with the game in the balance. On first and 10, Griese was sacked for a loss of 12 setting up the turning point in the game. After a run of three yards, Griese lined up for third and 19. Dropping back to pass, Griese attempted to connect with Warfield. Willie Brown stepped in front of the pass and returned it down the right sideline for a 50-yard touchdown making the game 14-7 after the extra point.
The third quarter would end with the same margin and Miami with the ball.
Miami started the fourth quarter on their own 48 and was still battling. After two first downs, the Dolphins were able to move the ball into field goal range all the way to the Oakland 17. Unable to score a touchdown, Yepremian missed a 24-yard attempt.

On the Raiders next possession, the offense showcased their flair for the dramatic. It took all but three plays for the Silver and Black to score a touchdown, but it didn’t come without excitement. After a first down run of four yards by RB Hubbard, RB Pete Banaszak almost gave the ball back to the Dolphins. Luckily the Raiders would recover. On third and 12, Lamonica dropped back to pass and zipped the ball to a streaking WR Rod Sherman who walked in to the end zone for an 82-yard game breaking touchdown, making the score 21-7 after the extra point.

Miami would answer on their ensuing drive, making it difficult for the Oakland fans to breathe easy. Griese led the Dolphins all the way to first and goal on the Oakland 7 and picking up five first downs on the drive. On first and goal, Griese passed to WR Willie Richardson for a 7-yard touchdown. The Dolphins though were still down 21-14 and were forced to attempt an onside kick.

With 4:28 left in the game, the Raiders recovered the onside kick attempt. The Raiders, playing the clock, ran the ball four consecutive times and punted the ball, believing in the strength of their defense.
With 2:28 left in the game, the Dolphins began their last drive of the game.

The Raiders defense, which played well all game, forced a turnover on downs and sealed a 21-14 victory which would set up a meeting with the Baltimore Colts in the next round.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

Looking like I will get the Miami & Oakland game in tonight. Definitely won't have a recap till tomorrow though
Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #13

Cheese2121's Arena

OVR: 1

Great premise and idea. I will absolutely be following along and checking in. Always been a big fan of your work. So cool to see the historic teams clash.

XBL Gamer Tag: MrCheese2121 (feel free to add/message me!)

Currently Playing:
NCAA '12 (Xbox 360)
Old 07-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese2121
Great premise and idea. I will absolutely be following along and checking in. Always been a big fan of your work. So cool to see the historic teams clash.
Thanks! I played the Miami/Oakland game last night and it lived up to my expectations. I'll have to post something later tonight as I'm on my way out the door to work.

Final game of the opening round is San Francisco @ Minnesota. With the winner getting Dallas. Should be a good one.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

Dolphins @ Raiders

Dolphins Outlast Raiders in Classic Battle

Dolphins FB Larry Csonka Leaps into the end zone

Game Notes:
This game was BY FAR, the best game of the group thus far. Only 1 touchdown was scored the entire game and both defenses played lights out!

Unfortunately somebody had to lose this one and the Raiders were on the wrong side of the scoreboard. Led by Daryle Lamonica, the Raiders offense was able to produce big plays, it just couldn't finish once inside the red zone.

Down 10-3 at half, the Raiders offense went 68 yards on the first two plays to start the third quarter. Both were big pass plays to Fred Biletnikoff for 45 an 23 yards. In scoring position on 4th down, the Raiders wanted 6 and not 3 and failed to convert a 4th and 4.

On the other side of the field, the Dolphins utilized a ground and pound strategy with Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick. Bob Griese didn't throw much, but he did find Paul Warfield enough to keep the Raiders defense from committing to the run on every play.

Leading 10-3 late, the Dolphins were forced to punt to the Raiders with just over a minute left in the game. Daryle Lamonica placed a perfect pass to Warren Wells on first down which would have put the Raiders well into Dolphins territory, however Wells dropped it when Lloyd Mumphord attempted to bring him down for a tackle which jarred the ball loose. Even still, that play would not have put the Raiders into the end zone, however, it would have put them a lot closer. Instead, the Raiders were forced to try and convert a 4th down and were unsuccessful.

So, instead of the a likely Raiders/Colts showdown in the AFC title game. We will get a Bengals/Dolphins showdown in Miami.

Player of the Game:
Miami Dolphins Offensive Line (Larry Little Pictured)

Key Stat: 0 SACKS allowed, 120+ rushing yards

Last edited by RyanLeaf16; 07-16-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #16

Cheese2121's Arena

OVR: 1

So cool to see Csonka leaping into the endzone. Should be some good matchups in the second round. I am anxious to see who will get Dallas.

XBL Gamer Tag: MrCheese2121 (feel free to add/message me!)

Currently Playing:
NCAA '12 (Xbox 360)

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »