Home

Shadows of a Family's Past (The Coaching Career of Mitchell Hayes)

This is a discussion on Shadows of a Family's Past (The Coaching Career of Mitchell Hayes) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Shadows of a Family's Past (The Coaching Career of Mitchell Hayes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerchops
Well perhaps you'll get that! If I do decide to go that route it'd probably be somewhat short chapters and wouldn't delve too much into the personal life of Mitchell, but just add some detail and make it a more human story.
I'm with him. A narrative would be great. Definitely giving you the follow back. Loved the opening storyline and all the rules you have laid out. Good luck at Wyoming! Always a tough team to rebuild.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan01
I'm with him. A narrative would be great. Definitely giving you the follow back. Loved the opening storyline and all the rules you have laid out. Good luck at Wyoming! Always a tough team to rebuild.

Well it sounds like that's what people want, I'm starting to brainstorm where I'd start off with that and think I'd be able to make it happen and have it be quality. And thanks! I wanted to make it challenging, hopefully I can at least make a name for myself with the offense there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #11
Rookie

Any thought of dominating the Mountain West then moving to PAC 12 or Big 12?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan01
Any thought of dominating the Mountain West then moving to PAC 12 or Big 12?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well I think it's safe to say I'll be coaching thru the 3 year contract at least as OC at Wyoming, as long as we can all keep our jobs there. And depending on how those seasons go, I think relocating back to Cali could be appealing to Mitchell. But there's family history in the Midwest and Ohio. It's all up in the air at this point!

Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Master of Disguise

TheOtherPotterGuy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerchops
Well perhaps you'll get that! If I do decide to go that route it'd probably be somewhat short chapters and wouldn't delve too much into the personal life of Mitchell, but just add some detail and make it a more human story.
I like the narrative idea as well. It keeps the game interesting when you play with characters that have a human element. I also agree with the somewhat short chapters sentiment if that's what you decide to do. I know that I can get....wordy..

NFL:Dallas Cowboys
NCAA:Texas Tech
NBA:Houston Rockets
MLB:Texas Rangers
Old 08-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #14
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherPotterGuy
I like the narrative idea as well. It keeps the game interesting when you play with characters that have a human element. I also agree with the somewhat short chapters sentiment if that's what you decide to do. I know that I can get....wordy..

Yeah I totally agree. I think I've decided I'll do a narrative style. But yeah I definitely would, and probably will too. It's hard not to when you're having such a good time writing it, but I'll have to force myself to cut it down a bit haha

Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

PROLOGUE I:

Mitchell gazed down at this cellphone, staring aimlessly at the screen opened to his messages to coach Craig Bohl. Taking a deep breath, he silently tapped the send button and quickly pressed the lock button and placed his phone face down on his desk in front of him. Well I can’t go back now, the message is sent, Mitchell thought to himself. The reality hadn’t quite hit him yet, as he grabbed his phone once more and opened up the messages again to read the text he had just sent.

I wanted to let you know that I’ll be signing the contract and am excited to be your next offensive coordinator Mr. Bohl. I look forward to meeting you again soon. Go Cowboys!

Mitchell had returned from his trip to Laramie just three days ago, the last of his few stops as he searched for his next coaching job. The University of Miami-Ohio and New Mexico both offered him their Running Backs coaching position and he had visited their campus and met with the coaching staff, but no offer could match that of Wyoming. None of the locations were the prettiest or had the best football program right now, but the opportunity to become an offensive coordinator was enough for Mitchell to be excited about.

His phone buzzed, the screen lighting up in his dark office as he read the response from coach Bohl. I’m really happy to hear that Hayes! We’re glad to have you as a member of our staff, I’ll let Tom know and we can start scheduling the next steps. We’ve got a few layovers from Virgen’s staff last year, but start thinking of and contacting some guys you’d like to work with next season. Go Cowboys!

The coach’s message drilled the reality into Mitchell’s mind a little more as he leaned back in his chair, taking another deep breath. I’m really doing it, I’m a true NCAA football coach now…but he also knew he’d have some work to do and there was no time to waste. His house had already been sold and packed up and now he knew where he’d be moving to, but he really hadn’t given much thought to who he’d want to have work under him. Craig Bohl was entering his second season as Wyoming’s head coach after leaving North Dakota State the prior year and taking his entire staff with him into the FCS, but after a poor year of performance in Fargo his offensive coordinator Brent Virgen left to become their next head coach and took with him Kenni Burns and Scott Fuchs and leaving gaps at QB coach, Wide Receivers, and Offensive Line. Part of Mitchell wished he could just coach the Running Backs himself, but Mike Bath was still around from last year and the last thing he wanted was to overhaul the entire staff as the newcomer.

Getting lost in his thoughts, Mitchell let out an extended yawn, having forgotten just how exhausted he was after the past few weeks. Knowing that tomorrow was bound to be another big day, he grabbed his phone and left the dark office bound for his bed. Lying himself down, Mitchell forced himself to close his eyes and numb himself to the anxiety growing inside him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of ringing woke Mitchell from his sleep, groggily opening his eyes and reaching over for his phone beside his bed. The name Jared lit up his screen as Mitchell reluctantly put the phone to his ear.

“Did you seriously have to wake me up this damn early Jared?”

“Oh come on Mitchell, I had to be the first to congratulate you, you’re my brother after all! Proud of you for getting the job man, but Wyoming? Seriously?” Jared laughed a little.

“It could be worse, I could be stuck in the same place for 43 years” he retorted, “But thank you, means a lot. I’m sure I’ll be getting plenty of these calls today, luckily you’re the only one who thought to do it at sunrise.”

“My bad, I forget sometimes that we’re so far ahead of you guys over here in Dayton. I’ll let you go now because I know you’ll have a lot on your plate for these next few days. Just be sure to give me a call when you need some help.”

“Yeah, will do Jared. See you later.”

Mitchell ended the call, setting his phone down and rolling back over but knowing that sleep wouldn’t find him again. Grabbing his phone once more he checked to see his messages, and sure enough he had several texts. Some from friends, others from family or old coaches he once worked with, but the only one he opened was a message from Julia.

Heard the big news this morning, congrats I’m sure you must be really happy. Good luck up there in the cold.

Mitchell gave an awkward grimace after reading the text, laying his head back on his pillow to try and forget the painful memories. He couldn’t find the motivation to move his thumbs to respond, and even if he could it’d be unlikely he could even find the right words to say. Instead Mitchell set the phone down and got himself out of bed, preparing for the long path ahead of him.

Last edited by Gingerchops; 08-15-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

Craig Bohl Presents New Offensive Coordinator

February 5th, 2015

Laramie, WY- An underwhelming first season of Cowboy football under Head Coach Craig Bohl was sold to fans as the “foundation year” that concluded in a 4-8 record and the third consecutive year without a bowl game. Hope for that foundation to truly be in place going into the coaching staff’s second year was put in jeopardy when Offensive Coordinator Brent Virgen announced three weeks ago that he’d be returning to the FCS and become the new Head Coach of North Dakota State.

Today, Bohl introduced Mitchell Hayes as Virgen's replacement, and with it guaranteed progress despite the turnover on the offensive side of the ball. “Yes we’re going to have some growing pains again on that side of the ball, but Hayes brings passion and inventiveness on offense and I think fans will be pleasantly surprised with how we will progress in spite of the coaching change.”

Mitchell is the grandson of famed Ohio State Head Coach Woody Hayes, who led the Buckeyes to several championships. Much like his iconic grandfather, Mitchell Hayes has made the “Smashmouth” style of offense successful in his past coaching gigs. Hayes spent that past two seasons as Head Coach of the Riverside City JUCO team in California, where he led them to a 9-1 record this past season.

When asked on how his playbook will mix with the “Spread” style that Bohl’s teams have utilized in each of his past seasons, Hayes had this to say: “I think our different schemes present both a challenge and an advantage. I’ve always been one to promote the importance of running the ball and daring the defense to stop us, but I’ve never had the arm talent that exists here in FBS Football either. I think it’s safe to say we’ll have an interesting offense to watch this season.”

The departure of Brent Virgen also left voids in the Cowboys’ Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, and Offensive Line coaching positions. “I’m aware of the vacancies and Craig and I have been discussing potential candidates to fill those positions and those will be announced within the coming weeks. For the coaches that remain from last year, we have no plans of replacing them at all.”

The legacy and controversy of his grandfather led to several tough questions for Hayes to answer, all of which he responded to in a similar fashion. “I’ve never felt pressure to be as successful as my grandfather, I didn’t know him much and all I know of his time as a football coach I’ve heard from relative’s stories. He was a good man and an even better coach, but I’ve got to just be my own person, and I hope I can do that here in Wyoming.”

When asked what exactly brought him from Southern California to the vastly different Laramie, Wyoming, Hayes noted the opportunity to coach at the FBS level and the comfort he’s already found in the isolated community.

Hayes displayed a calm and confident demeanor throughout the press conference and appeared to enjoy his time in front of the press, perhaps the exact opposite of his grandfather in that regard. But if Hayes can combine with Bohl to even produce a fraction of the College Football Hall of Famer’s success, Cowboy fans could have lots to be happy about in the coming years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »