Home

Rocco Griffin's Rise to the Top (A NCAA14 Coaching Dynasty)

This is a discussion on Rocco Griffin's Rise to the Top (A NCAA14 Coaching Dynasty) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:33 AM   #1
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

OVR: 0
Rocco Griffin's Rise to the Top (A NCAA14 Coaching Dynasty)

With winter break starting I am am finally back online and ready to give a NCAA dynasty another run. My first attempt overwhelmed me as I attempted to put in too much detail. This dynasty will still strive for high detail and strong realism, two qualities I hold highly in my gameplay, but it won't be excessive. I will look to making a more exciting and attractive opening in the future, but for now I wanted to get this thread started.

I hope you enjoy my dynasty and please comment as much as your heart desires. I love talking about my dynasty, as well as others, so stop by and let me know what you think. Let's get going!

Background Information:

Name: Rocco Griffin

Hometown: Denver, Colorado

Alma Mater: CU-Boulder

Playing History: 3-Star QB Recruit out of high school, chose Colorado over Colorado State, Washington State, and Idaho. Redshirted freshman year and then served as 3rd and 2nd string QB until Senior year. Traded starting role final season at Colorado and ended football career after graduation.

Coaching History: Brought onto Colorado staff by Brian Cabral after graduating and worked as QB and passing game assistant for 2011 season. Moved to Arizona in 2012 and worked with former teammate and friend Justin Adams for a season at Red Mountain Jesuit High School outside of Phoenix as an offensive coordinator. Adams left the following season to become a position coach under Todd Graham at Arizona State. Griffin became head coach of Red Mountain Jesuit and lead them to a combined 19-5 record in 2013 and 2014, including consecutive state championship game appearances.

Recruiting and Team Management Rules:

As a 1 Star team:

Total Number of Recruits: Seniors Leaving +2

1 Star Recruits Allowed: Unlimited(At least 25% of Class)
2 Star Recruits Allowed: Unlimited
3 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 2 Players, must be within Pipeline
4 Star Recruits Allowed: None(No Exceptions)
5 Star Recruits Allowed: None(No Exceptions)

As a 2 Star Team:

Total Number of Recruits: Seniors Leaving +3

3 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 4 Players, must be within Pipeline
4 Star Recruits Allowed: None(Unless #1 Choice within State)
5 Star Recruits Allowed: None(No Exceptions)

As a 3 Star Team:

Total Number of Recruits: Seniors Leaving +5

3 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 7 Players, 5 must be within Pipeline
4 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 2 Players, both must be within State
5 Star Recruits Allowed: None(Unless #1 Choice within State)

As a 4 Star Team:

Total Number of Recruits: Seniors Leaving +7

1 Star Recruits Allowed: Unlimited
2 Star Recruits Allowed: Unlimited(At least 25%)
3 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 10 Players, 7 must be within Pipeline
4 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 5 Players, 2 must be within State
5 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 2 Players, both must be within State

As a 5 Star Team:

Total Number of Recruits: Seniors Leaving +10

3 Star Recruits Allowed: Unlimited(At least 50%)
4 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 7 Players, 5 must be within Pipeline
5 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 4 Players, 2 must be within Pipeline

As a 6 Star Team:

Total Number of Recruits: Maximum Scholarships

3 Star Recruits Allowed: Unlimited(At least 25%)
4 Star Recruits Allowed: Unlimited(At least 25%)
5 Star Recruits Allowed: Max of 8 Players, 5 must be from Pipeline

Redshirts:

For sake of realism, a majority of recruits will be redshirted unless their rating indicates significant impact as a true freshman or if they're deemed necessary by my discretion for depth purposes.

Transfers:

For sake of realism and simplicity, I will not attempt to sway any players who wish to transfer.

Draft:

Players that have ratings below 85 overall and wish to leave early for the draft are capable of being swayed to return, all others will be free to leave. Exceptions will be in place for players who had an especially great season that included awards/records and such.

Injuries:

For all injures, excluding gameplay injuries that occur, I will be using random lists and selectors to determine who gets injured, and how serious the injury is. I will also be taking note of gameplay animations that seem especially vicious and will use randomizers to determine if injuries occurred or not, it is important to note that these injuries will never result in anything more than a mild to medium severity of injury.

If you would like me to explain exactly how I will be doing these injury simulations feel free to ask!

Editor:

I will be utilizing the EA Generic Editor during my dynasty. For this reason I won’t be importing any teambuilder teams as they don’t work with the editor. I’ll be using the editor for several things, mostly just to create a more realistic and enjoyable dynasty. With the Editor I’ll be able to institute the College Football Playoff as we now know, and potentially even expand it in the future. I’ll also keep the polls and results around the country more realistic, since often times NCAA will have several Mid-Majors going undefeated and being ranked in the Top 10, even though that never actually happens. This will insure that the rest of my dynasty is as realistic as I’m hoping my own gameplay and results will be, and will keep me in control of guiding this dynasty where I want it to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Master of Disguise

TheOtherPotterGuy's Arena

Re: Rocco Griffin's Rise to the Top (A NCAA14 Coaching Dynasty)

I hope it's ok to post! I really liked your first dynasty so I'll be following this. Good luck!

NFL:Dallas Cowboys
NCAA:Texas Tech
NBA:Houston Rockets
MLB:Texas Rangers
Old 12-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherPotterGuy
I hope it's ok to post! I really liked your first dynasty so I'll be following this. Good luck!
It sure is! Thanks man, I got way too caught up in school to keep my other one going but I've been trying to stay updated on yours. Yours is awesome and I'm glad it's really taken off!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

Tony Sanchez Fills Out Offensive Staff

Thomas Hendricks, UNLV Football Beat Writer

January 5th, 2015

Las Vegas, NV- Newly hired Head Coach Tony Sanchez brought with him a talented and promising defensive staff from Bishop Gorman High School, the school that he led until UNLV finalized his four year contract to take over as the Rebels’ head coach last week. Now nearly a week after his introduction, Sanchez has filled the vacancies on the opposite side of the ball with more coaches from the high school ranks.

On Wednesday afternoon UNLV confirmed that Rocco Griffin, 28, has signed and completed a deal to become offensive coordinator of the team. Griffin most recently has coached at Red Mountain Jesuit High School in Arizona, where he constructed a dynamic offense that led the school to their first two state championship games in nearly two decades.

Not only does Griffin’s hire come as a surprise due to his minimal name value, but his youth and inexperience as a coach have shrouded Sanchez’ choice in mystery.

Sanchez, however, has no doubt in the man he’s chosen to take over his team’s offense, “I’ve spent the first 15 years of my coaching career in high school, and I know that I easily deserved a chance before now. Griffin has earned this opportunity, and those familiar with Southwest high school football have heard plenty about the talent he has as a play caller regardless of his age.”

When asked to comment on the factor his age plays into his job, Griffin couldn’t help but shrug and laugh a little, “It comes as no surprise to me and I understand where the question marks are coming from. With that said, I know I’m ready for this but and I’ll be sure to clear all of those up. Dealing with doubters is part of the job, especially when you’re the new guy on the block.”

Along with the fans, Griffin will likely have his work cut out for him on the field as well, as UNLV struggled mightily on both sides of the ball in 2014, but for much of the season looked dreadful and sloppy offensively. Yet the challenging road ahead of him seems to be of no deterrent, “Regardless of the situation I’ve inherited, it’s a great one. Looking at this roster just on paper I see talent and potential to create a successful and competent offensive unit, and we’ll do just that.”

In the past Griffin primarily ran a spread-option offense, and while he’s not willing to confirm quite yet what system he’ll run with the Rebels, it seems likely that he’ll institute something similar. “I’m a strong proponent of creating a system that works best for the personal you have, but I have found success with my own strategy and I am confident that UNLV is ripe with players who can immediately succeed with it.”

It’s unclear exactly what the staff underneath Griffin will look like at this point, but both he and Sanchez confirmed that the majority of his staff from Red Mountain Jesuit would be joining him in Las Vegas next season.

It’s clear that Tony Sanchez took a considerable gamble with his hiring of the young aspiring coach as his offensive coordinator and play caller, but if there’s any city that can respect his boldness, it’s Vegas.

Last edited by Gingerchops; 01-17-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36

UNLV... Good choice , I had a lot of fun with them over the summer. Will be following!

Im assuming there's no storyline in this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

Welcome to the Griffin Gamble

Doug Bellamy, UNLV Sports for The Sun

January 11th, 2015

Las Vegas, NV- All of Las Vegas has now had a few days to digest the strange hire of the youthful Arizona high school (stud?) coach that is Rocco Griffin. UNLV head coach Tony Sanchez spurned David Maldonado, his longtime friend and offensive counterpart, and instead chose the up and coming play caller Griffin to be his offensive coordinator.

The decision has created several questions around Sanchez and what direction this UNLV football team is heading in. I remind you, this piece is not meant to chastise Sanchez or Griffin because it is early in the offseason and no judgment is fair until there’s a true produce to judge. With that said, let’s take a look at the problems I have with this hire:

1) A Failure Could Severely Hurt Sanchez

For a coach who has yet to coach a game at the collegiate level, or even spend a week at this level, a bad first hire could prove poisonous for Sanchez as he fights to earn respect as a head coach. It is rare to see a coach jump from high school to the FBS without at least spending a few years as a coordinator, but if Sanchez fails to prove that he can effectively lead a FBS program, he could very well doom himself to a career coordinator in college. While coordinators can be recyclable, the Griffin hire could be later used as ammunition for his demotion later.

2) Why Griffin?

When Sanchez was brought into UNLV, it was practically expected that he would be bringing with him all of Bishop-Gorman. After confirming his defensive staff would be taking his place there was several murmurs about David Maldonado taking the reigns of Sanchez’ offense once again. I actually applaud Sanchez for not just making the easy move and sticking to what he knows, but if you were going to go outside your comfort zone, why so far? If not Maldonado, why not an experienced veteran coach who knows his way around FBS football? Even hiring a position coach who had yet to get his chance makes more sense than Griffin.

3) The Timing of the Move

Perhaps Sanchez believed he had no other choice but to go out on a limb with his hire because of his limited connections within the FBS coaching ranks, but within a week of his hire Griffin was given the position. That shows me that this was a hasty and poorly-thought out plan. Along with that, why not just gamble by brining Griffin in to coach the QBs or something? Position coaches are where head coaches can take some chances and give a deserving guy a shot at making a name for himself, and there’s no reason why Sanchez could have opted for this route instead.

4) Is Griffin Truly Qualified?

As I said in my opener, I don’t want to chastise a guy I admittedly have zero evidence to go off at this point. However, the young coach’s track record doesn’t completely jump off the page. Experience as a collegiate quarterback is one thing, as is serving as a graduate assistant (For 1 year however) at Colorado. But the majority of Griffin’s resume exists in the high school ranks, where he called plays for a total of three years, and although he impressively led Red Mountain Jesuit to consecutive state championships, but both also ended in disappointing losses.

Perhaps Rocco will become the next Rock Star of Sin City, but Sanchez has left me and the rest of this city with several big questions about where the Rebels are headed. With that said, if Sanchez capitalizes on such a big hire he could be praised by fans, the school, and the college football world as a whole, and maybe if he’s lucky, even me.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Rookie

Gingerchops's Arena

One Month into the Sanchez Era and Offensive Question Marks Still Loom

David Bryant, Las Vegas Sports for The Sun

February 2nd, 2015

Las Vegas, NV- The NCAA coaching carousel is and ever-changing cycle that moves at a seemingly singular pace during the months of December and January: hyper-speed.

Such was true when UNLV announced the hiring of the local high school coaching legend in Tony Sanchez as the team’s new head coach. Within 24 hours of the news breaking Sanchez confirmed at his opening press conference that the entirety of his Bishop-Gorman defensive staff would stay intact and follow him to the collegiate level of Vegas. The surprise came on the opposite side of the ball, where Sanchez made the surprising (And highly criticized) decision to hire the young and inexperienced Rocco Griffin as his offensive coordinator.

Yet for some reason here in Las Vegas, the Running Rebels’ coaching staff are pumping their brakes.With the month of January fading and February beginning, the negatives associated with such a risky hire are finally showing their faces. Griffin has cemented his position as offensive coordinator, but below him are nothing but empty voids that have yet to be filled. Within a month of his arrival at UNLV not a single assistant has been named, and only few have been rumored.

It was expected that the majority of Griffin’s staff would follow him to Las Vegas, but if this were the case, wouldn’t it have occurred by now? It’s perceivable that a considerable wrench was thrown into the situation when his former quarterback coach, Jonathan Musson, was named Griffin’s replacement at Red Mountain Jesuit High School. However, it’s fair to expect a backup plan to be in place in case of such an event. Considering his history as a collegiate QB, one option is for Griffin to assume the role as both coordinator and QB coach, yet the overwhelming nature of the job that will surely hit the young coach could prove too much for him to take responsibility for both jobs.

Prior to Griffin’s hiring, many expected Sanchez to bring long-time friend and his offensive coordinator at Bishop-Gorman, David Maldonado, to complete his staff. Maldonado has been mentioned among the few candidates for the QB coaching positon, yet there has been no direct link between him and the university. Apart from Maldonado, Griffin’s ex-teammate and fellow Colorado quarterback Connor Ashcroft has been rumored to have interviewed for a spot on the staff.

“I’m not too worried about it,” Sanchez said on the topic earlier today, “It’s a long offseason, longer than people realize. Rocco [Griffin] has done an exceptional job so far as a member of this program, and I think the focus is on finding the right men for this staff, rather than the first available.”

Is the offseason really as long Sanchez is perceiving it to be? For a career high school coach, it is understandable why he would think so, but in the college football world time is everything, and UNLV is running out of it. The task of assembling the coaching staff falls on both Sanchez and Griffin, who was unavailable for comment on the matter, along with Athletic Director Tina Kunzer-Murphy. For a program that desperately needs to change both the culture and the personnel of the team this is surely a rocky start to the Sanchez era. Assistant coaches are critical in the recruiting process, a process completely new to all of the UNLV staff. Sanchez has yet to coach a game of football, but the negative noise around his program is growing louder and there’s no sign of it going away anytime soon.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

Looks solid, so far, I'm gonna be along for the ride

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »