Home

Feels like 98: Team 120 and beyond - A Tennessee Volunteers Dynasty

This is a discussion on Feels like 98: Team 120 and beyond - A Tennessee Volunteers Dynasty within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #17
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Feels like 98: Team 120 and beyond - A Tennessee Volunteers Dynasty

Defense is loaded but questions still loom
Talented D looks to impose their will on offenses in 2016

The 2016 defense will look much the same of the 2015 defense, as most of their key pieces to a successful 2015 campaign returns. The question lies much on if they can finish games, something the offense too struggled with in 2015. If the Vols are going to make a serious run at an SEC or National Championship, they must be more productive, especially in clutch moments.

Up front, Tennessee will undoubtedly be lead by Junior monster DE Derek Barnett. Barnett has been a sack machine in his first two seasons, and he doesn't appear to be letting up. Barnett, if he remains healthy and productive, could find himself atop the school leaders in sacks. Held by the late all-time great Reggie White, Barnett could easily surpass his mark, but the key is to remain healthy and have a steady amount of production. With a deep secondary this season, Barnett and company could give opposing offenses nightmares.

The linebackers will be lead by Senior standout Jalen Reeves-Maybin. Reeves-Maybin possesses another instinct on defense. His ability to sniff out plays is second to none. He is on track to further raise his NFL stock if he can once again have an outstanding season. If the front four can get pressure, the ability for Maybin to make a big play increases. He is definitely one that offenses need to prepare for.

The secondary is chocked full of talent. Senior CB Cam Sutton will look to be his normal, shutdown self in 2016, as he is the spotlighted player in the Vols secondary. Many offenses will more than likely look to go elsewhere on the field, as Sutton has an effective range, great technique, and the speed to stay with some of the best receivers in the nation.

The Vol cornerbacks will get plenty of help over the top as well, as Senior safety Ladarrell McNeil and Junior safeties Evan Berry and Todd Kelly Jr. will make up the most of this group. Evan Berry, most known for his return game skills, will get plenty of playing time this season in the secondary. If his coverage skills are anything like his return skills, watch out! It could be a special year for him on defense as well. Todd Kelly Jr. brings to the table a wide range of skills. His quick reaction puts him in the right places at the right times. He has a nose for the ball, so look for him to make some big plays in 2016. McNeil is a well-rounded safety with hard hitting capabilities. If any opposing skill players break into the secondary, they must keep an eye on him, as he possesses the ability to produce a turnover at any given moment.

OUTLOOK: The 2016 Vols defense looks poised to make a legitimate run at the SEC championship, and possibly a National title run. Under first year Defensive Coordinator Bob Shoop, the Vols should most certainly bring a tenacity much like the late 90 Big Orange defense. Depth could be an issue if injuries start to pile up. If they stay healthy it could be a special year for this group.

2016 Tennessee Defense

Old 06-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

Old 06-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #19
Rookie

DynasticJumper's Arena

OVR: 0

Five running backs for the Heisman? Good lord.

Very excited to see how this season turns out.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #20
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynasticJumper
Five running backs for the Heisman? Good lord.

Very excited to see how this season turns out.
Yeah I thought the same thing. I look for that to change, as the Heisman runners usually change quickly in the beginning of the season as I've seen before. Thanks for following!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #21
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

Vols overwhelm the Golden Eagles 30-3
Orange Swarm defense and the legs of Hurd carry the Vols to victory

Knoxville, TN (AP) -The 2016 season is finally here. Fans have been eagerly awaiting this moment. The Vols, who are coming off a 9-4 season after their 45-6 dismantling of Northwestern, kicked off the season at home, a game that was supposed to feature Appalachian State, but due to scheduling conflicts, the Vols found themselves looking for another opponent. In steps the Southern Miss Golden Eagles.

The Golden Eagles, who were coming off a 9-5 (7-1 C-USA) 2015 campaign, are familiar with Neyland Stadium. This is perhaps why the Golden Eagles were unphased, at least for the 1st quarter. Both the Vols and Golden Eagles played a defensive stalemate in the 1st quarter, leaving the Vol fans a bit restless. It's certainly not what they had in mind to open 2016.

Senior quarterback Josh Dobbs airs it out to Junior wide receiver Josh Smith for a 23 yard score.

That feeling would be short lived, however. The 2nd quarter saw the Vols get their act together offensively, and they maintained the early defensive tenacity that they opened the game with. After an Aaron Medley field goal that put the Vols on the board, they wasted no time in putting 7 on the board. After forcing the Golden Eagles to punt, Dobbs and company put together a brilliant drive, capping it off with a 23 yard pass from Josh Dobbs to Junior wideout Josh Smith. The score would give the Vols a 10-0 edge over the Golden Eagles. Late in the 2nd quarter, Tennessee would hit paydirt again, coming from a Dobbs screen pass to Junior running back Jalen Hurd, who took it 14 yards to the checkerboards, giving them a 17-0 lead. The Vols would add another field goal from Junior kicker Aaron Medley before the half, giving them the 20-0 advantage at the break.

Junior running back Jalen Hurd has some words with a Golden Eagle defender after his TD run in the 4th.

The second half was more of a defensive battle between both teams. Southern Miss finally found somewhat of an identity in the 3rd quarter, as they managed to gruel out a tough drive, only to have the Vols defense to stiffen. The Golden Eagles added 3 points from Freshman kicker Bobby Knox, cutting the Vols lead down to 20-3. The score would remain the same going into the final quarter.

The Vols, who continued their onslaught on both sides of the ball throughout the game, managed to get Jalen Hurd into the endzone once more, this time via the ground game. Hurd plunged into the checkerboard from 2 yards out, giving the Vols a 27-3 advantage midway through the final quarter. The second string would come in on mop up duty, but they weren't just content with running the clock out. The second string Vols offense managed to put themselves in a good position to score, but the bending Golden Eagle defense would not break. Aaron Medley added yet another field goal, giving the Vols a 30-3 commanding lead. The Vols second string defense would do the rest, holding the Golden Eagles and sealing their fate.

Quote:
"It feels good to start off on the right foot", stated Tennessee running back Jalen Hurd. "For us to come out and execute like we did in all aspects of the game speaks wonders for what our coaches bring to this team. They put us in the position to be the team we are today, it was our job to execute, and I feel we are playing great football at this point. We have to bring the same level of intensity next week against VT. We know they will be ready."
Quote:
Tennessee head coach Butch Jones - "I'm pleased with our effort tonight. We have a few mental errors to iron out and we will do that this week during practice. Aside of the turnovers, this is Tennessee Football and this is what our fans can expect week in and week out."
Quote:
"It's disappointing", said Southern Miss Head Coach Jay Hopson. "We felt we were well prepared coming in, but we were unable to sustain drives and capitalize on the turnovers we forced. Tennessee is a good football team and they showed it today."

With the win, the Vols move to 1-0, while the Golden Eagles fall to 0-1. The Vols will play host to Virginia Tech next week, a game that was moved away from the storied venue Bristol Motor Speedway due to construction issues. Virginia Tech is coming off a heart-breaking 24-22 loss in South Bend to #8 Notre Dame. The loss came on a last minute touchdown with a failed 2-point conversion. Virginia Tech failed two 2-point conversions in the 4th quarter.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Your graphics are awesome--and it makes me miss NCAA like crazy
Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #23
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
Your graphics are awesome--and it makes me miss NCAA like crazy
Thanks man i appreciate it. I'm going to be playing around a bit with the graphics in order to simplify some of my work. I am finding I'm spending a bit too much time in that area, so I'm going to simplify some of my work and keep the graphic designing to a minimum, as my time is somewhat limited and will become more so as I'm highly considering a return to school in the near future. So I want to be able to keep this as simple as I can but also give it a bit of flash as well.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #24
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

Boise State (1-0) -- 24
Ole Miss (0-1) -- 15

Penn State (1-0) -- 28
Temple (0-1) -- 21

UCLA (0-1) -- 24
Virginia (1-0) -- 40

Virginia Tech (0-1) -- 22