Home

Alternate Reality: A Chicago Bears Franchise

This is a discussion on Alternate Reality: A Chicago Bears Franchise within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #41
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Alternate Reality: A Chicago Bears Franchise

For Week 5 and beyond, I will be changing up the layout of this dynasty. For now on, instead of a game recap on just the Bears, I'll do a league round weekly wrap up like Chris Mortensen used to do.

Here's an example: https://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s...15/820639.html

Instead for the Bears I will write a mid-week piece on how the team is doing and have a game preview for their next opponent. I'll also keep writing an article a week focusing on a player and how they are doing around the league. I believe these changes will help me stay more invested in this franchise for the long haul and I hope you guys are ok with these changes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #42
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

Week 4 Scores

Old 07-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #43
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

The Maturation Of Ryan Leaf | Week 4

Ryan Leaf is becoming the top 10 QB we all thought he would be in 1998.

By: Chris Mortensen

Let's be honest, Ryan Leaf's rookie year was a disaster. I mean, 2 TD's to 15 interceptions is an abomination of a year. Everyone was on him, saying the Chargers were dumb for trading up and they'd have to find a new QB. And we can't forget Leaf's wonderful "don't f****** talk to me" tirade to a San Diego beat writer.

However, right after that season, former Chargers QB Dan Fouts reached out to Leaf to mentor him, and Leaf went along with it. Fouts worked on Leaf's mechanics and his partying ways, getting Leaf to study film more than he would head to Las Vegas. These things worked, as Leaf tossed 19 TD's to 10 picks in 1999, a major improvement from his rookie year.

At the start of this year, everybody called me a lunatic for having Leaf so high on my QB rankings, but so far Leaf is proving me right. Currently he's passed for 945 yards and 9 TD's, tied for 2nd in the NFL. He's also only thrown 2 picks this year, and he's really blossoming into the superstar we all thought he would be.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #44
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

Week 5 Wrap Up: Bills Are The Last Unbeaten

Bucs 31, Panthers 23

I'm not quite sure what's wrong with Steve Beuerlein, but he just doesn't look as sharp as he did last year. Sure he was 24/34, but he tossed another interception after only tossing 2 picks all season in 1999. Meanwhile, Shaun King continues to impress me, and right now I think the Bucs should stick with him and let Dilfer go.

Jets 30, Chargers 3

What's going on with Ryan Leaf? Last week he was only 7/24 for 127 yards and a TD. This week he was 9/17 for 93 yards and an interception, dropping the Chargers to 2-3. Meanwhile, Curtis Martin runs for over 100 yards yet again, and Brad Johnson is really starting to learn this Jets offense, throwing for 205 yards and 2 TD's and the Jets keep pace in the AFC East at 3-2, the toughest divison in football.

Rams 20, Dolphins 17

The Rams needed a 10 point 4th quarter comeback just to win this game, and they finally get back to above .500. Kurt Warner had another 300 yard performance, throwing 2 TD passes as well. However, the Rams are now down to their 4th string HB as 4th round pick Moses Nixon went down with an injury, so expect even more passing from Warner than before. Meanwhile, the Dolphins fall to 3-2, but they get their starting QB back next week as Jeff George returns from injury. Rookie Dontae Brown from Alabama struggled again, only gaining 44 yards on 17 carries.

Saints 36, Falcons 21

Somehow, someway the Saints are 3-2 even after losing starting QB Rob Johnson for the next month and a half. Backup QB Jake Delhomme played admirably in his first career start, throwing for 231 yards and 2 TD's. Meanwhile, Atlanta falls to 2-3 on the season, and this loss proves to me that the Falcons just don't have what it takes to be a playoff team quite yet. The problem is Chris Chandler doesn't have much time left.

Eagles 16, Bears 3

Let this sink in: the Bears had 17 yards of total offense. 17! How is that even possible in this day and age! Cade McNown was 1/6 for 6 yards and an interception before breaking his collarbone, and his days in Chicago are probably numbered. Same goes for head coach Dick Jauron and GM Mark Hatley. This Bears team has quit and if they don't want to go 0-16 they need to make changes now.

Packers 44, Texans 23

First off, I'll start off by saying the Packers have some major trade bait in QB Matt Hasselbeck. In just his second career start he threw for 404 yards and 4 TD's! Granted this Texans defense is just awful, but there's no way Hasselbeck isn't starting for another team in 2001. For the Texans, it appears they are making some progress, but they are on a 20 game losing streak and I don't see them winning anytime soon.

Colts 42, Titans 35

The Colts had a 35-7 lead to open the 4th quarter, but 3rd string QB Donald Hollas rallied the Titans to 28 4th quarter points before Peyton Manning led a game winning drive. This game showed me Peyton Manning is the best QB in the league, bar none. Another 267 yard, 4 TD performance has me a believer of him. Meanwhile, this Colts defense should be ashamed of themselves. You let ex-Bengals and Raiders QB Donald Hollas throw for 339 yards and 3 TD's on you? Jim Mora should have his entire defense run suicides after such an embarrassing performance.

Patriots 17, Steelers 16

Bill Cowher's Jay Fiedler experiment is currently not looking so hot as Fiedler was knocked out of another game, forcing now backup David Klinger to play. Klinger was mediocre, going 23/44 for 248 yards and an interception. Drew Bledsoe wasn't great, but Terry Allen picked up the slack, rushing for 76 yards and a TD. The Patriots move to 3-2 in a 3 way tie for 2nd in the AFC East, while the Steelers fall to 1-4. New England did have to pay a price for this win as they lost WR Troy Brown for the next month. For Pittsburgh, Jay Fiedler will be ready to go next week.

Vikings 19, Lions 13

While the Vikings lost Daunte Culpepper after 2 passes, and while Randall Cunningham was playing without Randy Moss and was pretty bad, the Vikings somehow knocked off the Detroit Lions. Vikings 2nd round pick Joey Pearson is really coming into his own, catching 6 balls for 113 yards. Cunningham and Leroy Hoard both ran for TD's, and the Vikings defense sacked Lions QB Charlie Batch 6 times. I think the Vikings are for real.

Giants 31, Browns 20

Kerry Collins had quite a day, passing for 355 yards and 3 TD's, but don't get too excited Giants fans. You were facing the Cleveland Browns, who look like they have given up after losing Tim Couch for the season. Cleveland's 1st round pick Shedrick French continues to struggle, only putting up 40 yards on 13 carries.

Cardinals 30, 49ers 22

Jake Plummer appears to have finally gotten himself under control as of late, this week tossing 234 yards and 2 TD's. San Francisco also lost Charlie Garner for the next month or so with a partial ACL tear.

Cowboys 34, Bengals 27

Believe it or not, but at 2-3 the Bengals currently lead the AFC North. Kordell Stewart was on fire this week, tossing 336 yards and 4 TD's. And for the Bengals, Akili Smith returns to action next week. Bleh.

Jaguars 37, Raiders 14

Pre-Rich Gannon's wrist injury, this looked like a good game. But when Bobby Hoying is your starting QB, you can expect to be blown out of your own building. Mark Brunell tossed 455 yards and 4 TD's, giving him a perfect passer rating. Jimmy Smith had 148 yards and Keenan McCardell had 116. This was just an embarrassment. I know Rich Gannon was out, but that doesn't mean the Raiders defense could just take the night off. The Raiders fall from the ranks of the unbeaten, and its going to be a long next 6 weeks before Rich Gannon returns. Meanwhile the Jaguars move to 3-1, and they look like they could be on a collison course with the Bills again in the AFC Championship.

Bills 24, Chiefs 17

This Bills team may not be impressive, but they just keep on winning. Let's face it, at 5-0 they are the best team in the NFL. Doug Flutie isn't putting up the numbers ex-Bills QB Rob Johnson is in New Orleans, but he keeps winning. I don't know what coach Wade Phillips has done, but this is quite the impressive coaching job he has done in Buffalo. For the Chiefs, Elvis Grbac is reverting back to his 1997 form, which is what they were hoping for, and with the Raiders without Rich Gannon if they can put together some wins they can steal this division again.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #45
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

Bears Wrap-Up: Week 5 | Eagles 16, Bears 3

Cade McNown getting injured on this play sealed his fate to me. He needs to go.

By: Dan Smith

My goodness. I'm speechless after such an abomination of a game. Well, I'm not totally speechless, I just lost my voice after yelling at the TV so much.

I hate to say it, but this Dick Jauron experiment is not working. The guy has lost 15 straight games. He's lost the team as well. Mark Hatley also needs to go. His draft picks have been horrible thus far, and he's only made the team worse since he joined.

Also, I think it's time to close the book on Cade McNown. The guy was a flash in the pan. I'll admit, I saw a lot of good things from him last year, and his 414 yard performance was a thing of beauty, but he's been horrible this season. Once again he gets injured, and on top of that this week I heard he got kicked out the Playboy mansion. What he was doing there in the first place I don't know, but obviously McNown prioritizes partying over football. Enough is enough with this kid, I'm tired of it. Sure, Curtis Enis has done nothing on the ground. Yes, the offensive line has quit on him. Yes the receivers continue to drop passes. But at some point we have to stop making excuses for McNown and look at the fact the guy has thrown 4 TD's to 9 interceptions, added into the fact that he's injury prone.

It's time to blow this team up. As Chicago enters the bye week this week, it's time to clean house. For 2001 this team needs a new coach, new GM, and a new QB. The Bears really need to take a hard look at Michigan QB Kasey Beckwith, the guy looks like the real deal. Next year must be the start of a total rebuild.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #46
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

Mel's Big Board 1.0 | Top 10 Prospects

1. Mack Bruton DT/Florida

Bruton continues to dominate SEC offensive lines as the leader on the stout Florida defense. He is the best player in this draft to me, but that could change as you'll see later.

2. Justin Bynes WR/Michigan

This kid just dominates Big 10 corners week in and week out, and he can become an accuracy eraser if he has to. He can catch any and everything you throw at him.

3. Tajvio Brandon T/Florida

While I wouldn't recommend starting Brandon at left tackle, he dominates on the right side of the line at Florida and I like Brandon a lot more than others do.

4. Zenel Daniels HB/Ole Miss

Daniels is the best back in this class, bar none. I have a higher grade on him than any back in the 2000 class, and as long as he stays healthy he's a top 5 pick.

5. Jamaan Kilgore WR/Clemson

Kilgore reminds me a lot of former Vikings receiver Cris Carter. He's a big body guy with great hands and he keeps moving mp my draft board.

6. Parker Hunter G/Michigan

You won't see Hunter getting drafted this high with him being a guard, but he's one of the best guards I've ever scouted. He is a leader on Michigan's stacked offensive line.

7. Kyle Fulton DE/Missouri

Fulton is quite the athlete, and his production so far this year backs that up.

8. Garrod Smith T/Texas

Smith continues to fly up everyone's draft board, including my own. He's an amazing athlete and he can play left tackle unlike his counterpart Brandon.

9. Darren Mims WR/NC State

The more I watch Mims, the more I am enamored by his athleticism. He will probably be the best receiver on my board by the time the draft rolls around.

10. Kasey Beckwith QB/Michigan

I'm starting to believe there is a franchise QB in this class. Beckwith, in his first full year as a starter makes NFL throws week in and week out, and if he keeps this up he will have to be the #1 player on my big board.

This draft appears to be strong for defensive lineman and wide receiver, so if you need either one of those positions you're in luck!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #47
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

Week 6 Wrap Up: Vikings, Jaguars Make Statements

Bengals 30, Steelers 24 (OT)

No this is not a typo, the Bengals are 3-3. Akili Smith was a game time decision, and he ended up being ruled out due to re-aggravating the injury in warmups. All Jeff Blake did was come in and throw for 336 yards and 2 TD's in a dramatic road overtime win. Corey Dillon added 84 yards and a TD on the ground while Willie Jackson caught 9 balls for 185 yards and 2 TD's. The Bengals lead the AFC North believe it or not. Meanwhile, the Steelers are 1-5. Jay Fiedler passed for 236 yards and 3 TD's, but this Steelers defense must play better. The Steelers being this bad is a shocking development early in this young season.

Lions 27, Titans 16

The Lions needed this game to keep pace with the Vikings and Packers and they got it with 20 4th quarter points. Charlie Batch had another efficient game, passing for 242 yards and 2 TD's, 153 yards going to Germane Crowell. Meanwhile, Steve McNair returned for the Titans, but he was not himself, going 19/41 and tossing 2 interceptions. Both of these teams are now 3-3 and it'll be interesting to see which direction they go the rest of the season.

Jets 28, Patriots 27

It took a 14 point 4th quarter comeback for the Jets to come back, and with that they move to 4-2. Brad Johnson is making the Jets look very wise for trading for him, and considering the Jets went 10-6 with Ray Lucas at QB in 1999, this team will be dangerous with an actual QB in Brad Johnson (sorry Ray Lucas). For the Patriots, this was a game they needed to keep pace in the AFC East, and they choked it away. I just don't think New England will be good enough to make the postseason again this year.

Raiders 33, Texans 6

I don't think its appropriate to ask how good the Raiders are after this game, rather its better to ask how are the Texans this bad? GM Charlie Casserly has had since 1997 to at least make this team somewhat competitive, and he sure hasn't done that. It will be quite painful to watch the Texans go 0-16 yet again, but they do play the Bears later in the season so there is hope.

Panthers 25, Chiefs 0

I had to do a double take to make sure I was watching Elvis Grbac in this game rather than Cade McNown. Grbac was a pitiful 12/29 for 89 yards and 3 interceptions. All the Panthers had to do was show up and they would win.

Ravens 37, Browns 31 (OT)

How the Ravens managed to go to overtime with the Browns is beyond me, but they should be ashamed of themselves. Browns QB Ty Detmer may find himself with a starting job next season, he played admirably again without a running game, throwing for 309 yards. The Ravens moved to 2-3, but they should be concerned that they couldn't destroy the Browns. At least Cleveland hasn't quit yet.

Rams 31, Bucs 30

In a 1999 NFC Championship Game rematch, the Rams needed 21 4th quarter points to shock the Bucs. Don't look now, but St. Louis has won 4 straight games. Rams 4th string HB Amp Lee ran 21 times for 50 yards, so while Faulk, Justin Watson and 4th round pick Moses Nixon are on the mend Warner will have to continue to pass 47 times for 343 yards like he did Sunday. Meanwhile, the Buccaneers need to be a little concerned. They are 2-3, which is in the cellar of the NFC South. If I had to choose a QB to stick with for Tampa Bay, I'd choose to keep King. King isn't very flashy, but he doesn't turn the ball over and he had more upside then Dilfer, who had one good year compared to 5 mediocre ones.

Jaguars 28, Colts 21

Don't count out those Jaguars. They continue their mission to return to the AFC Championship by showing the Colts who's king in the AFC South with this win. However, Jacksonville paid a big price when they lost Fred Taylor for the next month and a half with a broken wrist. Mark Brunell will really need to pick up his play to an even higher level, but alas the Jags are 4-1. For the Colts, Peyton Manning was sharp as usual, but for the first time this year the NFL's leading rusher Edgerrin James was shut down, only rushing for 77 yards and fumbling. Indianapolis just isn't quite ready to take the next step it seems.

Falcons 30, Chargers 24

It seems as soon as I give Ryan Leaf a little bit of praise, he lets me down. This week, after taking his 2nd sack in 3 plays he suffered a foot fracture which will keep him out for 3-4 weeks. Moses Moreno filled in adrimably, but the question remains how good is Ryan Leaf really? Meanwhile, Atlanta has rebounded to 3-3, and Chris Chandler is turning into his vintage self, tossing 295 yards and 3 TD's. He is turning Terance Mathis into a top tier WR, as Mathis caught 10 passes for 166 yards and 2 TD's.

Eagles 48, Redskins 17

Man do the Redskins miss 1st round pick Nash Vaughan. They could use him right now to try to save Washington's season because Rodney Peete isn't the answer. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder says he will have a meeting with head coach Norv Turner, and I think you know what that means. Meanwhile, where was this Eagles offense the first 5 weeks of the season? 2nd year QB Donovan McNabb passed for 266 and 2 TD's and ran for 82 and a TD, while HB Duce Staley ran for 105 yards himself and 2 TD's.

Broncos 31, Saints 28

This Broncos team is all Brian Griese. Without Griese, this team is contending for the #1 pick. With Griese, the Broncos can win close games like they did today. Griese passed for 258 and 3 TD's this week, and he continues to impress me. Terrell Davis finally returned, and he ran for 105 yards on 21 carries. Denver moves to 2-3, and they need to keep winning to keep place with the Raiders. For New Orleans, Jake Delhomme played well again this week, passing for 344 yards and 3 TD's. Jim Haslett runs a really QB friendly system, and making it easy for the QB to play well is the reason the Saints at 3-3 are in a 3 way tie for the division lead in the NFC South.

Seahawks 34, Cardinals 10

Jake Plummer reverted back to his pre-1999 form, going 7/21 for 60 yards. Yeah you won't win many games when your starting QB is that bad. Jon Kitna is taking care of the ball a lot better then he used to, passing for 324 yards and 2 TD's while only throwing one interception. The 2 headed monster of Ricky Waters and Ahman Green ran for 177 yards and 2 TD's. Seattle has quietly moved to a 4-1 record, and they lead the NFC West over the Rams.

Bills 23, 49ers 17

Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills amirite? Either way, Buffalo moves to 6-0 in their quest to defend their Super Bowl title, and Doug Flutie has quietly thrown 11 TD's to 1 interception so far this season. I told you guys he had elite upside! Onto the 49ers, while they do fall to 2-3 they cannot be mad at their performance this week. They fought hard, its just the Bills were a little better. Jeff Garcia continues to play well, throwing for 179 yards and 2 TD's, but San Francisco misses Charlie Garner a lot.

Vikings 42, Packers 20

The Vikings are legit. Despite the fact Daunte Culpepper was held out of this game due to a concussion he suffered last week, Randall Cunningham turned back the clock to 1998, going 18/20 for 235 yards with 2 TD's and an interception. Robert Smith added 86 yards and 2 TD's, and rookie sensation Joey Pearson from UCLA caught 6 passes for 73 yards. Now they have the tiebreaker over Green Bay after sweeping them this season. Meanwhile, Matt Hasselbeck somewhat came down to earth, "only" passing for 281 yards and throwing the first interception of his career, but he plays the Chicago Bears next week so he can pad his stats even more to ensure he will be starting for another team next season.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #48
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

Breaking: Redskins Fire Norv Turner, Terry Robiskie Named Interim Head Coach

Norv Turner is officially out as Redskins head coach.

Daniel Snyder, what have you done.

Snyder has chosen to fire Norv Turner after a 1-4 start this season. Terry Robiske will take over for Turner starting this upcoming week.

This is an awful idea. Why is Norv Turner 1-4 you ask? Because Rodney Peete is his QB! Norv Turner somehow got the Redskins to the playoffs at 10-6 last year despite this fact. This year Peete has regressed, while he's thrown 12 TD's, he's also thrown 9 costly interceptions. 1st round pick Nash Vaughan should've been starting by now, but he's out for the season with a PCL tear. Peete is not much more than a game manager, and with the running game struggling this season he's been asked to do a lot more than normal. Plus let's face it, Rodney Peete isn't a good QB.

Either way, this is a move I thought I would see coming, but I didn't think Snyder would actually do it. Norv Turner will be a hot head coaching canidate this offseason however.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »