Home

Maize's Chargers | Finding A Home, Building A Contender

This is a discussion on Maize's Chargers | Finding A Home, Building A Contender within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #9
YaBoyRobRoy

LopaKa's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Maize's Chargers | Finding A Home, Building A Contender

Welcome back to chising Maize, looking forward to this. That AFC West is a tough division, so it will be fun seeing you build up this Chargers team. I was personally bummed to find out I couldn't move the Raiders or Chargers to Vegas, but I'm excited to see where you choose.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
MVP

Maize08's Arena

OVR: 6

Chargers Now Turn to the Voters
The San Diego (for now), Super (not lately), Chargers (ironically, offense could use a 'charge'), followed a difficult offseason with a disappointing start to the 2016 season. A 3-6 record has not excited the fan base or bolstered support for the franchise in San Diego. The franchise that was outplayed by Stan Kroenke, has been scrambling since the decision made in last January's NFL Owners meeting.

The Spanos family had long butted heads with the City of San Diego, yet were adored and revered in NFL circles. That support was 'not' enough to push through their initial bid for a joint stadium with the Raiders in Carson. That bid was trumped by Stan Kroenke's privately financed fortress in Inglewood (ready to open for the 2019 NFL Season).

A shock at the time, the league's support for the Spanos family pushed the owners to strike a conciliatory deal for the Chargers in L.A. While the Rams had already been granted relocation, the Chargers had the option to join. Joining means contributing a $200 million stadium loan from the NFL and personal seat license fees to the construction costs and would pay $1 per year in rent to the Rams.

A potentially sweet deal for the Bolts, the franchise brass hesitated. Dean Spanos announced in late January that the team would remain in San Diego for the 2016 season. They wanted to try again for a stadium of their own in the city they called home since 1961.

Qualcomm Stadium opened in 1967 and has since fallen behind in the NFL's ongoing billion-dollar arm's race. The condition of the stadium had led the Spanos family to use the "lack of accommodations" as leverage to negotiate a favorable lease agreement. The Chargers can end their lease yearly, February to May, and pay an exit fee to the city. That penalty decreases each year, currently falling around $12 million dollars.

While "The Q" had once called the Padres tenants (now in state-of-the-art PetCo Park) and it had also hosted three Super Bowls. The most recent was in 2003, with the stadium starting to show its' age. By then, it was quickly becoming the oldest, non-Lambeau stadium in the NFL.

Flash forward to 2016, it became clear the Chargers were running low on options. Then came a proposal: A raise in the city's hotel tax to 16.5%, a four percent hike, as a means for the city to help pay for a new downtown stadium and convention center.

Ballot Proposal C became official in August, with vocal critics already firing a red flag at the idea of an NFL stadium in scenic, quaint downtown San Diego. A political game of hot potato insued, many public figures have decided to remain neutral on the matter. The city's Mayor Kevin Falcouner initially sent formal questions regarding the stadium proposal. He has since gone quiet, while public support remains low for the measure.

The Chargers consider it a chance for the city to host a "world class facility" for the Chargers, Comic Con and enough to draw attention for national events. Yet many residents (and fans) are upset that the team has again tried to poke the city for public funds.

"At the heart of this contentious proposal, is an inherent flaw." said a spokesman for the #NoOnC committee. "Beyond putting the city in a financial bind; this is a billion dollar sport that cannot seem to afford their own place to play. They cite record profits, but constantly strap taxpayers with the bill."

During this Sunday's game, in which the Chargers beat the Titans 35-10, attendance was sporadic and fans seemed disinterested in the franchise's second home win of the season. The team scored 3 touchdowns in the 4th Quarter to pull away. When Andre Williams ran in the final score of the day, a small swath of fans chanted "Too little, too late" and it turned into "Day late, dollar short."

That could very well be the case when voters decide on Ballot Measure C. Polls open at 7 AM tomorrow, with recent polls showing that #YesOnC is trailing mightily in the polls. To gain approval on a specific tax hike, it requires two-thirds majority from voters. Thus the Chargers need 67% tomorrow in favor, otherwise, the team is left scrambling. Again. Day late, dollar short.

Last edited by Maize08; 09-18-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #11
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #12
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Looks cool man. As a San Diego resident, I'm watching curiously. When I think about this issue, I only see one route that this can go. I don't think even the Spanos family would be thick enough to put together a ballot that needed a 2/3 majority to pass. They're SAYING that, but I'm thinking they have something up their sleeve and will get the state to approve a simple majority right before this thing goes to vote. I'm intrigued too. I really hope they stay, but they've mucked it up pretty bad. If Spanos simply had any type of public relations panache, this whole ordeal would have been over a LONG, LONG time ago.

I'll be reading bro.

edit: question, does the game have anything in it to allow you to build a new stadium to play in?

Last edited by Hellisan; 09-19-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #13
MVP

Tearz49ers's Arena

OVR: 0

Oh, hellloooo!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #14
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
Looks cool man. As a San Diego resident, I'm watching curiously. When I think about this issue, I only see one route that this can go. I don't think even the Spanos family would be thick enough to put together a ballot that needed a 2/3 majority to pass. They're SAYING that, but I'm thinking they have something up their sleeve and will get the state to approve a simple majority right before this thing goes to vote. I'm intrigued too. I really hope they stay, but they've mucked it up pretty bad. If Spanos simply had any type of public relations panache, this whole ordeal would have been over a LONG, LONG time ago.

I'll be reading bro.

edit: question, does the game have anything in it to allow you to build a new stadium to play in?
you can relocate to a new city/stadium or you can build a new one in the same city. Theres also options to renovate but that doesnt change the appearance.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #15
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopaKa
Welcome back to chising Maize, looking forward to this. That AFC West is a tough division, so it will be fun seeing you build up this Chargers team. I was personally bummed to find out I couldn't move the Raiders or Chargers to Vegas, but I'm excited to see where you choose.
Thank you! The west is definitely a tough division, especially with the Raiders getting better with a young roster. I like that the Chargers have a young roster, so there's some room to grow. Glad to see so many familiar faces, hope you enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan

I'll be reading bro.

I agree that there could be a contingent plan. I have this feeling that the Chargers could look to build elsewhere. The Spanos do not want to move in with Kroenke, that's for sure. I can understand wanting a place of their own, but time is running out in SD. I would be surprised if the stadium goes through downtown, maybe they can find another spot.

In the game, you have three stadium options (like djp mentioned). Relocating, upgrading and building a new stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearz49ers
Oh, hellloooo!
Hello sir! Good luck with the 49ers.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #16
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Election Results: Voters Strike Down Measure C
Results from yesterday's election have now been all reported. The City of San Diego had multiple ballot measures that faced contentious fights for approval. The San Diego Chargers mounted a strong fight for a new stadium, along with community action groups like the San Diego Stadium Coalition and Save Our Bolts. Voters stunningly rejected the plan, with only 39.6% of voters agreeing and voting 'Yes' on C.

Measure C would have increased the city's hotel tax by four percent. That increase in revenue would help pay for a downtown convention center and stadium. The plans were released in August with the ballot measure following shortly after. The new stadium would be build in the East Village, pending Tuesday's vote and two-thirds support from voters.

Bad news for the Chargers organization, who knew they were facing an uphill battle. Team chairman Dean Spanos released a statement on Wednesday morning. In it, Spanos stated "We knew it would be difficult, but our family was stunned by the election results."

The statement continued: "San Diego has been home to the Chargers for 55 years. We wanted to continue to be a member of this community and we will continue to search for a way to give our organization a proper home in this city. For now, we are exploring our options and will no longer pursue a downtown stadium development. The citizens have spoken and we will respect their decision."

The Chargers now have a few options. They could consider a major renovation to Qualcomm Stadium, something they had considered 10 years ago. Back then, the team also looked for public funds and were not supported in their efforts. At the time, the team estimated a $500 million dollar renovation, that number would likely be higher now.

Another option is moving the team to Los Angeles, becoming tenants in a new stadium venture with the Rams. They could also move temporarily to the Memorial Coliseum, where the team played their inaugural season in 1961. The team could end their lease with the city on Qualcomm Stadium and potentially move for the 2017 season. Either way, the Chargers must give the NFL an answer on their relocations by the end of January.

Finally, the team could consider another stadium location. Chula Vista and Oceanside have previously been proposed spots for a new stadium. Talks could increase if the Chargers look to remain in the area, but move out of Qualcomm.

The uncertainty remains as the Chargers prepare for a home game against the Miami Dolphins. Tickets remain for Sunday's game, with the team recently advertising ticket plans for the remaining home games for this season. Possibly, the last games in the city of San Diego.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »