Home

Buddy Lee Takes Over Northern Illinois! - NCAA '12 Dynasty

This is a discussion on Buddy Lee Takes Over Northern Illinois! - NCAA '12 Dynasty within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Demo Available Now, Features Kick-Off Mode and VOLTA Football - Post Your Impressions Here
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 08-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

OVR: 0
Buddy Lee Takes Over Northern Illinois! - NCAA '12 Dynasty

The Landscape:
It’s beginning of the 2011 season. In this alternate universe, Chip Kelly never leaves for the NFL, Mike Leach sticks around a little longer at Texas Tech, and Dave Doeren has an unexpected departure from his coaching duties at Northern Illinois. This leaves the Huskies with a head coaching vacancy for one Buddy Lee.

The Coach:
An Illinois native, Buddy developed an obsession for football at an early age, and was an avid fan of the Chicago Bears and the Fighting Illini football team. He played quarterback and middle linebacker in high school. His 6’5” 220 lb frame as well as his ability to throw like a cannon caught the attention of Illini head coach Lou Tepper who eventually offered him a scholarship. He was going to play his favorite sport at his favorite college.

Although he had a knack for reading defenses, Lee never had the talent to crack the starting lineup at Illinois. But he did serve well on the scout team and it was evident that coaching could be in his future. But he still wanted to play, so he requested a transfer to Central Michigan. He got a few starts in, but it became more evident that he was better suited as a mentor. After graduating, he became a Graduate assistant at CMU and learned the ins-and-outs of coaching. In 2001, he got a huge break as there became an opening at Quarterbacks Coach for the Chips. In 2005 he was promoted to Offensive Coordinator. His work with quarterbacks like Kent Smith and Dan Lefevour helped them break school and conference records in yardage and scoring. This got the attention of Northwestern who hired Buddy as Offensive Coordinator in 2009.

While Coach Lee was having continued success with the Wildcats offense in the Big Ten, Northern Illinois Huskies Head Coach Dave Doeren suffered an unexpected illness and had to resign. And now, NIU AD Jeff Compher has a decision to make. He believes it’s time to take a chance on Buddy. And so begins this dynasty...

Game: NCAA 12
System: PS3
Quarters: 8 min
Gameplay Difficulty: Heisman
Recruiting Difficulty: Heisman
Sliders: Matt10’s zero-based Heisman Sliders for NCAA 12
Rosters: The original rosters from the game. I changed all of the coaches and most of the players to reflect the true 2011-2012 season.
House Rules: Will only add 15 recruits to my board. Will only recruit one star above prestige level. Other than that, this game plays very well and provides a good challenge as is.

Last edited by OBinKC; 09-09-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Re: Buddy Lee Takes Over Northern Illinois! - NCAA '12 Dynasty

Reserved for Yearly Recaps
Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Reserved for National Awards and Bowl results.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Buddy Lee addressed the media as the new head coach of the Huskies

Huskies Hire Buddy Lee

February 16, 2011 9:28am

DeKalb, IL -- Northern Illinois Athletic Director Jeff Compher made it official Wednesday when he announced the hiring of Northwestern offensive coordinator Buddy Lee as the new head football coach of the Huskies. Together they addressed the media for a question-and-answer session at their athletic facilities. The following is the exchange between Lee and the press:

Lee: First I’d like to thank Mr. Peters (NIU President) and Mr. Compher for this opportunity. This program is in a good place right now and I am honored to be trusted to keep it trending upward.

We have the potential to do great things here. Both on the field and off the field. My wife Jeannine and I hold the Chicagoland area in our hearts and want to be involved in the community. But besides that, I’m really impressed with the caliber of players I’ve inherited. There are a lot of returning starters that will be strong leaders on the field. I predict this to be a fairly seamless transition from the old guard to the new system. I’m really excited for this season! So now that we’ve got the pleasantries taken care of, let’s get to the fun stuff! I’ll take questions now.

Press: Hi, Dave Kaplan, CSN Chicago. Speaking of new systems, what are you planning to install here at NIU?

Lee: Although I don’t really plan on getting too far into scheme today, I will say that we will run from a one-back system. You will see a lot of single runningback sets with either two tight ends, three wide receivers, or four wide receivers depending on how we’re planning to attack. We have some good offensive linemen and that will be utilized with some under-center sets. I know that this team had a pistol-based system before, so there will be some transitioning going on but I don’t foresee any problems there.

On defense, we will be transitioning to a 3-4 defense. This will happen over time. I don’t expect our guys to come in and have to learn a whole new scheme in year one. They will use a lot of the same principles from the system they already know. But the versatility of the 3-4 will be beneficial when we do in fact have the personnel for it.

Press: Jerry Fitzpatrick with the Daily Herald here. Do you have any concerns about the fact that you’re taking a proven 4-3 defense with which this team has had success and trying to re-invent the wheel, so to speak?

Lee: Not at all. In this day and age, the terms “4-3” and “3-4” are very basic ways to describe defensive personnel. But with the prevalence of the spread offense, there are so many sub packages and needing to stay in nickel a lot of the time, the important thing to focus on is the gap assignments of the defensive fronts. A lot of them will be the same, especially in this first season. Over time, we will implement things to switch it up, and again, make us more versatile.

Press: David Schuster, Sports Radio 670 The Score. So if it’s not really a big deal to change things up, why make these changes at all? Like Jerry said, if it was working, what is the point of trying something else? Is it just so you can make your mark on this team or what is it?

Lee: If I tried to be like somebody else; do it the way other people did it instead of being myself, I wouldn’t believe in myself and my own potential. That would greatly diminish what we are going to accomplish here. And you can mark my words, Northern Illinois will win conference titles and go to big bowl games. All I can ask right now is that you have patience and faith in the new system.

Press: Jeff Thompson, NIUhiskies.com. How soon will we see your new staff?

Lee: I’ve got some names of potential candidates already and I hope to have a staff hired soon.

Kaplan: I know I asked about the system you want to install. What kind of overall identity do you want this team to have?

Lee: I think every coach in the world will tell you that they want a hard-nosed team that is versatile and can handle any type of plan the opponent throws at you. A team with a defense that hits hard and causes turnovers. A very smart team. Efficient on first downs and on and on. We all want that. I’ll just say that I want us to look like overachievers and I want us to put up numbers that make defenses afraid to play us, and make offenses pressured to keep up with us.

Lee, 35, brings a decade of coaching experience, mostly on the offensive side of the ball.

Graduate Assistant, Central Michigan (1999-2000)
Quarterbacks coach, Central Michigan (2001-2004)
Offensive Coordinator, Central Michigan (2005-2007)
Offensive Coordinator, Northwestern University (2009-2010)
Head Coach, Northern Illinois (2011)

Last edited by OBinKC; 09-09-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Lee Coaching Staff Complete
March 1, 2011 2:00pm

Huskies Football Head Coach Buddy Lee has announced his entire coaching staff today. Starting with his offensive coordinator, he has selected Kevin Duhr, with whom he coached on the offensive side at Central Michigan.

"The great thing about getting to hire Kevin is that we were always on the same page schematically", said Lee in an interview. "And right now we both know what we want to do here before we've even started."

On defense, the new coordinator is Freddie Green. Green is a former teammate of Lee's at Illinois who played strong safety for the Illini from 1995 to 1998. After serving as a Graduate Assistant with Lee, he stayed on as linebackers coach for two years before bumping around the midwest in different coaching capacities.

"The thing about Freddie is that he was a very versatile player who could play safety, cornerback, and even outside linebacker in certain cases. He has a well-rounded understanding of the defense and I completely trust his vision for this team."

Below is the complete list of positions the Huskies have now filled.

Quarterbacks Coach - Ryan Herschfelder
Running backs Coach - Antoine Price
Wide Receivers Coach - Marquis Mosely
Offensive Line Coach - Chris Murdock
Defensive Line Coach - Scott Greenfield
Linebackers Coach - Craig Zeille
Defensive Backs Coach - Travis Williams
Special Teams Coach - Dave Martin
Quality Control Coach - Jeff Book

Last edited by OBinKC; 08-23-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »