Home

The coaching career of Gregory James (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on The coaching career of Gregory James (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
The coaching career of Gregory James (NCAA 14)

Hello all,

I've always wanted to do one of these things, so I'm kicking off a dynasty following the coaching career of 28-year-old Gregory James. James was a backup quarterback at Ohio University who coached quarterbacks at Avon Lake his first year out of college during the 2016 season. James was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2017 and 2018 campaigns, before becoming the head coach in 2019 and 2020.

As offensive coordinator and head coach, James' trademark spread offense broke conference records in each year. The 2019 team finished 13-2, losing in the state championship game, while the 2020 team finished 14-1, with another defeat in the state title game.

Despite struggles in the biggest games, James decided to make a BIG jump, taking his talents to FBS College Football. Nearby Akron decided to take a chance on James, offering him a job as the offensive coordinator under Head Coach Tom Arth. Arth's Akron squad was 0-12 in 2019, so the team hoped to bring in a young coach to put together a creative offensive gameplan.

I'm going to play this dynasty on Heisman sliders. My plan is to play a few games per season, but also simulate some as well (TBD on the amount). I'll write up some game stories for the games that I play, and I'll hopefully add some photos and other content. My next post will be about meeting the team for the 2020 season!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: The coaching career of Gregory James (NCAA 14)

The 2020 Akron Zips

Fall camp has just wrapped up, and the 2020 Akron Zips are preparing for the opening game against #21 UCF.

Offensive Coordinator Greg James and Zips Head Coach Tom Arth decided to give the nod at Quarterback to redshirt senior Kato Nelson. Nelson edged out RS-SO T.J. DeShields and RS-FR Zach Gibson for the nod. James said the margin was razor-thin at the position and told media members on Friday before the game that it's possible other players could see time at QB.

James also discussed other key positions across the offense. Redshirt senior Cole Gest will start the game at tailback for the Zips. "We decided to go with some veteran experience in the backfield," James said, adding that Nelson and Gest's speed and athletic ability could pose problems for opposing defenses. Juniors Jeremiah Knight and Teon Dollard will backup Gest. At the receiver position, James said 6'2 senior Nate Stewart had an impressive camp. Behind Stewart, opportunities will be up for grabs between juniors Julian Hicks, George Qualls Jr., Marquis Whitmire and true sophomore Michael Mathison. James also said he hopes the team can find a way to get Jordyn Riley (JR defensive back) on the field for the offense. "He's the most athletic player on the team, I'm just hoping Coach Arth will give us a chance to put the ball in his hands from time to time."

The TE group may be the most gifted of all, led by (RS-SO) Maverick Wolfley. Brycen Yarmo and Zack Leininger, who are better blockers than pass-catchers will also see time at TE. Four freshmen will start on the offensive line, flanking senior captain Bryce Petersen at center.

Season Outlook
After an 0-12 season, ESPN's team of sportswriters chose Akron to finish 11th, just one spot ahead of last-place Bowling Green. MAC reporter Terry Jones had this to say:

"The Zips haven't won a game since 2018, and I'm not sure they will break that skid this season. They don't have a player that sticks out on either side of the ball, and the defense has a chance to break all of the wrong types of records. New OC Gregory James is being sold as the savior of an offense that just hasn't been able to win games lately, I don't buy it. My prediction? The Zips go 0-12 once again."

Further proving the lack of respect from the media and other coaches around the league, Akron didn't have a player named to the 1st- or 2nd-team All-MAC squads.

Here is the schedule for this year:
Week 1: @ #21 UCF
Week 2: Louisiana-Lafayette
Week 3: Bye Week
Week 4: Buffalo
Week 5: @ Bowling Green
Week 6: @ Ohio
Week 7: Northern Illinois
Week 8: Miami (OH)
Week 9: Bye Week
Week 10: @ Kent State
Week 11: @ Georgia Southern
Week 12: @ Eastern Michigan
Week 13: Central Michigan
Week 14: @ Toledo
Old 11-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #3
Rookie

UCF holds off Akron with walk-off touchdown

[Orlando, FL] - On a rainy day in Orlando when it seemed like Akron would win its first game since 2018, it took just 46 seconds to keep the losing streak going.
The UCF Golden Knights defeated the Akron Zips Saturday 38-35, in a thriller and near upset.
With 46 seconds left in the game, Arkon CB Jordyn Riley, who lined up at QB, RB and WR for the Zips during the game, kept an option read and took it five yards for a touchdown, putting Akron up 35-31. Unfortunately for Zips fans, the team left too much time on the clock for a potent UCF offense.
As time expired, UCF QB Dillon Gabriel hit WR Jaylon Robinson on a 22-yard TD strike.
"It definitely hurts to see it end that way," Akron Coach Tom Arth said after the game. "It's pretty rare to see a walk-off winner in college football these days."
Arth said he's proud of the way the team responded throughout the game.
"I am proud of this team. I know they're in the locker room, feeling like we let that one get away from us, but we're going to continue to get better and you can write this in your paper ... we are going to win some football games this season," he said.
New Offensive Coordinator Gregory James was pleased with the offense, which outgained UCF with 472 yards, to the Knights' 437.
"We have some things we need to improve on, but for the first game in a new system? I think the guys played their butts off," he said.
The game got off to a bad start for Akron, as RS-SR QB Kato Nelson threw a pick-six with 4:06 to go in the first. The Zips answered with a one-yard TD run from TE/FB Brycen Yarmo early in the second quarter. This started a back-and-forth scoring affair throughout the rest of the game that felt like the team who had the ball last would likely get the victory.
At half time, UCF held a 17-14 lead.
Nelson ran in a 6-yard QB keeper for a TD to open the scoring in the second half. Nelson also punched in a 4-yard TD run in the fourth quarter. Although the senior QB had a good day, his fumble on a drive late in the fourth quarter and his two interceptions in the game kept UCF in it.
"I know he wants those throws back," James said. "On the fumble in the fourth, he's just fighting for extra yards and got popped pretty good. We will get back to the drawing board. I think Kato had a good day, we just need to take care of the ball."
Do-everything-defensive back Riley might be a player that defenses start to gameplan for moving forward. The CB recorded his first carry and his first offensive touchdown. Riley finished as the Zips' leading rusher, taking 11 carries for 115 yards and a score.
James' offense flashed major potential for an Akron team that has struggled to score over the past few years.
Nelson finished 15-for-30 through the air with 246 yards. He added a touchdown and two interceptions. On the ground, Nelson had 68 yards on 11 runs, including two touchdowns and a fumble.
Zips RB Cole Gest had just 42 yards on 10 carries, as the UCF defensive front-seven appeared to dominate the offensive line of Akron.
Through the air, TE Maverick Wolfley led the way with 6 catches for 87 yards, including a touchdown. WR Michael Mathison recorded 5 grabs for 78 yards, and Nate Stewart added 2 receptions for 57 yards.

Team Offensive Stats
QB Kato Nelson: 15-30, 246 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
Nelson: 11 runs for 115 yards, 1 TD

RB Cole Gest: 10 runs for 42 yards
DB Jordyn Riley: 11 runs for 115 yards, 1 TD

TE Maverick Wolfley: 6 catches for 87 yards, 1 TD
WR Michael Mathison: 5 catches for 78 yards
WR Nate Stewart: 2 catches for 57 yards
Old 11-10-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
Rookie

Week 2-4 update
Week 2: Louisiana-Lafayette 56, Akron 17

QB Kato Nelson: 14-33, 241 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT
Nelson: 7 carries for 18 yards

RB Cole Gest: 7 carries for 35 yards

WR Nate Stewart: 6 catches for 88 yards, TD
TE Maverick Wolfley: 3 catches for 90 yards, TD

Week 3: Bye Week

Week 4: Buffalo 27, Akron 20
QB Kato Nelson: 12-29, 192 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
Nelson:13 runs for 31 yards

HB Cole Gest: 9 carries for 41 yards

WR Nate Stewart: 6 catches for 135 yards, TD
TE Maverick Wolfley: 2 catches for 18 yards

NEXT UP: Playing the game against Bowling Green.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #5
Rookie

Bowling Green uses safety, long TD drive in 4th quarter for comeback win

[Bowling Green, OH] - A late safety and a long touchdown drive were enough to help Bowling Green cement a come-from-behind 36-35 victory against in-conference foe Akron Saturday.
With 2:26 remaining in the game, CB Jordyn Riley, who was in the game in the Wildcat formation, was tackled for a safety. Offensive Coordinator Gregory James took the blame for the poor play call.
"We can't be running any sort of play-action or read option inside our own 5," he said, dismayed after another difficult loss. "Jordyn was so good for us all game, we went to him thinking he could make a play to ice it. I take complete accountability for this one."
Riley finished with 73 yards on 7 runs. He also caught two passes for 30 yards.
Zips fans thought Riley may have put the team up for good on the previous offensive series, with an impressive 20-yard TD scamper, making the game 35-28. But, a safety, and then a 2:02 touchdown drive by BG put the Falcons up for good.
The Zips threatened late, but time expired after a completed hail mary saw the Zips receiver go out of bounds at the 11-yard-line.
Akron had a successful offensive day once again, outgaining BG with 456 yards, to BG's 393. The problem for Akron was its turnovers.
Akron QB Kato Nelson went his fourth consecutive game with a turnover, tossing two interceptions.
Nelson finished 13-for-22 with 223 yards, adding 3 TDs and 2 INTs.
After the game Zips' Head Coach Tom Arth didn't commit to continuing to start Nelson.
"We will have another week of practice, and the quarterback who gives us the best chance to win will be in there," he said.
Could there be a QB controversy in Akron?
"We just need to take better care of the ball and find a way to win," Arth said. "I'm disappointed in our playcalling on that last drive, and if things don't get better we may have to make some changes."
With the loss, Akron falls to 0-4 on the season.

Team Stats:
QB Kato Nelson: 13-22, 223 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT
Nelson: 9 carries for 69 yards

CB Jordyn Riley: 7 carries for 73 yards, 1 TD
RB Cole Gest: 6 carries for 35 yards, 1 TD

Riley: 2 catches for 30 yards
Nate Stewart: 3 catches for 121 yards, 2 TD
George Qualls Jr.: 4 catches for 53 yards, TD

Last edited by gijimbo12; 11-11-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2020, 01:06 AM   #6
Rookie

Quarterback change sparks Akron's first win of 2020!

Akron defeats Ohio University 36-26, for its first win in 2020.
In less than a minute just before the first half ended, Akron QB Kato Nelson managed to throw two more interceptions.
Timely turnovers have been the biggest issue during the Zips' four-game losing streak to start the 2020 campaign, and many of them were at the fault of fifth-year senior Kato Nelson.
Nelson had a horrible first half, even as the coaching staff tried to focus on a run-heavy approach against Ohio University. He was just 3-for-7 for 55 yards, including two bad interceptions.
Akron Head Coach Tom Arth had seen enough, hinting even after last week's game that it might be time to hand the keys to the offense to another QB. Through fives games, Nelson is tied in the nation with the most interceptions (11) and has just 7 TDs.
Nelson won the camp battle against two others, but it was redshirt freshman Zach Gibson, of Duluth, Georgia, who came out as the starter in the second half, as the Zips trailed the Bobcats 19-14.
Gibson doesn't have the athleticism that Nelson does, but he looked smooth as a passer Saturday afternoon, finishing 12-for-14 with 181 yards and 2 TDs. The most important stat? No interceptions or fumbles for the freshman.
Gibson led the offense down the field for three, second-half TD drives, including a sweet bullet pass on a slant route to George Qualls Jr. for an 8-yard touchdown at the end of the third.
After the game, OC Gregory James told the media that he was impressed with Gibson.
"Zach was phenomenal, he looked really comfortable in the pocket," he said. "He even picked up a couple of key first downs with his legs. The kid has won at every level, including the Georgia High School football championship. I think he's going to take this job and run with it."
Arth said Gibson would continue to start, as the MAC schedule gets tougher. How did it feel to finally get a win this season?
"We aren't celebrating anything, we still think we can become bowl eligible," he said.
With Gibson on the field, the offense tended to be a little more pro-style, but do-everything DB Jordyn Riley was still a big factor, playing some snaps and WR and some as a Wildcat QB. Another key to the victory was the hard running of RB Cole Gest, who went over the 100-yard mark for the first time this year (118) yards. Akron is now undefeated when a running back goes over 100 yards.

Team stats
QB Zach Gibson: 12-14, 181 yards, 2 TDs

RB Cole Gest: 18 runs for 118 yards, 1 TD
CB Jordyn Riley: 9 runs for 75 yards, 1 TD

WR Michael Mathison: 3 catches for 61 yards, 1 TD
WR Nate Stewart: 3 catches for 60 yards
WR George Qualls Jr.: 3 catches for 50 yards, 1 TD
WR Julian Hicks: 3 catches for 33 yards

Last edited by gijimbo12; 11-11-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
Rookie

Is the tide turning for Akron? Zips win second in a row, rip NIU 49-14

Zach Gibson wins first game as starting QB, helps Akron blowout Northern Illinois. Akron moves to 2-4 overall, with big efforts coming from Gibson and WR Michael Mathison.

Team stats
QB Zach Gibson: 18-27, 276 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT & 4 runs for 44 yards

RB Cole Gest:14 runs for 74 yards, 1 TD
CB Jordyn Riley: 12 runs for 83 yards
RB Jeremiah Knight 3 runs for 37 yards, 2 TD

WR Michael Mathison: 6 catches for 109 yards, 3 TD
TE Mav Wolfley: 4 catches for 64 yards

Halfway point update
Team Rankings
Passing Offense: 14th, 248.8 yards per game
Rushing Offense: 29th, 180 yards per game
Total Offense: 15th, 428.8 yards per game
Scoring Offense: T-15, 35 points per game

MAC Standings
1. Buffalo 4-2, (3-0)
2. Miami (OH) 2-3, (2-0)
3. Kent State 5-2, (3-1)
4. Toledo 4-3, (3-1)
5. Bowling Green 4-1, (2-1)
6. Akron 2-4, (2-2)
7. Ohio 3-3, (2-2)
8. Ball State 4-3, (2-2)
9. W. Michigan 2-4, (1-3)
10. E. Michigan 1-4, (0-2)
11. N. Illinois 1-5, (0-3)
12. C. Michigan 0-6, (0-3)
Old 11-11-2020, 02:05 AM   #8
Rookie

Calling it a night for now, should be back on to run some more games tomorrow!

Let me know if there's anything y'all would like to see done differently.

I think I might have a sneaky good recruiting class on the way, so hopefully we can get this Akron program turned around.

Also, something I think I'm going to do for year two. I'd like people from the forum to give me 5-10 players that I will create as recruits in the game.

If you're interested in doing this, reply to this thread with the following information:

First name:
Last name:
Position:
Number:
Hometown:

Then just give me a brief description of what your player's playstyle is. I'll use a random number generator to give you an overall within a reasonable range for a recruit.

Once your player is recruited, I'll give some updates. Maybe I'll even be able to recruit one of these guys!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »