Home

The Gridiron Crusader | Fight For Glory

This is a discussion on The Gridiron Crusader | Fight For Glory within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2022, 07:05 AM   #17
MVP

infamyice's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Gridiron Crusader | Fight For Glory

Old 02-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #18
MVP

infamyice's Arena

FIRST DAYS

With Amari getting his foot inside the league in the closing of the seventh round, Amari made his adjustments after landing in Detroit, home of the Motor City, also home to one of the worst teams in the NFL. The Detroit Lions have been under the .500 mark since 1930. Times when they had a decent season, they failed to build on it. Knowing all of this, this was the drama Amari was getting into and having to deal with for the time being. But perhaps he could do what Matt Stafford couldn't, who knows...

"Alright Amari, today is the day. It's only training camp, but it's a first big step to Canton, Ohio. Deep breaths... Deep breaths..."
Amari takes on last look in the mirror before heading out the bathroom. For any rookie, some nerves are to be rattled, but Amari's nerves were climbing up the wall. Everything he dreamed for came to reality and today was his first day on the job. And as they say, first impressions are important.

"Hey, you ready Pop?"

"Yeah, are you ready though? Your big day on the job."

"I'm as ready as I can be. We'll see how it really goes when we get to practice."

"I can tell you're nervous already."

"It's that evident?"

"Yeah, just calm your mind. It's training. Nothing bad can go wrong here. All you doing is bettering yourself and getting ready for gameday."

"Yeah, I keep telling my-self that Pop. Still, I'm a little excited. New city, new environment, everything is on another level now. This is the pro league. Speaking of which, are you sure you're okay leaving everything behind in New York?"

"Yeah, I'm not too worried about all that stuff there. Right now, it's your time, and I'm just here to support you and make sure your transition in life is as smooth as it can be while you focus on football. Anything I can do in the shadows that'll help you, I'm all over it."

"Nah Pop, I can never have you in my shadow. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you and Mom. Who knows, I could've been some kid left in a dumpster to rotten or whatever."

"I'm glad life didn't have to resort to that for you. The universe would've missed out on the next great NFL league-to-be."

"Okay, okay, enough of the smooching, haha. Let's ride Pop."

The two made their way out into the world and made their way to the Lions' training camp at Allen Park. Enjoying some casual banter and music, Amari gets a text from Kasey.

Kasey: What's up man? How's it going? Ready for today?

Amari: Everything is going, actually on my way to camp right now.

Kasey: Good, good, I called ahead to make sure everything was in order, they're expecting you to be there sharp and ready.

Amari: Copy, good looking out. Did you give them my requested number?

Kasey: Yep. It was available, it's all yours now.

Amari: Thanks man.

Kasey: NP. So listen up, Tom Brady, Bo Jackson, Shannon Sharpe, Bart Starr, Donald Driver,and Terrell Davis, what do they all have in common?

Amari: They're all goats in their own rights, outside of Tom Brady, he's goat of goats.

Kasey: And what else?

Amari: Hall of famers, game changers, influence..

Kasey: All that too, but that's not the point. Point is, these guys were drafted late and made pick who passed them up pay for it. Nobody believed in them, same as you. Now it's your turn to prove them wrong and that you belong.

Amari sat thinking about what Kasey just said before responding. He was right, and being right verified even more that his back was against the wall and had nothing to lose.

Amari: You right about that. I didn't take that into account as I am now, and I dig what you're saying bro. I appreciate this. When I eat, you eat bro, nobody goes hungry.

Kasey: I'm fat enough already, go get yours my brother.

"Alright, here we are. Phone off and zero in, son."

"Here already? Alright... This is it." Amari took a deep sigh, mentally psyching him-self up inside.

"You got this son. Give 'em something to pay attention to."

"Will do. What you about to do?"

"I'ma find me a good seat, watch you guys do your thing. I wouldn't miss this for nothing, to get the inside scoop on what's to come... You're going to do great, kid. I know it, you just got to realize it."

Amari nod his head before giving his father a fist bump and headed off into the main building to meet his OC.

================================================== =========

"Hey rook, you're here early, that's good to see."

"My dad always told me, "if you're on-time, you're late". I make it my business to be here ready to put in work everyday. You're Bill Duncan, right?"

Duncan and Garnett shook hands and exchanged formalities. Bill Duncan was the new offensive coordinator for the Lions after Anthony Lynn cut ties. After getting a tour of the facility, it was time to hit the field as the day wasn't getting any younger...

"Alright Garnett, here's what we're doing. We don't know all too much about your game, for the lack of snaps in college, so this is your first impression here. We're going to run some reps. Show us your soft touches, give us level two and three entry passes. Read the defense and call the right numbers. If you see nothing, show us what you got, improvise."

"Okay, sounds easy enough."

Just as Amari got his helmet on and about to take off, Coach Duncan stops grabs his attention with importance.

"Hey, listen, this may be training camp and pre-season, but don't take this lightly. Every year there's always someone looking for a spot on the roster. You've barely made it in the door. Don't pressure your-self, but make an impression. I really hate to see young guys sit 2nd and 3rd string for the rest of their careers."

Those words stuck to Amari. It was all or nothing, each and every snap, every day. "You got it coach. Watch me do my thang."

"Alright kid, show me what you got..."

Training day progressed as usual. Some light snaps, inside, outside, Amari had found his flow before long. Before he knew, the day was over. With 25 reps in, Amari completed 16 passes, three of them ran to the house along with one rushing touchdown.

"Good practice guys! Good hustle! I want to see you guys here tomorrow morning, bright and early." Shouted the head coach amongst the squads before letting out practice.

Garnett finally took off his helmet, getting a breather with some Gatorade at the bench, not before long the coach came over to speak with him.

"Garnett, was it? You looked good out there. Coach Campbell, good to finally meet you."

"Oh, how's it going Coach? Amari Garnett, and thank you. Felt good to get a sense of the team."

"Sense of the team. Tell me, what you gather from out there, running with the boys?"

"Doesn't matter what I think, but if I had to take a stab at it. Guys are good. They work hard, you can see that clearly. Still, with what the team's reputation has been over the years and statistically proven, there's always room to grow, for all of us. As a quarterback, I'm always asking how good do I have to be so my guys can be better?"

"Smart, thoughtful. You definitely got something between those ears than just how fast you can run, I like that."

"Thank you Coach, means a lot."

"Alright. We'll do this again tomorrow. Be here early, we'll run through some formats with Goff and run some sets."

"Sure thing coach, see you tomorrow."

Amari made his way off the grid and into the building to change out. Few of the staffs were quite impressed with his showing, even if it's just one day.

"So, what do you take from what we saw today?" Coach Duncan asked.

"Kid's bright. Well put together, he's quick. Smart on his feet though he lacks a true arm. Somehow he makes it work", Coach Campbell replied as he run off his thoughts.

"I like his short range game, he looks good under pressure, for now. It's really hard to tell about that part", said Duncan. "We're not in the best spot defensively, so it's hard to make heads or tails of how good he is or just how bad our defense is going to be this season."

"Tell me about it, that what scares me the most. But, if he proves to be consistent where he put his passes, he might be something we can work with and build around."

"What about Goff?"

Coach Campbell pondered for a minute before answering, "To be honest, that's another story for another day...

[Back over in the parking lot]

"There he go, the future face of the franchise!" Ahmad shouted towards Amari.

"Yikes! Chill old man. Don't say that too loud, media might hear you", Amari joked.

"Looking good out there. Saw you talking to the head coach, anything good?"

"Nothing much, just salutations. He did ask me something I was kinda hesitant to answer."

"Uh oh. Here we go. Spill it on me kid."

"Nah, nothing extreme. After I got a feel for the team, he asked how we stand."

"And?" Ahmad patiently waiting on his response.

"Told him there was room to grow for all of us..." Amari shrugged, couldn't find the words to spruce up the details. "I mean, what you saw, is what you saw."

"Yeah, cause you was out there cooking. Definitely got to hit the gym though. Need to get some power in that arm. You see that kid out in Kansas, Patrick Mahomes? That's a cannon. You need one of those."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Known this since Cincinnati. You know me, always trying to be the jack of all trades-"

"And a master of none", Ahmad interjected. "Always told you, find something you're good at a master it. Can't be out here doing everything."

"Yeah, I seen that today."

"But, you've always been on the go. Your biggest advantage has always been your feet. Your mom always asked you if you were certain you didn't want to be a running back. And you say, "no mom, I want to be the star of the show."

Amari let out a little smile, thinking back to the conversation his father brought up. "Yeah, I guess the rumor is true, a mother knows best."

"There it is. Took you long enough. God rest her soul, she didn't know what to do with me. I was such a handful running around in the streets. She really sat me down and gave me the big chop ultimatum. She told me, "it was either me or the world. Can't have both, but you can build one with the other."

"Dang, mom was cut throat like that?"

"Yeah. And she knew she was my world... Unfortunately, we couldn't have kids. Then you came along. You lit up her world, the world we built. You were her light in the dark."

"... I miss her..."

"Yeah, me too... But now, she lives on through you. You know she was a big football head. Always at your AAU and HS games. Helping you with your playbook."

"Aye, don't cut yourself out the picture, you was there too."

"I know, I know, but your mom, she was delightful to see getting you into football... Now look at you... She's proud of you, kid."

"Yeah, I know Dad... I know... No sleep til' Canton, Ohio. I won't stop until the name she gave me echo those halls."

Amhad takes a look over to his son, cracking a smile before pivoting his eyes back on the road, "that's my boy. Make us proud son..."
Old 02-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #19
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Old 02-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #20
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Old 02-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #21
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #22
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Old 02-11-2022, 08:26 PM   #23
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Old 02-11-2022, 11:15 PM   #24
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Last edited by infamyice; 02-12-2022 at 02:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »