Home

***The Official Football Manager Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official Football Manager Thread*** within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #8513
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: ***The Official Football Manager Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
How do I set tactics which allows the team to play a high press style? I want a tactic similar to Klopp's rock and roll.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
You'll want to play with a high defensive line and set closing down to more or the next step up (not quite sure what's it's called because my tactical setup right now won't let me pick it. Then you can go into opposition instructions, and set every position to closing down always.

That'll really ramp up the pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
So I found where the youth intakes for all teams are posted.

Question is, if I've already got a scout in their respective country, I assume these kids will be added to the report? Or is there something else I should do.

I did some digging on this, and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

TIA, as always.
To the best of my knowledge, that assumption is correct.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #8514
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
You'll want to play with a high defensive line and set closing down to more or the next step up (not quite sure what's it's called because my tactical setup right now won't let me pick it. Then you can go into opposition instructions, and set every position to closing down always.

That'll really ramp up the pressure.
Yeah I found the settings. I haven't played in a while, yet I opened the save today and found myself top of the table with the Arsenal.

I might try a high line but not too crazy. The same goes with the pressing; press, but not too much.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #8515
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Second season with Worcester and something strange and magical happened. Season started off about what I expected. We won some, we mostly lost, and we were down towards the bottom of the table. But we started winning some more matches and we found ourselves safely in the mid-table.

Then it happened.

We started winning.....and winning....and winning some more. In January we lost back-to-back matches to Darlington and Altrincham by a combined score of 2-7. Despite that, we maintained position in 10th. We won our final 14 matches and shot our way up into the promotion playoffs.

How did we manage this?

Mostly, I think it boils down to an improved attack. Last season, our defense ranked 10th in the league, but we finished next to last in goals scored. This year, our defense improved slightly, ranking 8th. Offensively though, we ranked 9th. (67 goals compared to 41 goals last season).

Did I change strikers? Well, I tried. Jordan Murphy was my starter last season and he only scored 11 goals across all competitions. Despite increased competition, he held on to his job and awarded my faith in him by netting 29 times across competitions.

It can probably be attributed to getting better service from the wings. Ayomide Jibodu was brought in on a free from Derby, and the 17-year-old netted 11 goals and 18 assists.

As for the promotion playoffs, I squared off against Altrincham, a team that beat us both times this year and have only managed one draw in four meetings. We won the first leg 1-0 on the road thanks to a goal by midfielder David Carson. In the second leg, we struck first thanks to another goal from our midfield, this time by Charlie Owens (it's only fitting, Carson and Owens date to season one). Though Altrincham got one back, we hung on to move on to the promotion finals against Salford, a game we got to host thanks to finishing higher in the standings.

The match was a nervy affair, with both squads beating the hell out of each other (37 fouls, 8 yellow cards). The first goal came in the 78th minute when my keeper Taylor Sutton inexplicably stole the ball from my defender Wes Harding, and the ball rolled to a Salford player who could've walked the ball into an empty net.

Time was running and the crowd was beginning to wonder if their boys would be able to mount a comeback. Enter midfielder David Carson, who thundered a shot off the upright from 18 yards out to tie the match at one.

It looked like the match was heading for penalties, but in the 109th minute, this magical run had it's last moment. Striker Japahet Mata sent the ball out wide to Scott McArdle, then proceeded to make a mad dash to the net. McArdle launched a beautfiul cross into the box, trying to get it to Mata. The Salford keeper rushed out, but Mata beat him to the ball and headed it in!!!!! 2-1 Worcester and we hung on for PROMOTION!!!!!!

I'm so screwed next season.
Attached Images
File Type: png Worcester table 2017-18.png (359.5 KB, 114 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #8516
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Got bored with my current save so decided to do a Chelsea only run. Goal is to play this save until the new game comes out or until I get sacked. lol

In year 2 I had the best end to a campaign I have had in a while. 2 games left, both against Manchester United. One to win the PL title and the other for the CL title. In the PL, tied on points with me having the tie breaker on GD. Here are the results:

This however, was pretty annoying... damn you Messi.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #8517
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Take that Messi!

Old 06-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #8518
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41

Top 100!

I've been beating teams like Kazakhstan, Estonia, Luxembourg and also beat Finland in WC qualifiers so I thought I had a chance to get promoted in UEFA Nations League but then FM put me in a group with Ukraine.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #8519
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

I asked my DoF (Wenger) to handle the contracts that are expiring (mostly youth).

Should I receive something in the feed if he's resigned them? I'm fine if most of them leave to be honest, but either way--I'd obviously like to keep track of it.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #8520
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Things looking good as of April 1, Season 1...

My next 5 fixtures though...

Champions League QF Draw:

FA Cup Semi-Final Draw:

Oh, and last but CERTAINLY not least (lol)...EFL Cup Winners. My FIRST Silverware!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »