Home

The "I need a challenge" thread

This is a discussion on The "I need a challenge" thread within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #65
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: The "I need a challenge" thread

Update - I actually played these matches the other night, but didn't feel like typing it up.

Copa America 2011

The first match against Paraguay, we came out in a counter-attacking style and players were told to stay in their positions. We were really looking for a scoreless draw. We actually had the better chances in the first half, and limited Paraguay's quality looks at goal. 0-0 half, and all was going to plan. In the 47th minute we committed a silly foul just outside the penalty area, front and center. Paraguay made us pay on the free kick and it was 0-1. We didn't hit the panic button just yet and held them. In the 70th minute, I decided it was time to push. While I was shouting instructions from the sidelines, before the tactics even had a chance to change, Paraguay made it 0-2 and that was it. Final 0-2. Big hole dug, but with two of the three 3rd places moving through, not dead by any means.

Second match against heavily favored Argentina. We put on the helmets and readied for a relentless Argentina attack out of the gates. They didn't disappoint. A Tevez rocket in the 5th minute made it 0-1. To make matters worse, a goalkeeping blunder allowed Maxi Rodriguez to poke home an easy goal in the 15th, 0-2. We actually showed some composure to not let things get out of hand at that point A decent rest of the half, along with Argentina taking the foot off the gas, allowed us to still be in the match at the half. At this point we needed a result. We came out playing a wide, flowing attack. And it worked for a while. A nice goal in the 53rd made it 1-2. The team was confident and playing out of their minds. Three or four chances went just wide, and Argentina caught us on the counter in the 87th. 1-3 final.

We dominated the Bolivia match, but only won 1-0. They had a few close calls to tie it at the end.

Finished the group in 3rd on 3 points, and the other group's results did not fall our way. We needed Panama to beat Ecuador or Uruguay to beat Chile by 2 or more. Ecuador 2 - Panama 1, and Chile 1 - Uruguay 1.

Uruguay defeated Colombia 1-0 in the final. Agentina beat Brazil (whose coach was fired after the semifinal loss) in penalties for 3rd.

What I learned about the team:

Our central defenders are decent, but not great. They're going to give up some goals. If we pick up a key injury there, we're in trouble. Full backs are slow and can't cross the ball. They are above average defenders, though.

Central mids are solid, but not spectacular. They don't make many mistakes and can make good passes. Ciurlizza, at 32, is a rock as a holding midfielder, but his age will catch up with him soon. It will be tough to replace him. I am considering giving him the captaincy for the qualifying run.

The wingers are above average. Left mid Juan Manual Vargas is easily the best player on the team. The right tends to be a revolving door as there are 2-3 slightly above average players fighting it out for the starting position.

Claudio Pizzaro cannot play 90 minutes any more, so he will become a super-sub. I'm not sure who will be replacing him. Guerrero is my top striker. He has a ton of techincal ability, but his finishing could be better and he's on the slow side.

It will be tough to make the World Cup with this team against the talent we're up against. And yet the FA expects that I "qualify easily" for the World Cup. This might not last long.

Rest of 2011:

August 8 Anguilla - Peru (Friendly)
Sepember 3 Peru - Honduras (Friendly)
September 7 Ukraine - Peru (Friendly)
October 8 Peru - Belize (Friendly)
October 12 Ecuador - Peru (Qualifier)
November 12 Peru - Venezuela (Qualifier)
November 16 Paraguay - Peru (Qualifier)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #66
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Update - I actually played these matches the other night, but didn't feel like typing it up.

Copa America 2011

The first match against Paraguay, we came out in a counter-attacking style and players were told to stay in their positions. We were really looking for a scoreless draw. We actually had the better chances in the first half, and limited Paraguay's quality looks at goal. 0-0 half, and all was going to plan. In the 47th minute we committed a silly foul just outside the penalty area, front and center. Paraguay made us pay on the free kick and it was 0-1. We didn't hit the panic button just yet and held them. In the 70th minute, I decided it was time to push. While I was shouting instructions from the sidelines, before the tactics even had a chance to change, Paraguay made it 0-2 and that was it. Final 0-2. Big hole dug, but with two of the three 3rd places moving through, not dead by any means.

Second match against heavily favored Argentina. We put on the helmets and readied for a relentless Argentina attack out of the gates. They didn't disappoint. A Tevez rocket in the 5th minute made it 0-1. To make matters worse, a goalkeeping blunder allowed Maxi Rodriguez to poke home an easy goal in the 15th, 0-2. We actually showed some composure to not let things get out of hand at that point A decent rest of the half, along with Argentina taking the foot off the gas, allowed us to still be in the match at the half. At this point we needed a result. We came out playing a wide, flowing attack. And it worked for a while. A nice goal in the 53rd made it 1-2. The team was confident and playing out of their minds. Three or four chances went just wide, and Argentina caught us on the counter in the 87th. 1-3 final.

We dominated the Bolivia match, but only won 1-0. They had a few close calls to tie it at the end.

Finished the group in 3rd on 3 points, and the other group's results did not fall our way. We needed Panama to beat Ecuador or Uruguay to beat Chile by 2 or more. Ecuador 2 - Panama 1, and Chile 1 - Uruguay 1.

Uruguay defeated Colombia 1-0 in the final. Agentina beat Brazil (whose coach was fired after the semifinal loss) in penalties for 3rd.

What I learned about the team:

Our central defenders are decent, but not great. They're going to give up some goals. If we pick up a key injury there, we're in trouble. Full backs are slow and can't cross the ball. They are above average defenders, though.

Central mids are solid, but not spectacular. They don't make many mistakes and can make good passes. Ciurlizza, at 32, is a rock as a holding midfielder, but his age will catch up with him soon. It will be tough to replace him. I am considering giving him the captaincy for the qualifying run.

The wingers are above average. Left mid Juan Manual Vargas is easily the best player on the team. The right tends to be a revolving door as there are 2-3 slightly above average players fighting it out for the starting position.

Claudio Pizzaro cannot play 90 minutes any more, so he will become a super-sub. I'm not sure who will be replacing him. Guerrero is my top striker. He has a ton of techincal ability, but his finishing could be better and he's on the slow side.

It will be tough to make the World Cup with this team against the talent we're up against. And yet the FA expects that I "qualify easily" for the World Cup. This might not last long.

Rest of 2011:

August 8 Anguilla - Peru (Friendly)
Sepember 3 Peru - Honduras (Friendly)
September 7 Ukraine - Peru (Friendly)
October 8 Peru - Belize (Friendly)
October 12 Ecuador - Peru (Qualifier)
November 12 Peru - Venezuela (Qualifier)
November 16 Paraguay - Peru (Qualifier)
Think FA is saying this to all of us, because no brazil in qualifying, so another spot opened up to qualify. So we all have a good chance to make it.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #67

jvalverde88's Arena

OVR: 28

I picked Canada They are currently 70th. Here the drawing for the 2011 Gold Cup.

Quote:
Never let fear determine who you are. Never let where you came from determine where you are going.

Last edited by jvalverde88; 07-02-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 5

I decided to start with the 59th ranked Venezuela.

Here is my Copa draw

Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #69
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
I picked Canada They are currently 70th. Here the drawing for the 2011 Gold Cup
I was thinking about picking Canada, but I figured it was gonna be pretty rough without Rob Friend, who appeared to have retired from international play.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #70
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofm1508
I decided to start with the 59th ranked Venezuela.

Here is my Copa draw

Another joins the mix in south america, cool, wish we all had time to do online, I hope they look in making it more user friendly in future additions. I will be making a Colombia national team update later tonight, I am in late 2012 already.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 5

Update from my Venezuela Squad.

Started out playing a 4-4-2. Had two friendlies vs. The British Virgin Islands and St. Martin. Dominated both games in possession and shots but tied both 1-1, much to the disappointment of my fans and FA.

Realizing we needed to try something new to score, we switched to a 4-2-3-1 for our friendly vs. Antigua. The new tactic proved to be succesful as we scored in the 3rd minute and went on to win 4-1.

Our next friendly will be a stronger test vs. Japan before heading into group play of the Copa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #72
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Colombia road to the World Cup 2014:

2011 qualifying results:
1-0 win over Argentina
0-2 loss to Uruguay
3-1 win over Chile

2012 qualifying results: