Home

What would you do with...

This is a discussion on What would you do with... within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
What would you do with...

Transfer budget of the new year, and yes my owner is a tycoon, is 862M in euro's (so basically 1 billion in U.S.D.). Who would would spend it on, or what types of players. I am currently like 20 years into my save so like Messi and everyone else is gone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What would you do with...

20 years into the future? it will be different on everyone's game because of newgens
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Pro

I know that which is why I was asking what type of players. Would you go for the proven world class or would you go for the up and comers that are under 21 or even just under 19 years old. Stuff like that I know that a player name is not going to be in the same game was just curious of what people would do with that much money. Or would just just not spend any of it?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

World class defense.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

It depends. I don't like to upset the apple cart if I already have my squad established. I like to limit myself to only drastically changing my first team with a MAX of 3 players per year. B team and youth squads are constantly changing. I would have no problem spending $0 of that transfer budget on immediate impact players. I'd be going after all the wonderkids my scouts find though. Especially in South America.

When I go after the big signings with a budget like that these are the things I keep in mind:

- Does the player's personality fit my squad? It doesn't matter how good a player's rating is. If they spend all their matches playing nervously or looking uninterested because they can't play with your players, they are going to end up being more of a headache than they're worth. You can probably find a more compatible player with similar ratings with patience.

- Deal-breaking hints from the scout reports: Injury-prone players, inconsistent performers, selfish player, doesn't relish the big matches, has a hard time settling in a new country. You're in a position to be picky. These types of players can apply elsewhere.

- Age: For mega-signings 25 is my top limit. I want all their prime years to be played in my system while they are fully familiar with it.

Of course there are exceptions, most notably is blocking a title rival from completing their team with a star. Sometimes you just have to Man City their *** and take on an extra player. If you have European matches, you can usually deal with a surplus of stars at one position and still keep everyone happy.

BTW, where are you managing that you have that kind of budget and how did you get there?

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 04-30-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Mo
SSN

Mo's Arena

OVR: 39

I'm assuming you are already established at this club and are winning trophies left and right. If so, I wouldnt buy anyone(for big money that is), just replace the aging superstars with young wonderkids.

Oh also Strikers, you can never have enough players that score goals.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Another thing to keep in mind is the requirement of the CL of 4 players that trained at your club for 3 consecutive years between ages 15 and 21. Loans reset this timer, but you can loan them within the same nation and that will not reset for that requirement (8 needed).

You can never have too many home grown players in your preferred XI. So snap up the 16-17 year olds that look like they're going to be good and wait to loan them out. Remember that Brazilians and Argentinians cannot move on a transfer until their 18th birthday.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
Pro

Currently am San Marino from Italy. I think about 10 or so years into the save the owner sold it to a tycoon. First time that has ever happened in my save.

I am very good at managing money on this save and I was getting bored of always buying top shelf people so basically I just bought free's and used my team from there (thinking this is out I got the tycoon, but have no real data behind it). From there basically the last 5 years have been all San Marino players, and I am dominating the world (only 5 star club in the game). But I have all this money and didn't know if I should buy people or not.

I should think about buying world class defenders since the new year i lost 3 of my starters to either retirement or released cause they were up in age and lost all their stats.

Although in the new year the owner said he is taking about the funds, but still have 862 million in my transfer budget.

EDIT:
World's best coach.
Won C2/A and C2 Super Cup
C1/A and C1 Super Cup
Serie B
Italian Cup seven times ('16, '18, '19, '20, '25, '26, '27)
Super Cup thirteen times ('17, '20, '21, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28, '29, '31, '32, '33)
Euro Cup twice ('17, '19)
Euro Super Cup eight times ('19, '20, '22, '24, '26, '27, '28, '30)
Serie A thirteen times ('20, '21, '22, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28, '30, '31, '32, '33)
Champs League ten times ('20, '22, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28, '30, '33)
Club World Championship eight times

Last edited by cincy14fan; 05-01-2012 at 05:27 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »