Home

Best way to learn how to play?

This is a discussion on Best way to learn how to play? within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Best way to learn how to play?

I just got FM2014 and I was wondering what was the best way to learn how to play this damn game?? There is just so much in this game that I don't even know where to begin!! Can anyone help me out?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Best way to learn how to play?

Others may have better tips, but here's what I did.
1) Play the demo in a league that you want to manage in. Don't be afraid to screw stuff up
2) Watch all the tutorials

I didn't have this luxury, but if you have someone you know/trust who plays, see if you can watch them play or pick their brain. This forum works well for that too.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

The best way to learn is to fail over and over again until you figure it all out. I remember scrapping countless saves because I didn't understand all of the transfer and contract workings.

When I first started playing, I remember buying Rossi for a huge fee but only signing him to a 1-year contract. I then lost him on a free the next year because I didn't know he could talk to other teams while still on a contract with me.

Play with rich teams at first so you have money to play around with.

Any questions you have, just ask. Don't feel like your question is too basic or "stupid". Someone here will help.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
The best way to learn is to fail over and over again until you figure it all out. I remember scrapping countless saves because I didn't understand all of the transfer and contract workings.

When I first started playing, I remember buying Rossi for a huge fee but only signing him to a 1-year contract. I then lost him on a free the next year because I didn't know he could talk to other teams while still on a contract with me.

Play with rich teams at first so you have money to play around with.

Any questions you have, just ask. Don't feel like your question is too basic or "stupid". Someone here will help.
That's reminded me of the first time I've played a soccer sim game. It was Championship Manager 2001/2002 and Leeds had probably the best young squad on the game and a bunch of money. I was probably around 11 or 12 when I played this. The result? I finished 17th, winning on the last day to stay up. I was so proud.

Teams like Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid are probably your good starting points. Good players and enough money to test the transfer market.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

One thing that I find gratifying and frustrating at the same time. I'm still learning in my Sounders/USMNT save and I'm 13 years in. I often make mistakes I'll realize at the time or a few months later and I have to live with those, just like in real life.

For instance, the 6 months prior to contract end = free transfer...well, that's how I lost Ozzie Alonso to France

Or the time one of my Sounders academy players was a dual national (US & Mexico) and Club America signed him when he was 16. Never expected that. (Lucky for me, game crashed and I was able to rectify that). Now I check the Nationality of every academy player. If he's dual national and halfway decent, I sign him to senior team, then loan back down.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

I would definitely recommend following others' advice in playing with better teams. They'll be easier to work with, from a tactical and development standpoint, as well as the obvious "they won't completely frustrate the hell outta you" standpoint. Although things don't always work out how you expect with good teams, it's also much, much more difficult with inferior teams.

The way I learned was, and nobody will likely agree with me on doing this, but in FM12 I managed nobody but Brazil. Training, contracts and multiple reserve teams was way too complicated for me when first picking up the game; this way, I was able to focus on learning about tactics and applying them in matches, playing full matches at regular speed and not being able to just compile game upon game upon game like you do in a league season. I struggled at first - even Brazil's talent made things difficult - but what really helped me was the Tactics & Training forum over at SI Games: community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/18-Tactics-amp-Training-Discussion

I wouldn't recommend just downloading a tactic and plugging it in - you won't learn about the nuances of the game, and many of them are match engine exploits with the promise of "guaranteed results" but likely might not make sense to you. It's important to understand the critical thinking behind the tactics and how to apply them to your team - pick a favorite formation or style of how you want to play, and take a read. People like Cleon in that forum are extremely helpful.

I played FM12 for 2 years and got FM14 last season, and only then have I advanced to taking the day-to-day reigns at a club (Ajax, my favorite). I also play in real time, which is fun for me and doesn't overwhelm me.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Nice tips. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Rookie

man_u_treble's Arena

OVR: 2

The best way to start is to grab a giant and start playing. Someone like Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid, or Bayern. All have big budgets and great teams already. They can gloss over a lot of mistakes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »