Home

EA Sports PGA Tour Gameplay Trailer, Pure Strike Blog and Details on 20 Available Shot Types

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA Tour Gameplay Trailer, Pure Strike Blog and Details on 20 Available Shot Types within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2023, 12:05 PM   #33
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: EA Sports PGA TOUR Gameplay Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
In that write-up, there is a link to a blog speaking on the 20 shot types in the game.

CLICK HERE
Old 01-19-2023, 12:06 PM   #34
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signia70
Will this be available for PC? Operation Sports article says it will be but I dont see anything on EA Sports website. Just PS5 and XSX. I would be awesome to play this on Steam Deck.
Yes a PC version is coming out.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #35
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

WOW!! Considering the fact that it's a compressed, You Tube video running at 1080p resolution, I'm quite impressed. Even with the occasionally choppy animation, I'm seeing something in the swing animations, the feedback meters and gauges, and the impact and flight, trajectory, bounce, roll of the ball that gives me a lot of hope that this game has addressed so much of what I found missing in RMPGAT.

Even at this res and level of compression, I can tell that the graphics are going to leave anything we've seen, in any golf game to date, in the dust! The level of detail I was seeing on all of these courses is incredible and atmospheric.

Perhaps the most concerning issue to me is the was statement where 'the length of your backswing and the speed of your follow through both factor into the power and accuracy of the shot.' I'm hoping that follow through speed doesn't factor in as heavily into hook/slice as it does in PGA TOUR 2K23, where really, it feels like it's the only factor that determines hook/slice.

The swing path should be the primary factor that determines hook/slice, IMO. There wasn't a lot of swings in this video that showed the swing path straying off the Y axis to the point where you could assess the affect on the shot. There were a couple of shots where the swing path veered to the right of the Y axis and the ball appeared to be pushed to the right. If my eyes weren't deceiving me, this would follow the PGA TOUR 2K23 model, where swing path determines push/pull. I truly hope I'm wrong here because that just seems bass ackwards to me.

The second question that the video didn't answer for me is camera options. I'm and old fogey from the stone age who likes what PGA Tour golf used in the late 90s called the "snap-to-lie" view, where the shot is viewed from the golfer's perspective for about 75% of its flight, and then snaps to a reverse angle view looking back at the ball reaching is destination as it rolls toward the camera. I could tell there were options to hold the golfer perspective view of the shot longer, but I never saw one where they flipped on of those to a downrange reverse angle view. The follow-cam was there as expected as I'm sure that's still the overwhelming favorite. They do it well in the gameplay video, but for some reason, it just doesn't do much for me.

One final note, I was hoping we'd be able to see the other golfers in our group and their caddies in view, when they should be on camera. I did see occasional glimpses of gallery members on adjacent holes, which is nice. They perhaps weren't seen in the numbers they should have been, but some are better than nothing.

I need to end this on a positive note because honestly, I'm really very stoked by what I'm seeing here. I just have a gut feeling that this game might have that intangible "feel" quality that I've found missing over the last 8 years!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm excited for this. Really like how distinctive the courses looked. Like the idea of shot link data. Seems like a lot of good things.

The only initial turnoff to me is the putting. Looks like there is a meter required. Putting without a meter is one thing I think 2K nails as it is about feel (which to me is essence of real putting). I did get a little Rory Mcilroy vibe in how the players were animated and speed in which things moved. Also wish there was a 3 click option in case the swing provided isn't fun (to me 3 click was only way I could play Rory as couldn't stand the green bubble swing).

Overall, can't wait to play it.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #37
Rookie

Interesting interview with the Devs available here - https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/ea-sp...-golf-2034942/

Full PR release from EA here - https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/pre...3/default.aspx

Full list of courses here - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea.../1100-6510683/
Old 01-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #38
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
In that write-up, there is a link to a blog speaking on the 20 shot types in the game.

CLICK HERE
Thanks for emphasizing that. After reading it, I get the sense that there's more to this Pure Strike process than meets the eye. It's probably going to be tough to describe and will require a play or two to understand more about how it works.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #39
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamc
Interesting interview with the Devs available here - https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/ea-sp...-golf-2034942/

Full PR release from EA here - https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/pre...3/default.aspx

Full list of courses here - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea.../1100-6510683/
Can't believe Tara Iti is in there! Very cool!
Old 01-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #40
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFRIG
Do we think shot shaping is a diagonal swing movement with the analog stick?

It was there in Rory so should be yes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »