Home

The OS Golfer's Thread!

This is a discussion on The OS Golfer's Thread! within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #3753
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: The OS Golfer's Thread!

Had a good range session over the weekend, but as Gerg04 notes above, it rarely translates to the course LOL. Anyway, it's always better leaving the range with some optimism vs. those times where you leave shaking your head thinking you're getting further away than ever...

I'm endlessly frustrated that golf instruction can't account for the vast difference in how things "feel" to an individual, and how they look on film. It's no one's fault, it's just a function of the fact that everyone's body is so unique and works in such different ways, so there's no way to account for everyone's individual swing and feel (short of everyone having personal instruction for >6 months, which is not really possible).

If I really wanted to grow the game, though, I think the #1 thing golf could do (if there were money for it) is provide instruction at severely discounted rates or free for a huge population of all ages, because the main thing that keeps people from playing is that until you reach a certain level of proficiency, the game is not fun at all. Hell, it's barely fun even after you reach a decent level of proficiency.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #3754
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Came out of a hiatus 2 weeks ago and I’m hooked again. Attempting to re grip my 3 wood tomorrow so we’ll see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #3755
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

Just took a week long vacation to go back to Wisconsin. Played a few nice clubs while I was there, and put together a nice little stretch of rounds

Last Friday got together with the boys, three of my closest friends back home. Cute little match for some denominations. Fired an 80 on my own ball, enjoyable round at a linksy style track.

Saturday I played a casual round with my dad at one of my old accounts, solid woodsy track. Was more focused on helping him get acclimated to his entire new bag of SIM clubs that I surprised him with. Fired an 82. Focus was elsewhere

Sunday. Oh my. Got 27 holes in at my home course. Hell. Of. A. Day. Spent the entire day at the course. Morning round with two foursomes shot a 37, I was happy with that. Went back out a little after lunch and shot a 34. Was stoked, first round under par in some time. Then went out that evening and fired an incredibly boring bogey free even par 36. Now granted, this was the course I grew up on, and know it like the back of my hand. But I don't think I could ever play 27 holes there and stay under par.

Monday. Got together with some of my old coworkers from TaylorMade for a casual little outing around the Milwaukee area. Shot an 81 this time around. Struggled with green speed out there, since it was wet and slower than any of the other courses I played.

Got back to Michigan tonight. Working the next 6 days, and am apparently playing Oakmont next Wednesday and Thursday, as a result of a sales contest we had at work. I'll take it.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #3756
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKiiing
Got back to Michigan tonight. Working the next 6 days, and am apparently playing Oakmont next Wednesday and Thursday, as a result of a sales contest we had at work. I'll take it.
Nice casual bomb drop there, BDK.... (Yawn) Oh yeah, aren't we playing Oakmont or something next week? (Yawn...) Whatever, let me know when the tee time is.

Hope you hit one so deep in a church pew bunker you have to use a shovel to get your ball back.

Have fun, let us know how it goes!
Old 08-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #3757
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Nice casual bomb drop there, BDK.... (Yawn) Oh yeah, aren't we playing Oakmont or something next week? (Yawn...) Whatever, let me know when the tee time is.

Hope you hit one so deep in a church pew bunker you have to use a shovel to get your ball back.

Have fun, let us know how it goes!

I was trying to be super low key about it. Literally found out about it the day before I came back to Michigan. I knew I'd be going, but it was originally planned for September, but was moved up. I'll take it. Hah.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #3758
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I shot an 89 at a really tough course yesterday, I was pretty happy with myself. I had the most green in regs there than I have had all year, I could not miss with my approach shots. The greens though, fastest I have ever played on. I belong to a private club so I am used to fast greens, but these were unlike anything I have ever played.

I did have my best shot of the year yesterday, I hit my 3W from about 240 yards out to 5 feet from the hole for an eagle opportunity. The grounds crews even stopped what they were doing to watch my putt. I of course missed it but I did get a birdy so its not all bad.

Last edited by Cusefan; 08-11-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #3759
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

My last round I shot a front nine 37.. then proceeded to shoot 47 on back.
Golf is stupid.

I just finished a 9 out if 10 ,12 hr work days.
Supposed to hit a course Sat am weather permitting.
Probably Penn National or Links at Ghettysburg...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 08-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #3760
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

The OS Golfer's Thread!

Well boys, I just got back from the most mentally exhausting two rounds of golf I've ever played. Thanks to an opportunity through work, I spent the last two days at Oakmont Country Club.

First off, not sure if anyone has ever been there before, but the club is literally in the middle of a neighborhood, it's sweet. We stayed in the Gatehouse which is this nice little house that you see as soon as you get on the property. A nice little putting green behind the house where we had an epic match last night after a few too many drinks where we played alt shot from different parts of the property. It got a little out of hand.

Now for the good stuff. What a club. The old school clubhouse and locker room was incredible. We had lunch in the library yesterday, and dinner in one of the big rooms upstairs. Our host spoiled us with some $900 bottles of red wine. I still preferred my Budweiser.

As for the course itself. Holy ****. Immaculate. So firm, so fast, but still receptive. Greens rolled at a 13.5 yesterday, and today even faster, since they had the women's club championship ahead of us. The views were awesome. The caddies were solid. Pace of play was surprisingly really good. 4:15 and 4 hours on the dot. Crazy for a club that had a packed tee sheet.

I went there with two goals. Crack 100 the first round, and break 90 the second round. That's all I asked of myself. Having never played the course before, even with some caddie help, I fired a 92 yesterday. (A coworker in my group shot 68). I grinded it out. Got out of some interesting lies. But overall felt good about it. Now today. I got to the range real early (mainly to sweat the booze out). Spent some time on the practice putting green with my Scotty and my Spider X. Had to see if I needed to make a putter change or not with how lightening fast the greens are. I stayed with Scotty, and thankfully so. A little more acclimated to the course, and especially the greens. Went out and fired an 87 with 27 putts. It felt absolutely incredible. Avoided bunkers a little more. Thankfully was not in the church pews at all. While it's by no means my best round I've ever shot, it's up there as the most stoked I've been about a round of golf. Grinded it out. Left myself in good spots, all things considered. And enjoyed a hell of a round.

Naturally some pictures to follow.

Last edited by BDKiiing; 12-13-2020 at 08:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »