Home

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Preview

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Preview within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan4423
I'm remember being so excited to play this title once the 360/PS3 came out with all the possibilities and advancements the game could have, and it's been nothing but agony year after year.

As much as I love golf, can't see buying this game until major improvements are made.
I think from a gameplay perspective it's hard to argue with most of what is brought to the table in a Tiger game on Wii or PS3. In terms of customizing your experience, it really goes further than any sports game out there. But if you are in agony about some of the surrounding elements of the game, I hear you 100 percent.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Chase, in a nutshell, it's like this.... with horizontal (default) True View/First Person, the club swings from right to left on the screen, with vertical, the club swings from bottom to top of the screen. Vertical makes more sense to me because the ball goes in the same direction in which both my own stance is aligned as well as my on screen golfer's stance.

With horizontal First Person/True View, I feel like I'm hitting the ball at a 90 degree angle from the swingpath of the club.... hope this makes sense?
I think I got it originally, but perhaps I just never really noticed my club going from right to left. I always felt like in first person my follow ended vertically. Although on the green I guess that's more right to left rather than down up?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 33
Presentation is where this game lacks. Golf is about drama, tension, & atmosphere. These areas are absent in the PGA series.
As beautiful as PGA 12 looks & as wonderful as it plays EA need to work heavily on presentation if they are to take this game to another level. It's not just about including events such as The Masters it's about bringing those events to life in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
Presentation is where this game lacks. Golf is about drama, tension, & atmosphere. These areas are absent in the PGA series.
Agree about that. The news about no playoffs in the event of a tie has all but killed my interest this year. Can you imagine - new Road to the Masters mode, we work our way through Q school, nationwide tour etc, finally qualify for the Masters where we have a ding-dong battle with Tiger which ends with the two of us all square after 72 holes, our hearts are pumping... and then a bland computer message pops up 'you win'. Talk about anti-climax! The decisions taken by this bunch of devs never cease to amaze me. I have no doubt that Augusta will look great and be true to life, but that's the only bit of realism I would expect to see in this game.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Chase ..

You're the best writer on Operation Sports .. by far. It's not even close.

Keep up the good work.

DD
GA Sports Network General Manager 1999-2001
On the Green Editor-in-Chief

Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think I got it originally, but perhaps I just never really noticed my club going from right to left. I always felt like in first person my follow ended vertically. Although on the green I guess that's more right to left rather than down up?
I don't know how much of the menu navigation you got to do in your hands-on, but there should have been an options menu at some point where "vertical" and "horizontal" 'First Person' view could be selected (provided there is an option for vertical... we already know it has "horizontal" based on the video shown at GamerAccess.com).

BTW, in the GamerAccess.com video interview with Mike DeVault, Mike is demonstrating the Move swing with first person view, and he is actually set up to show the condition I'm trying to avoid. Notice that he is swinging the Move toward the screen (his left hip is facing the screen as if he's hitting an imaginary ball at it), yet the clubhead movement on the screen is 90 degrees out of phase with his physical movement. This was very disorienting to me the time I played my friend's Wii version of TW 11. I showed him how to go in and change it to "vertical", so that now, the virtual golfer's feet are aligned bottom to top on the screen, making them and thereby your swingpaths match direction.

I really hope EA Sports didn't miss putting this option in the PS3 version. It made a huge difference in the quality of immersion I personally sensed in the Wii version.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Chase, I had another question to ask... did you get a chance to play a pitch and/or a chip shot in your time with the game? I'd like to know if the Move swing motion required to execute them was proportional to the shot result. IOW, I hope you didn't have to take a full swing to execute a 10 yard chip shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Chase, I had another question to ask... did you get a chance to play a pitch and/or a chip shot in your time with the game? I'd like to know if the Move swing motion required to execute them was proportional to the shot result. IOW, I hope you didn't have to take a full swing to execute a 10 yard chip shot.
I know you can lock in the swing power during the pre-swing setup if you choose. But I only played so many holes, and I was sticking the greens on approach shots because the difficulty level wasn't very high.

My way to answer that is if the 1-to-1 swing was proportional in the Wii MotionPlus version, it should be that way here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »