Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #73
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

Sounds like one of them Phil shots.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #74
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I watched this video and paid particular attention to this shot. I'n not sure what kind of shot you would call what whoever was controlling the golfer setup here. The ball was moved back in the stance considerable toward the right heel and then the "strike" meter cursor was placed toward the top third of the ball. The player stopped short of 100% full swing. I would estimate it to be maybe 70 to 80%.

From the way the shot was setup, I would have thought it would produce a hot, low trajectory punch shot that would travel 60 to 70 yards. I wasn't so surprised at its trajectory, but what shocked me was how quick it came to a stop. It just didn't compute, but then again, my brain doesn't quite know what to make of the strike meter. I know in real life, I'm not thinking about what spot on the ball I'm targeting. Unless I'm in a bunker, I'm just thinking about hitting the ball with the same spot on the club, just prior to making contact with the ground. OTOH, if I'm in the bunker, I'm going to hit behind the ball if I'm in a greenside bunker or a little higher on it if its a fairway bunker.

If you read Fred Parrow's, Gamechanger blog on the official page, and then his follow up to questions about his blog in the official forum, he said that he was able to create a chipshot that looked and behaved like a chipshot in his play testing. A chipshot wouldn't have worked in the scenario we're discussing here, but one would think that if a believable chip shot can be created, it would stand to reason that a pitch shot should as also be possible. This looked more like a punch with bodacious backspin on it.
I think what you said is part of the problem. To hit a shot in real golf with backspin you hit down on the ball and strike it first (with every shot really, except bunker shots and some flop shots).

EA seems to think that the placing the hit marker below the ball it will result in more backspin? If that is the way the game is developed that is totally backward.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #75
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

I looked at the DJ 30 yard approach a little more and I overstated the degree to which it came to a stop. It did roll a bit more like a lower lofted club pitch. The problem is that it looks like the player was trying to setup what would be more of a skulled punch shot, which would not have stopped rolling nearly as quickly as it did in the video. I hope they're still tuning things like this.

One other thing to point out here about this video. I never saw the gamer put post shot spin on the ball, but I did notice the cursor was placed and left on the ball in the strike meter, prior to the shot we're discussing. I'm not sure how the difficulty settings are going to work this year; perhaps once you advance to Pro now, the post shot spin is no longer available. I don't play Amateur or Pro, but I think currently that post shot spin is still available to the gamer in Pro.

The point I'm trying to make here is this, if this demo had been played in Tournament difficulty as opposed to the Pro or Amateur that it obviously was, would the result of that swing and setup be as forgiving as what we saw? I think not...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #76
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
I think what you said is part of the problem. To hit a shot in real golf with backspin you hit down on the ball and strike it first (with every shot really, except bunker shots and some flop shots).

EA seems to think that the placing the hit marker below the ball it will result in more backspin? If that is the way the game is developed that is totally backward.
Many seem to be looking at the hit marker and stance editer(pretty much all of the Total Control) as something beyond a new face and name for the old loft/deloft fade/draw system. I haven't seen any gameplay videos that indicate it is anything more than a step forward presentation wise of the same old system. A definite step forward and better representation of real life setup, but there appears to still be a lot of room between better and spot on.

I can't help but think this is another area where people are setting themselves up for disappointment due to high expectations. EA isn't helping in this area with the hype machine but they are trying to sell THIS game and not the series or the EA brand.

For me, hopefully we will see $60(+DLC) worth of step forward from '12. Anything beyond that is money in the pocket.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
Guess I'm not understanding, in golf you get under and scoop the ball and it creates backspin. Placing the hit marker at the bottom of the ball is therefore correct.

Last edited by peigone; 01-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #78
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
I can't help but think this is another area where people are setting themselves up for disappointment due to high expectations.
Heh, no high expectations here, I've learned to approach every TW console game with expectations dragging along the fairway, I'm never disappointed.

Last edited by peigone; 01-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
Many seem to be looking at the hit marker and stance editer(pretty much all of the Total Control) as something beyond a new face and name for the old loft/deloft fade/draw system. I haven't seen any gameplay videos that indicate it is anything more than a step forward presentation wise of the same old system. A definite step forward and better representation of real life setup, but there appears to still be a lot of room between better and spot on.

I can't help but think this is another area where people are setting themselves up for disappointment due to high expectations. EA isn't helping in this area with the hype machine but they are trying to sell THIS game and not the series or the EA brand.

For me, hopefully we will see $60(+DLC) worth of step forward from '12. Anything beyond that is money in the pocket.
This is what I initially thought and I still stand by it. They aren't introducing anything new, they simply changed the shot controls to make it more user friendly which is fine but if that's what they are hanging thier hat on then I don't think that's nearly enough to justify buying the new version.

They did add tempo but we still have to see how much of an effect that really has and that's something that was in the PC game for years so it's not some innovative improvement. And TW12 did have some type of tempo involved with that swing. You couldn't just hold the joystick at the top for 3 seconds and still get a great shot, and the slowness and quickness of your joystick flick affected the distance of your swing. With TW13 they offer you the feedback on your swing afterwards (which again the PC version had for years) which is nice but not earth shattering since the ball tracer tells you pretty quickly the trajectory of your shot and how you screwed up.

I'm not interested in Kinect, just doesn't seem user friendly to me but I'm not a fan of Kinect to begin with and I would get bored with it after a week. Just seems like too much work even to get around the menus.

Now if they did improve the swing so your actual joystick does really feel like an extension of the onscreen club, specifically with shots around the green that need that little "touch" which makes it feels rewarding then that will be worth buying. I'm just not seeing it on those videos so far. The swing still looks detached for lack of a better word, maybe the questionable physics has something to do with that as well.

They really will have to wow me on presentation with career mode and make it much more involving (playoffs please) to get my money this year because that's where the replay value is.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 01-27-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #80
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Guess I'm not understanding, in golf you get under and scoop the ball and it creates backspin. Placing the hit marker at the bottom of the ball is therefore correct.
Backspin is created by how you strike the ball, not where. Striking down on the ball is what creates the spin. Irl where you strike the ball ends up effecting distance and height more. That is one of the reasons flop shots hit with little to no back spin in spite of how low you hit the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »