Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Tiger Woods 13 Announcement + First Feature Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Anything new with putting this year? The system used last year was not alot of fun to play.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/li....page#19356274

Lots of discussion from folks who have played with the new game.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
I don't plan to buy another edition until they add some way to play a full season or career with friends.
I don't get this either, I loved the tournaments you could do with Links back on Xbox. Has Tiger even given people the ability to do anything similar to that yet? Seems like it'd be a simple addition, especially since golf is the one game you can compete against other people without them actually needing to be online at the same time as you. You play you're round and upload, they can play their's when it's convenient to them.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 24

Unless true aim has been reinstated (I haven't heard anything) then I'm not sure what the big deal is about the new swing mechanic. If you still have an aiming marker then it still feels artificial and let's be honest here, you are swinging a joystick so it's never gonna feel like a real golf swing.

If chipping is improved then that is a welcome addition because it was embarrasingly bad. Difficulty isn't a problem with this game (especially on the more sensitive PS3 controller) and I don't recall hitting 240 yds out of the rough last year. Just don't max out your golfer's abilities and you'll have plenty of challenge offline. And people will still be shooting -30 online like someone mentioned.

The new swing will fun for a couple of days but what is the new game offering that will keep you playing after a week. It looks like the same bland career mode that offers absolutely no customization, the same graphics, another boring play thru Tiger's career mode, a cheap attempt to get you to buy the more expensive addition just to get a green jacket ceremony which is inexcusable not to be offered in the basic game. There is little doubt that you will have to spend over $100 again to get the game and all the DLC courses because they won't allow you to use the TW12 DLC courses that you paid good money for to be used in TW13 even though the graphics are the same.

I'm glad some of you guys are genuinely excited about this but I am seriously underwhelmed and expect the same carnival pins and lack of playoffs or tournament feel which just makes the game dull. You could do alot of shot variations last year so this TSC is not making me excited. It may be good for tempo but for everything else with shot types it will be predetermined before you swing would it not? You could draw or fade the ball last year or put topspin or backspin so they are just presenting the shot choices in a different manner. Instead of using the aiming marker on a golf ball icon you have the ability to move the golfer's feet and you still know exactly where it's gonna go because of the aiming marker. It's still the same end result of what you want the ball to do and predetermined. What is so revolutionary about that? There's only so much you can do when you use a controller anyways. More concentration should have been done on making the game feel alive instead of changing the HUD.

Seriously am I missing something here? Watching the videos they just simply changed the way as to guage the accuracy of your swing. Instead of showing a line of your swing on the ball icon, they just use an arc on the golfer. It may look nicer but there's nothing mind boggling about it.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 01-11-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Seriously am I missing something here?
In the EA Tiger forum thread referenced above, there are a number of tidbits of information from those who have used the new swing that are very informative and to me answer many of the questions/criticisms about gameplay that you posted above. All you have seen is a video about the TSC from the easiest difficulty. More is going to be released in the coming weeks about the different difficulty levels and how they impact the challenge of TSC....
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #29
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Unless true aim has been reinstated (I haven't heard anything) then I'm not sure what the big deal is about the new swing mechanic.
I'm not sure what you mean by reinstated regarding TrueAim, but there's nothing to say that TrueAim is gone. Maybe you mean TrueAim as it was in TW11? What I did learn yesterday is that there will be a lot of different camera angles and options this year, in follow-up to a question I had about TrueAim camera finishing camera cut options.

I think we saw Amateur or Pro play difficulty in Mike DeVault's demo yesterday. I can't gauge much about how I'll play the game from that.

Quote:
If you still have an aiming marker then it still feels artificial and let's be honest here, you are swinging a joystick so it's never gonna feel like a real golf swing.
We don't know yet what sort of aiming marker we'll have in Tournament difficulty, but I'm sure it won't be as precise as what we saw in the video. I certainly never expected to have the sensation of moving a thumbstick feel like a real golf swing, but I've always thought it could model the mechanics of it more realistically... Links 2004 proved that to me on the XBox!

Quote:
It looks like the same bland career mode that offers absolutely no customization, the same graphics, another boring play thru Tiger's career mode,
I haven't seen anything yet about changes to career mode so I have no idea what might be new. I suspect there will be some changes, but I'm not banking on anything eath shattering.... it has been bland to me so far, so there is room for major improvement here.

Quote:
a cheap attempt to get you to buy the more expensive addition just to get a green jacket ceremony which is inexcusable not to be offered in the basic game. There is little doubt that you will have to spend over $100 again to get the game and all the DLC courses because they won't allow you to use the TW12 DLC courses that you paid good money for to be used in TW13 even though the graphics are the same.
I'll buy he C.E., but I'm hoping that none of the extra five courses are fantasy courses... they do absolutely nothing for me and will be lucky to get played once (just to remind me how bad I hate them!). I get five courses for $10 extra, and that sounds like a bargain to me... I really don't care about the rest of the stuff offered on the C.E. Green jacket ceremony? I'll probably click out of it before it finishes anyway.

Tiger's legacy mode? Of no interest to me... I buy golf games to build my own character and play the game with what I've invested in his developement.

Quote:
I'm glad some of you guys are genuinely excited about this but I am seriously underwhelmed and expect the same carnival pins and lack of playoffs or tournament feel which just makes the game dull. You could do alot of shot variations last year so this TSC is not making me excited
I'm not excited about TSC because of the video, I'm pumped about it after reading Fred Parrow's blog about it. He plays the game with the same mindset as me. He sold me on TSC as being revolutionary with what he said in his blog and in his answers to my specific questions about it in the TW official forum. Will we get carnival pins again this year? Don't know for sure, but I suspect we will.

I think you may have missed his comment also that the physics of all shot types have been improved for the better, not just chip shots. Fairway woods now have the proper trajectory, which have always been almost as bad as chip shot presentation. As long as I've harped on the need for tempo in this interface, I owe them a fair trial of it to see how it feels myself before I pronounce judgement on it. I've talked to two Game Changers who've had their hands on it now, and the both say they can't fully describe what it feels like, but both say it feels a lot better and engaging than what we've had.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

I found EA Sports, Tiger Woods Community Manager John Coleman's comment about the camera angles and presentation:

"I have seen a couple people ask about the camera angles in this year's game. I am proud to say that we have added a bunch of different camera angles and perspectives (for both normal shots and putting) that you will be able to toggle thru using RB/R1 on your controller!

So no more getting stuck under a tree or lining up a putt without knowing where you are aiming!"

I hope part of this means that we will have a "cut to finish" camera option in TrueAim. I also hope it means we can select the point at which the camera switches from the swing cam to a cut view camera in "Presentation" mode.

And Seymour, just to give you a better idea of how profoundly the tempo component affects the shot, this is from one of the devs:

"Perfect tempo is dynamic based on the distance you are trying to hit. The speed needed for perfect on a long drive compared to a short pitch are very different. So while "grooving" in perfect tempo on one shot may be possible, it will hurt you when you try a different shot. You have to be able to feel out the speed of every shot you take. This dynamic factor increases across difficulty, making the short shots require the utmost touch in Tour Pro and Tournament. You can easily blast a short pitch shot over the other side of the green if you aren't careful."
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Did they fix the pin placements? If not, this is all for naught.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #32
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

I read through that thread and I find this mildly exciting:

Quote:
I went to Tiburon in October to get a look at the game and this was very early on in the build. Oblong and Sloaner were there in December so they saw a way better build, but from what I experienced in October is that this new mechanic is a true game changer. It is unreal how many different shots you can hit. There is no such thing as pushing the square or x button to switch to a punch/flop/etc, you manually have to set up your stance, ball placement and strike meter to hit the correct shot . There is nothing like getting a bunker, manually opening your stance, placing the strike meter an inch into the sand, and playing a legitimate blast shot!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »