Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingguru
I stopped listening right there.....
Same here....sounds like someone had their mind made up before they even downloaded the demo.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #66
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
I played one hole and deleted the demo. Frame rate was choppy, didn't like the swing meter, couldn't stand the putting gauge...IMO there is no compelling reason what so ever, based on the demo, to spend $60 on this game if you have a previous copy.
LOL....you can determine that a completely new swing mechanic isn't compelling after one hole? Um, ok.

Fact is the demo was completed in mid-January to make it in to Sony and MS in time for release. The majority of code tuning and polishing took place over the final 6 weeks of development. The Devs have stated that many of the issues being reported in the demo have been resolved in the final code, all of which you are critical of. Also, many users felt the same way about the swing mechanic change and putting interface. However, many of those same users have put some time into the demo and are reporting back that they see why the changes were made and they feel the changes were time well spent and instead of skipping the game, they are now either considering buying it or have pre-ordered it. TW13 is not going to appeal to everyone and it seems your mind is made up after one hole. I hope you find what you are looking for some day....
Old 03-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #67
Rookie

kickingguru's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
I've not had a go with this demo yet, but I haven't got a clue why they have changed the putting system.

The one in '12 is almost perfect - you actually have to judge the weight of the putt and there are no easy 10 footers on the harder difficulty levels. Changing it back to what it used to be is a step back.
The putting did not change much. It is actually easier to miss putts due to tempo being a factor and it being much more difficult to hit the perfect speed. The way it operates is exactly the same with the variable of your tempo now taking effect. Tournament mode is the one that most are "complaining" about as it does reduce your power meter to your aiming marker. You still have to be in tempo however and that is really hard with out the meter to show you.... basically same system as 12 with a few tweaks that make it harder...

There are a lot of opinions floating around here... some are informed and many are just backlash from the last 6 years of frustration people have had with EA. You have to sort out the difference unfortunately.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 0
I don't get why people say 12 held your hand. The swing meter is a perfect example of the game holding your hand. It's an even easier version of the 3 click meter. The caddy just seemed to speed up gameplay. I visually didn't like the caddy option but I never felt like I was cheating when I used it.

The swing meter on the other hand makes me feel like a huge cheater.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownRiot
The swing meter on the other hand makes me feel like a huge cheater.
It is disabled in Tournament mode by default.....
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #70
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I spent some more time in the demo.

I really love the new swing with tempo. The way you set up shots is great. Finally we can actually miss fairways and approach shots... but

Unfortunately I just hate the short game. Everything from the tee and approach shots is revolutionary! Once you get close to the green though things seem to take a massive step back.

What happened to chipping? You are too far to putt, but only just off the fringe but really close to the hole. What do you do in this game? You have to totally baby a 60 degree wedge with a tiny swing. In real life, that's not hard to do, but with a thumb stick on a controller? I wish I had the hand-eye coordination for that. I know tempo matters now, but still it is too touchy for me. I know I can't be the only one. Try purposely putting some balls just off the green but close to the hole and try it. Am I the only one having these problems, or is there something I'm missing? Has this just been built for motion controllers? As I said, the full swing is fantastic, but the short game is terrible.

Also, putting just feels "wrong" to me. It is very hard to describe. Try tournament speed greens in this demo vs TW12. The ball has no mass to it. We're just back to aiming for the hole on every putt instead of lag putting. Maybe it is just the green selection in the demo but there's no tricky greens. You just aim for the cup and blast it in. It actually seems too easy. It is hard to explain but the physics of putting on fast greens seems to have taken a major step backwards.

I'm also really disappointed to see true-aim omitted completely yet again.

Please, if I am missing something obvious or just need more practice, please let me know. I always enjoy a new TW game each year. Even if TW12 disappointed in ways it was still a fun game. This just feels like one step forward and two steps back yet again.

Right now I'm re-downloading all my TW11 DLC and going to go back to that. I'm really disappointed as I really wanted to like this.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #71
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
What happened to chipping? You are too far to putt, but only just off the fringe but really close to the hole. What do you do in this game? You have to totally baby a 60 degree wedge with a tiny swing. In real life, that's not hard to do, but with a thumb stick on a controller?
Yeah. I find the way the meter works a bit odd as well.

Keep in mind that your backswing speed doesn't matter so you can do it slower if it helps your accuracy. It doesn't 'feel' anymore realistic that way but it does make chipping a little easier.

Tempo is only effected by downswing speed (the higher in the power arc you are going the faster your downswing needs to be in order to reach "perfect"...also the devs stated that you have about a 3% chance of getting "perfect" on the highest difficulty so don't worry about it too much)

I also find that it helps if I take a few practice swings (click down on left stick) and move to the second overhead camera for a better view of the power arc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 12
Man, gamers are a fickle bunch. It's funny to hear people complain that this game is too "arcadey." Well, a golf game pretty much has to be more arcadey to be fun. A football game does not. A basketball game does not. Golf is a completely different genre and the real-life game of golf is the most difficult game to master on the planet. If it was a true golf simulation, most of us would be shooting in the mid-90s or worse and would break our controllers. I

If I want true simulation golf, I will go out to my local course and play 18 holes. That's the great thing about golf, you don't need to be a genetic freak to play the game and have fun. Football games are different. I want a simulation football game because real football is so exciting and fun and blocking and tackling are actually fun in real-life... plus, I can't play football competitively, so I want the game to closely mimic the sport as it possibly can.

With all that said, and the difference in the genres between golf and football, and me being an avid golfer myself, and working on qualifying for my local state amateur tournament, I love the demo. And I loved the new swing mechanics. And yeah, it might be easy, but that's the most enjoyable part of the game. I may never be able to shoot a 59 IRL... but I can at Augusta in Tiger Woods. That's so cool, shoot a 59 at Augusta... it may never be done, but I can make it a reality in a video game. Pretty cool. Now, some people may hate that bc it's not realistic. But, for me, golf is such a tough game in real life, that it's fun to actually be able to do that.

Anyway, I really liked the demo and will probably be picking this game up. Just my .02

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »