Home

Jack's Record Is Safe

This is a discussion on Jack's Record Is Safe within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #169
Rookie

GreenLightning's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Jack's Record Is Safe

Which younger rivals are you talking about? The only one who has really stepped up on a consistent basis in the majors is Koepka.

Yeah there are a bunch of young guns coming up but I think a few who might have been considered serious threats have shown cracks and an inability to perform on a consistent basis. Day and Fowler are two that come to mind.

I give Tiger a shot at 5 more majors if he can win at the Masters next year. His showing at the PGA was remarkable considering he can't hit driver. The 64 on Sunday was amazing.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #170
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Rory and Jordan have 4 and 3, and are not even 30. That is nothing to sniff at whatsoever. Hell Speith just won one last year! Sure they aren't perfect, but that many majors is already an incredible career and I'd be willing to bet they'll both win at least one more. I think sometimes those of us who watched Tiger absolutely obliterate golf for a while tend to forget how hard it is to win these things.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #171
Rookie

GreenLightning's Arena

The more I watch Tiger the more I get the feeling that he is at least as good if not better than any of them

Rory hasn't been the same since the soccer incident. DJ since the bizarre fall before the Masters. Spieth can be a train wreck at times no idea what is up there.
Woods is as good as any of them and if he could find a club he could hit 275 off the tee and put it in the fairway he would be impossible to beat week in and week out despite the physical problems. He's mentally stronger than all of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #172
Rookie

GreenLightning's Arena

Obviously age is against him winning many more majors. There is a list on this page showing how old each player was when they won their last major. But if anyone can do it Woods can.

https://www.thoughtco.com/these-are-...to-win-1565917
Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #173
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLightning
Which younger rivals are you talking about? The only one who has really stepped up on a consistent basis in the majors is Koepka.

Yeah there are a bunch of young guns coming up but I think a few who might have been considered serious threats have shown cracks and an inability to perform on a consistent basis. Day and Fowler are two that come to mind.

I give Tiger a shot at 5 more majors if he can win at the Masters next year. His showing at the PGA was remarkable considering he can't hit driver. The 64 on Sunday was amazing.
Koepka, DJ, Spieth, Rahm, Thomas, Rory, Reed, Fleetwood, Finau….I mean, the list is long. Jason Day has had injury problems, but prior to that he was on a pretty impressive trajectory.

Quote:
The more I watch Tiger the more I get the feeling that he is at least as good if not better than any of them

Rory hasn't been the same since the soccer incident. DJ since the bizarre fall before the Masters. Spieth can be a train wreck at times no idea what is up there.
Woods is as good as any of them and if he could find a club he could hit 275 off the tee and put it in the fairway he would be impossible to beat week in and week out despite the physical problems. He's mentally stronger than all of them.
The point is that while Tiger might be better than any one of them on any given day, he has to be better than all of them for 4-straight days to win. I would take the combination of all the under-35 golfers vs. Tiger in every major from now until he retires. I would NOT have taken that bet from 1999-2008.

Quote:
Obviously age is against him winning many more majors. There is a list on this page showing how old each player was when they won their last major. But if anyone can do it Woods can.

https://www.thoughtco.com/these-are-...to-win-1565917
I think age is less of a factor in the modern game, because guys are in better shape and equipment/technology has lessened the disadvantages that come with age. The issue with Tiger isn't age, it's injury. Lacking any major surgeries and injuries, I'd definitely like Tiger's chances until he's at least in his late 40's. But the guy has had multiple knee surgeries, multiple back surgeries, neck surgery, spinal fusion....I mean, I'm beyond impressed that he's even out there playing golf, let alone a serious threat to win in the last 2 majors of the year.

I have admitted that I underestimated Tiger, and it's quite possible I continue to do so. But it's just asking a lot - too much, in my opinion - to say that a guy that is getting into his mid-40's who spent the better part of 2+ years on the rack convalescing from serious injuries and who, less than a year ago, thought he was done ever playing competitive golf, is going to regain the dominance of his prime for even a short period of time.

For me, step 1 for Tiger is his playing a full season's worth of tournaments (for him). He doesn't have to play every week, and to some extent, he's always been a pick-and-choose tournaments and focus his efforts on the majors type of player, but if he can stay healthy for a whole season, then I think that changes how I think about his odds. There's no questioning his talent, focus, and desire, but his body has taken an awful beating for such a young man. Frankly, I just hope he's healthy enough to enjoy life beyond golf, because for a while there, it wasn't clear he ever would be.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #174
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

I would have to say that Woods being able to win 5 more major tournaments in the next 8 years when he turns 50 is at best a long shot. However I think anyone on the tour winning 5 major tournaments in the next 8 years is a stretch as well.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #175
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
I would have to say that Woods being able to win 5 more major tournaments in the next 8 years when he turns 50 is at best a long shot. However I think anyone on the tour winning 5 major tournaments in the next 8 years is a stretch as well.
I don’t think it is a stretch for Brooks Koepka.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #176
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Bottle this swing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »