Home

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Available Today - Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Available Today - Post Your Impressions Here within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #801
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Available Today - Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
I thought so too..
Perhaps it's a licensing issue?

or, perhaps with those other franchises they see the Vault games as a possible gateway to the current year releases, but as they don't have that anymore for golf and don't plan to, they see no point in being in the golf space at all?

There certainly must be some thought to this it would stand to reason.
It is plausible EA Sports has given up on the exclusive PGA TOUR franchise for the first time since 1990, but I can't see it happening unless I see something official to that effect.

If they did, I would hope that HBS picks it up for TGC 2019......

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #802
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Further evidence EA is not coming back to console PGA TOUR Golf anytime soon.....
I wouldn’t go that far. My first thought was that they might be working on a new game. I don’t know why they would need to take a game out of the vault unless it could hate sales for other games they produce.

It’s all speculation, but removing a game reduces EA Access’ value. But if the game being available drives negative talk around the game, like we see here whenever anyone tries to post favorably about it, or they find that many potential customers are casual enough that having the free game will make buying the new one unimportant, then it makes sense.

But I see zero reason to drop the game if there is not another one being worked on. That doesn’t mean there is one, but I have a hard time seeing how this is evidence that EA is dropping golf. Might mean they are dropping the PGA as a license, though.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #803

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I wouldn’t go that far. My first thought was that they might be working on a new game. I don’t know why they would need to take a game out of the vault unless it could hate sales for other games they produce.

It’s all speculation, but removing a game reduces EA Access’ value. But if the game being available drives negative talk around the game, like we see here whenever anyone tries to post favorably about it, or they find that many potential customers are casual enough that having the free game will make buying the new one unimportant, then it makes sense.

But I see zero reason to drop the game if there is not another one being worked on. That doesn’t mean there is one, but I have a hard time seeing how this is evidence that EA is dropping golf. Might mean they are dropping the PGA as a license, though.
I could be wrong as I don't have EA access but don't they keep older versions in there for other games they currently producing?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #804
MVP

Quote:

It is all speculation. Never stated what I did as absolute fact, but then again why remove the game? We could speculate all day long,. Makes ZERO sense unless they are or are going to release the PGA TOUR license as I stated earlier.

And discussion of this game is decidedly negative EVERYWHERE, not just here. And for good reason.

EA gave a half @ss effort on RM and continued by supporting it with a half @ss effort and quitting on the game when they said that it was the foundation of PGA TOUR games for years to come.

What a pitiful end to the exclusive PGA TOUR license for EA Sports.

The Golf Club 2
Old 04-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #805
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I could be wrong as I don't have EA access but don't they keep older versions in there for other games they currently producing?
Yes.

You can download and play:

Madden 25
Madden 15, 16, 17 and 18

NBA Live 14, 16 and 18

NHL 15-18
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #806
MVP

What if TGC 2019's big announcement is that they now have the license!?

Perhaps that also would tie in with their newfound interest in official real courses and allowing user time of day and conditions settings?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #807
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yes.

You can download and play:

Madden 25
Madden 15, 16, 17 and 18

NBA Live 14, 16 and 18

NHL 15-18
That’s why this feels so weird. They have 360 games in The Vault. So why drop a game that they still sell? My guess is that it will drop out of the Xbox store sooner than later, too.

I’m not sure why TGC possibly getting the license moving forward would force EA to stop sellling their game.

Again, if anything, EA Access is more caluable with more games. Even if viewed as a half-assed game, it’s something worth playing if the price is right.

But as I said, as people discover it later and began discussing it, it seems to attract a vocal subset that feels that any positive mention of the game needs to be met with their negative views. You can’t have an Internet discussion of the game, even when the people enjoying it aknowledges it’s faults.

Maybe they plan on showing a new golf game at E3, but they want to distance the new game as far as possible from RMPGAT for marketing reasons.

Maybe forgoing the PGA license has the effect of removing their right to use it on their old games.

It’s weird situation. I would love it if a journalist could find more reliable sources for what is going on with EA and golf.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #808
MVP

Quote:
That’s why this feels so weird. They have 360 games in The Vault. So why drop a game that they still sell? My guess is that it will drop out of the Xbox store sooner than later, too.

I’m not sure why TGC possibly getting the license moving forward would force EA to stop sellling their game.

Again, if anything, EA Access is more caluable with more games. Even if viewed as a half-assed game, it’s something worth playing if the price is right.

But as I said, as people discover it later and began discussing it, it seems to attract a vocal subset that feels that any positive mention of the game needs to be met with their negative views. You can’t have an Internet discussion of the game, even when the people enjoying it aknowledges it’s faults.

Maybe they plan on showing a new golf game at E3, but they want to distance the new game as far as possible from RMPGAT for marketing reasons.

Maybe forgoing the PGA license has the effect of removing their right to use it on their old games.

It’s weird situation. I would love it if a journalist could find more reliable sources for what is going on with EA and golf.
When folks discover the game later and start asking questions about it, those who remember playing the game can certainly give their opinions good or bad about the game.

When some find the game and begin giving the game glowing reviews of the gameplay, that is certainly their right to do so. However, when those glowing reviews are met with differing opinions, then those differing opinions are vehemently challenged to the point of ridiculous challenges, then that is altogether a different matter.

At the end of the day, EA Sports sold RM as a non-yearly releasing game and that what was released in 2015 was going to be built upon for years to come with new content via free and paid DLC, not a new game every year as was the model. Imagine most of our surprise when less than a year in, EA throws in the towel and shoves the game into the Vault and then announces at a Quarterly earnings meeting that they were exiting the console Golf market because they can't make money at it.

At one time, I was one of EA Sports Golf's biggest supporters. That ended when they threw RM into the Vault essentially ending development for it and then announced they were exiting the console Golf market. You might expect some less than positive comments about them and the game with those actions taking place.

As far as the PGA TOUR license, I don't know the ins and outs of that agreement. However, when EA and Tiger split, things were set in motion the minute the ink dried to sell everything they had already manufactured with his name on it and stop manufacturing any Tiger content. It may be similar or not with the PGA TOUR license.

I HIGHLY doubt EA is returning to console Golf. If they are giving up the PGA TOUR license, HBS is the logical one for the TOUR to turn to to pick up the license as they are the only Developer/Publisher who has a console Golf game in development. Their relationship and work with EA on numerous Tiger titles positions them well if this is indeed the case.

The Golf Club 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »