Home

Actual Golf: General Tourney discussion

This is a discussion on Actual Golf: General Tourney discussion within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #377
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Actual Golf: General Tourney discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguide
Have any of you all been sufficiently fortunate to really play the Old Course? I truly need to make a trek out there sooner or later. I have a feeling that I can banana-cut it around the lodging on the seventeenth (since that is the one shot shape I can dependably make on-direction), however I wouldn't have the balls to attempt it since I'd be anxious I'd execute somebody by cutting it too hard/too early.
Luckily for you, the good people at the R&A know this, and I'm sure they have precautions at the hotel for the "impact zone" for slicer/hackers like us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Is a bucket list item for me.

My wife and I got married and have yet to take our honeymoon because me playing the Old Course is the sticking point.

Still in ongoing negotiations.
Good luck w/ that....
Old 01-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #378
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

In sad news for all golf fans, Natalie Gulbis is retiring

Spoiler
Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #379

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
In sad news for all golf fans, Natalie Gulbis is retiring

Spoiler

I can’t stress enough how long ago this was but this was me with Ms. Gulbis quite some time ago:

Old 07-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #380

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Ryder Cup postponed to 2021.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #381
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguide
Have any of you all been sufficiently fortunate to really play the Old Course? I truly need to make a trek out there sooner or later. I have a feeling that I can banana-cut it around the lodging on the seventeenth (since that is the one shot shape I can dependably make on-direction), however I wouldn't have the balls to attempt it since I'd be anxious I'd execute somebody by cutting it too hard/too early.
I have! It was a pain in the rear to get the tee time (won the lottery), get up at the crack of dawn and drive all the way out there (from Edinburgh) on the wrong side of the road to boot, there's no range to warm up on so you're walking onto a highly visible first tee dead cold with a lot of people watching, rented clubs, freezing my rear end off the whole time....and it was absolutely a once-in-a-lifetime dream come true experience that I wouldn't have had gone any other way.

I played like crap but I think that's to be expected when you're on no quality sleep (jet-lagged), using rental clubs, there's no range to even warm up on, and my game wasn't exactly in A-1 shape even under the best of circumstances. But it's not about how well you played. That day could have gone on forever as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, I wussed out on 17 and hit my normal draw, and I didn't even have the balls to start it out over the shed toward the hotel. Ended up in the left rough, which is automatic bogey (if you're lucky) and a loooooong way to the putting surface from there. Like I said, I played like absolute garbage (with a sad number of outright shanks to be honest), but it's St Andrews. Just being on the course was its own reward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #382
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Absolutely stupid and unfair that Rahm got a 2-stroke penalty on that chip. Until they have a close-up, slow motion look at every shot for every player, that is not fair at all. Especially since the lie didn't change whatsoever.

At least it didn't affect the outcome.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #383
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Absolutely stupid and unfair that Rahm got a 2-stroke penalty on that chip. Until they have a close-up, slow motion look at every shot for every player, that is not fair at all. Especially since the lie didn't change whatsoever.

At least it didn't affect the outcome.
I agree but watching it in real time, I actually said to my buddy "isn't that a penalty?" but then forgot about it until the end of the round when the broadcasters brought it up. I think they need to tweak the rule even more to say if you (legally) ground your club and the ball moves, it isn't a penalty. Too hard to interpret the nuance otherwise, though.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:20 AM   #384
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

I hate to admit I've never heard of the guy before this week, casual fan ignorance I guess

That chip in, though, I love watching that **** happen live, that's the shot of the year so far and it's so cool to actually watch it as it happens

I was like OHHHHH

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »