Home

The Golf Club 2 - Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on The Golf Club 2 - Impressions Thread within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: The Golf Club 2 - Impressions Thread

Anyone watch the streams of users who got the game over the weekend before launch day?

Smooth as silk which is how the game is programmed to play.

I think they underestimated the server loads on release day.

Steam user loads yesterday were more than double their normal usage.

Could be a gross miscalculation of how many copies would be sold and server capacity needed.

If the server issues were other than that, then we would have seen the same issues with users during the streams.....

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #34
Rookie

OPDriver's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Not sure why being connected online matters so much.....there is no game out today that doesn't require some sort of connection to an online server.

Return the game if it bothers you so much.
Well I can tell you why it matters so much. I don't have the access to high speed internet. There are plenty of games, sports and non-sports, that don't require internet to play. To have a game that requires modes to be connected is pretty frustrating not only for me but others as well. I just want to play a good golf game and I really enjoyed TGC1. I was really looking forward to the new installment and playing it a lot.

2014 OSFC CHAMPION
Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #35
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

I forget what course I was playing this morning, but the 5th hole green apparently had this huge downward slope a few feet past the hole. I had no idea. As getting used to putting can be a bit of a challenge here, I had a 16ft putt. I missed the cup by mere inches, but rolled it a bit past the hole. Just when I thought it was going to stop and I could hit my easy 2 or 3 footer for par, I see my ball slowly start rolling down the hill... then it picked up speed... rolling... rolling... rolling... all the way until I was left with a 76 foot putt for par! So, when the game repositions for my next shot, I'm staring at what I'd like to now call the green monster in front of me. A good 5 foot or so hill to climb. No way I'm putting that... So I chip it. What do I do? You guessed it... I mess up the swing percentage, hit just short of the top of the ridge and she rolls right back down to me. What do I do next? Well, I laughed, I yelled, I quit the round because I had to go to work and I'll resume the save after work to see what I'm going to do next. What a disaster.

I will say this about this game... If you played the EA Golf series, I feel it was a game designed to make you feel like you were a professional golfer, with strong skills and accuracy as part of your game. The only thing that could set you off course was a bad swing. Fair enough, right? TGC though... Is a game that I feel was designed to make you feel like the regular golfer that you are. You're going to struggle (especially on tour clubs/difficulty) to hit consistently accurate shots. You're going to have to guess how hard to hit that shot by way of your backswing power/strength. You're going to have to pay attention to those little things that EA golf, especially Rory did for you. I enjoyed that game, but I felt like I could close my eyes and play it from the tee, right up to having to putt. TGC is going to make you think about your shots. It's not just pull back, push up. I feel like Rory played in a way that allowed you to feel like, and score like a tour pro, and TGC plays in a way that makes you think like a regular golfer. When you master it, IF you master it you may score like a pro, and if you do, I think you'll find that feels very rewarding.

To me, that's TGC's biggest strength.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPDriver
Well I can tell you why it matters so much. I don't have the access to high speed internet. There are plenty of games, sports and non-sports, that don't require internet to play. To have a game that requires modes to be connected is pretty frustrating not only for me but others as well. I just want to play a good golf game and I really enjoyed TGC1. I was really looking forward to the new installment and playing it a lot.
Then maybe the game is not for you.

I don't know if a single modern sports game that doesn't require an internet connection.

The Golf Club 2
Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I forget what course I was playing this morning, but the 5th hole green apparently had this huge downward slope a few feet past the hole. I had no idea. As getting used to putting can be a bit of a challenge here, I had a 16ft putt. I missed the cup by mere inches, but rolled it a bit past the hole. Just when I thought it was going to stop and I could hit my easy 2 or 3 footer for par, I see my ball slowly start rolling down the hill... then it picked up speed... rolling... rolling... rolling... all the way until I was left with a 76 foot putt for par! So, when the game repositions for my next shot, I'm staring at what I'd like to now call the green monster in front of me. A good 5 foot or so hill to climb. No way I'm putting that... So I chip it. What do I do? You guessed it... I mess up the swing percentage, hit just short of the top of the ridge and she rolls right back down to me. What do I do next? Well, I laughed, I yelled, I quit the round because I had to go to work and I'll resume the save after work to see what I'm going to do next. What a disaster.

I will say this about this game... If you played the EA Golf series, I feel it was a game designed to make you feel like you were a professional golfer, with strong skills and accuracy as part of your game. The only thing that could set you off course was a bad swing. Fair enough, right? TGC though... Is a game that I feel was designed to make you feel like the regular golfer that you are. You're going to struggle (especially on tour clubs/difficulty) to hit consistently accurate shots. You're going to have to guess how hard to hit that shot by way of your backswing power/strength. You're going to have to pay attention to those little things that EA golf, especially Rory did for you. I enjoyed that game, but I felt like I could close my eyes and play it from the tee, right up to having to putt. TGC is going to make you think about your shots. It's not just pull back, push up. I feel like Rory played in a way that allowed you to feel like, and score like a tour pro, and TGC plays in a way that makes you think like a regular golfer. When you master it, IF you master it you may score like a pro, and if you do, I think you'll find that feels very rewarding.

To me, that's TGC's biggest strength.
Been there, done that Brandon....could not agree more!

The Golf Club 2
Old 06-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #38
Rookie

OPDriver's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Then maybe the game is not for you.

I don't know if a single modern sports game that doesn't require an internet connection.
Madden, NBA2K, Nascar Heat, Dirt 4, etc. I can go on and on....

2014 OSFC CHAMPION
Old 06-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #39
MVP

brandon27's Arena

Quote:
Not sure why being connected online matters so much.....there is no game out today that doesn't require some sort of connection to an online server.

Return the game if it bothers you so much.
To me, as someone who doesn't have the fastest (only 6mpbs) connection it's a problem. Especially if I'm going to play while the wife is trying to watch Netflix, or stream something else online. It's going to make the game somewhat useless to me. I'm ok with it needing to load things, or check for things at times, but please don't be fully reliable on a connection to play an entire round. That's the big issue to me. The nice thing though, is the game seems to save your progress even if you get booted or disconnected like last night, so that's a big plus since you can resume.

I'm able to live with it, I'm sure it will frustrate me a time or two down the road, but I can completely understand why it's a big issue to some and it's hard to just live with. Especially when the only component of the game you can play in offline mode is a handful of the official courses.

With a better connection I wouldn't care at all likely, however that's just not a possibility for me, and many others I'd assume. Heck, even as it is I bought the game digital, so it's not a huge concern for me as you can see. I think had HB been a bit more upfront with the fact that you couldn't play offline career on consoles, but could on PC maybe some wouldn't be so upset either. I remember, I specifically asked in one of these threads if I could play career offline, I was told yes, and linked to a video they released that said I could as well. Nowhere did it specify that feature was PC only in the video. That's what really rubs me the wrong way with this topic. Ultimately, I likely still would have bought the game, because I enjoy it, and the course creator, but it just would have been nice to know.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #40
MVP

brandon27's Arena

Quote:
Been there, done that Brandon....could not agree more!

I didn't want to get too into it, but I'll admit. I lost my mind at the game. Scared the crap out of my dog screaming at it to be honest lol However, then I thought about it and said to myself... "You idiot. You've done that a couple times on the real course too in your life, so it's only fitting."

As frustrating as it was, as I said earlier to me, that's the real beauty of this game. It's going to painfully remind you of your own growing pains with the real game of golf as well, and that's a great thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »