Home

What's the best PC golf game right now?

This is a discussion on What's the best PC golf game right now? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Icon5 What's the best PC golf game right now?

Aside from The Golf Club 2, which I own and have played the heck out of on the PS4, what is a great golf game for the PC?

I have built a really nice rig and expected to find some really amazing graphically games for golf like my old days (back in the 90's) that would sport awesome graphics but not really finding any.

What games do you guys play on the PC that look fantastic, or are there none?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What's the best PC golf game right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Aside from The Golf Club 2, which I own and have played the heck out of on the PS4, what is a great golf game for the PC?

I have built a really nice rig and expected to find some really amazing graphically games for golf like my old days (back in the 90's) that would sport awesome graphics but not really finding any.

What games do you guys play on the PC that look fantastic, or are there none?
I was enjoying Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf on the PC, until TGC 2 came along. I used the real time controller swing in JNPG and had conditioned my swing to deal with the animation lag between the golfer and the actual stick movement. When I started playing TGC 2, I became acclimated to its more fluidly animated mo-capped golfers, and their tighter integration with the stick movement.

I can no longer play JNPG because I can't keep compensating for, or even tolerating the lag. Perfect Parallel is working on new mo-capped golfer animations, along with 3-D, NVIDIA Turf Effects grass in their forthcoming Windows 10/XBox One version of the game. I'm pretty sure we won't see that until next year though.

TGC 2 is the best current golf game on the PC, IMO. I have all three versions of TGC 2, and the PC version plays and looks much better on my PC than it does on the PS4 or XBox One, but I've got a slightly better than average gaming PC, topped out with a Geforce GTX 1060 video card. My frame rates are between 60 and 65 FPS, at graphics settings that are close to being maxed out.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I was enjoying Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf on the PC, until TGC 2 came along. I used the real time controller swing in JNPG and had conditioned my swing to deal with the animation lag between the golfer and the actual stick movement. When I started playing TGC 2, I became acclimated to its more fluidly animated mo-capped golfers, and their tighter integration with the stick movement.

I can no longer play JNPG because I can't keep compensating for, or even tolerating the lag. Perfect Parallel is working on new mo-capped golfer animations, along with 3-D, NVIDIA Turf Effects grass in their forthcoming Windows 10/XBox One version of the game. I'm pretty sure we won't see that until next year though.

TGC 2 is the best current golf game on the PC, IMO. I have all three versions of TGC 2, and the PC version plays and looks much better on my PC than it does on the PS4 or XBox One, but I've got a slightly better than average gaming PC, topped out with a Geforce GTX 1060 video card. My frame rates are between 60 and 65 FPS, at graphics settings that are close to being maxed out.
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to keep an eye on that Perfect Parallel game.

So in TGC2 can you use the controller (I have an Xbox Elite Controller on my PC) if you want on the PC so it plays like the console version or do you have to use the mouse?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 08-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 13

Links 386 Pro.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Links 386 Pro.
LOL, that was my favorite golf game back in the day. I remember upgrading to a Pentium and being so excited to max out those graphics and play Links 386 Pro!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 13

Yeah, in all seriousness, "Links LS" when I first laid eyes on it on a friend's computer, totally blew me away. I honestly think that game still stands up today. I wish Microsoft hadn't killed off the series. But then, Microsoft does a lot of things I wish they wouldn't....

Hope you got your questions answered, by the way. Sorry to semi-hijack the thread w/ my joke. Although I kinda wasn't joking....
Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to keep an eye on that Perfect Parallel game.

So in TGC2 can you use the controller (I have an Xbox Elite Controller on my PC) if you want on the PC so it plays like the console version or do you have to use the mouse?
Sorry for not responding to this earlier... yes, you can use a variety of controllers for TGC 2 on the PC. It's written with the idea of controller play being the control method of choice. It only offers mouse swing as an option, and there is no 3-click option I use my XBox 360 Silver Edition controller primarily with the PC version, although I'll change it up and use the XBox Elite controller with it occasionally. Both of them work great with it!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »