Home

The Golf Club 2019 Announced

This is a discussion on The Golf Club 2019 Announced within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: The Golf Club 2019 Announced

Are they still using that god awful "Unity" engine? Bad frame rates and annoying pop in after 2 games from unity or horrible optimization. If it's in the 3rd game, it's horrible optimization.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #10

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Wow, wasn't expecting this. Amazing news.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Are they still using that god awful "Unity" engine? Bad frame rates and annoying pop in after 2 games from unity or horrible optimization. If it's in the 3rd game, it's horrible optimization.

On which platform are you playing TGC 2? I'm getting 60 to 70 FPS on my slightly better than average gaming PC at some very high detail settings. It's a bit sluggish (25 to 30 FPS) on my XBox One, for sure, but it seems to cuise along at what feels like about 33 to 45 FPS on the XBox One X.

They'll be using SpeedTrees, which will in turn allow them to do GPU Instancing in TGC 2019 This reportedly take a big processing load off the GPU. I guess we'll see what effect that has on the PC version in what appears to be late April, which was later announced today that the Early Access edition of the PC version would be available for purchase on Steam.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Meh, seems underwhelming for me. I’ll have to see more, but I’m not paying $40 for an update. I love this series, but this seems rushed.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Meh, seems underwhelming for me. I’ll have to see more, but I’m not paying $40 for an update. I love this series, but this seems rushed.
I'm surprised they would rush a preview video to the scene, showing pre-alpha footage. Here's a comment I got from the Executive Producer when asking about this yesterday, after I'd commented about it and the fact that I thought the lighting frequently created a washed out look in TGC 2:

"The trailer footage from in game is not a representative of what the final product will look like. One major factor being you didn't see SpeedTree in game. We will also be doing a general lighting pass as well once everything is in there and we can get a good look at it."

What you can't see in that video is the changes they're making to the swing interface. They're progressing on with the tempo implementation, which I thought was a reasonably good start in TGC 2, to give it more nuance. This is what makes the game feel alive and vital to me.

Even with TGC 2's current, rudimentary 1:1 backswing to downswing tempo requirement for optimum tempo (whereas the average real life ration would be more like 1:4 or 1:5), it still gives the game a new dimension you have to manage to hit a good shot. That element of TGC 2 alone is responsible alone for me still playing the game this far into its life because I find its multiplayer and gameplay types lacking, outside of a reasonably well done tournament mode withing Societies.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPDriver
Will the single player mode require an internet connection is what I want to know.
Still no answer on this yet OPDriver, but I did pose the question in its own thread. It now has 65 page views, but no response. It'll get one eventually though.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPDriver
Will the single player mode require an internet connection is what I want to know.
Okay, just got an answer from HB Studios on this... here it is:

"I know JC has asked in a couple of places about needing an online connection. The answer to that question is yes, all modes except the course designer and local play require a connection. This is due to the tie into handicap, courses and virtual currency."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I'm surprised they would rush a preview video to the scene, showing pre-alpha footage. Here's a comment I got from the Executive Producer when asking about this yesterday, after I'd commented about it and the fact that I thought the lighting frequently created a washed out look in TGC 2:

"The trailer footage from in game is not a representative of what the final product will look like. One major factor being you didn't see SpeedTree in game. We will also be doing a general lighting pass as well once everything is in there and we can get a good look at it."

What you can't see in that video is the changes they're making to the swing interface. They're progressing on with the tempo implementation, which I thought was a reasonably good start in TGC 2, to give it more nuance. This is what makes the game feel alive and vital to me.

Even with TGC 2's current, rudimentary 1:1 backswing to downswing tempo requirement for optimum tempo (whereas the average real life ration would be more like 1:4 or 1:5), it still gives the game a new dimension you have to manage to hit a good shot. That element of TGC 2 alone is responsible alone for me still playing the game this far into its life because I find its multiplayer and gameplay types lacking, outside of a reasonably well done tournament mode withing Societies.
Sounds good. Just disappointed TGC2’S lifespan was so short. No updates since late fall. Again will have to wait to see more. Really surprised three games in they have no licensed courses. I realize they’re an indie studio and the focus is on the designer, but figured they’d try to get in one or two. Would really like to play an official pebble or sawgrass with TGC’s 2 swing mechanics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »