Home

What Is the Future of Golf Games? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on What Is the Future of Golf Games? (Roundtable) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: What Is the Future of Golf Games? (Roundtable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB_Alan
I hope so, yes! We're still building them. Two key differences will be we are importing high detail topo data for the fairways, greens and traps; and second, yes we are building some custom 3D assets like clubhouses and other course furniture. So overall, they will be more authentic than what you will see from the normal designer tools.

Awesome to hear!
Different trees/foliage that's specific to unique courses?
Perhaps that's a "see if you need it as you go" sort of thing?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Hey Alan - anything you can speak to regarding swing or gameplay mechanics? Will there be any changes to the green texture, etc? Us no grid guys (true sim tour on tgctours btw) love seeing a "clean" green, but more textures to determine slope, etc, are always welcome. I personally would just love a caddie book that I can include in the courses played, etc. I'm a glutton punishment though lol

Thanks again for openly discussing what you can with us!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Hey Alan - anything you can speak to regarding swing or gameplay mechanics? Will there be any changes to the green texture, etc? Us no grid guys (true sim tour on tgctours btw) love seeing a "clean" green, but more textures to determine slope, etc, are always welcome. I personally would just love a caddie book that I can include in the courses played, etc. I'm a glutton punishment though lol

Thanks again for openly discussing what you can with us!

I'm not currently a TGC player but I have to really echo this comment about the greens/textures in general.

Some fresh variety there would be most welcome.

Please take no offense Alan, but often times I see shots of the greens in particular and I think of Mario Golf. That's a tad hyperbolic, so pardon me on that, it's all I could think of.

They just appear far too uniform and perfect looking in my humble opinion.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
Bummer.

It would be pretty cool if they could access a data source from the tour each week and have "play vs the pros" and tie it into a career mode in the game.
It's actually pretty easy to do. They share the handicap of the fictional golfer so I just went down the list with the golf rankings to rename them for my offline society. Was actually a pretty rewarding experience.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Hi Alfie,
Nothing's been decided yet. Definitely appreciate the comments. We still have more content to announce for TGC 2019 which will be all part of the launch game, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.
Cheers.
No offense to Alfie, but I'm totally okay paying for courses as DLC. It's what we did with Links, and no one had an issue. I don't care if there is a single licensed player at all, but love well made licensed courses, and I know those do not come cheap.

Personally, relying on user made courses actually turns me off. I don't just want lots of content. I want something more realistic than random guys trying to recreate a course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2018, 01:55 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
turns me off. I don't just want lots of content. I want something more realistic than random guys trying to recreate a course.
+1 on that!

I want lots of RCR's and DLC is just fine with me.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2
Golf *games *are missing out not having an ultimate team event in their games , EA do it well in Madden , road to the show do it superbly well in their baseball game , an ultimate team in a new Tiger woods game or just an EA Sprts PGA tour game *would be a hole in one ......... lol*
Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #24
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Hi John, I don't have a definite date. We ported all our custom code over to Unity 2018 first, and rolled it out to the team. Next up was SpeedTree integration and they have them now working well in the backgrounds, next step is obviously the foreground work. Once ready, though, we'll put out some new screens or vids, probably as part of the Dev Talk vid series which we're doing every week (which OS kindly published, thanks guys!).
Thanks for the reply Alan. I'm cautiously optimistic about SpeedTrees and how they're going to impact The Golf Club 2019. As I've stated before, I wasn't that impressed with the SpeedTree implementation in Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf, overall, although some types of trees did come out better looking in that game than before. OTOH, JNPG was a bit hamstrung in that it was striving to be compatibile with DirectX 9, which TGC has thankfully left behind. I'm anxious to see what you guys can do with SpeedTrees in a DirectX 12 environment.

Oh, can we safely assume that TGC 2019 will require Windows 10 on the PC?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »