Home

The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

I played 18 holes last night at Sawgrass and shot 3 under, not too bad for my first round! I've played TGC and TGC 2 and loved both of those games as well. Graphics seemed to be slightly enhanced, gameplay is similar, but slightly different in some ways too. Overall I really like the game and will get a lot of replay value out of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #42
Rookie

DaveMN's Arena

OVR: 2

Playing on PS4 (not Pro). Really happy with the changes for the most part. I've only played single-player, and I'm not into the online features. I'm mostly concerned with the actual game play, which I'm really enjoying. I can't say how happy I am to be able to change course conditions before a round. I can finally make the greens soft enough to behave properly. Putting finally feels right, not like you're putting on a concrete driveway. Pro clubs strike a nice balance for me (a semi-casual player)- not terribly difficult, but there's enough play there to hit my share of errant shots. Chipping and sand shots feel much better. Graphics are a minor improvement- I'm sure it looks better on a PS Pro. I've also changed my cameras to "Full" view- just feels better to me.

Really my only beef is with the occasional graphical stutters. I haven't noticed it on the putting stroke or the backswing yet, but have seen it multiple times while the ball is in the air. I'm confident they'll get it resolved eventually. Oh- and the announcer really needs an upgrade to professional talent.

Last edited by DaveMN; 08-29-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 1

Is it worth going out and buying a microphone? Is chat available playing online?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #44
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12

Haven't had much time with it yet. I played TGC 1 quite a bit but skipped 2. So I went through the tutorial stuff and started Web.com Q School. Got a few holes in before bed last night and few this morning before work and I'm +3 through the front 9.

So far really enjoying it. Small sample size though so that may change once I get more into it but like what I see so far. I didn't play the 2nd game at all but the graphics appear much improved over the first game. I also played the first game on XBOX 1 on a 1080p monitor and I'm playing this on the standard PS4 on a 4k tv.

Can't wait to get more time with it.
Twitter: @CQRDeuce @CQRclub
www.cqrclub.co.uk

Last edited by doubledeuceR6; 08-29-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #45
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfirex007
I might be alone here. But this game is a giant letdown. I'm going to call Playstation tomorrow and pray they give me a refund. Yes gameplay is slightly improved. As is the course editor. It seems faster and more user friendly. Though from what I seen, nothing new was added. Can't comment about the online stuff. Not my cup of tea.

But I bought this game for the PGA tour. To me, it feels like they slapped something together quick just to get to market and said here you go. That's an extra $10 for licensing.

[...snip]
This was my concern given the timing of this game. EA dropped the PGA license what, three months ago? And according to IGN, at least, they still maintain an ongoing relationship with the PGA, whatever that means, so it may be more of a timeshare of sorts for TGC.

Since they seem to be turning the franchise into a yearly release, I'll probably end up waiting until next year's version, giving HB some time to get more polish on the "official" end of things, including gear, courses, and hopefully some better broadcast-like immersion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #46
Pro

EvanRG's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
This was my concern given the timing of this game. EA dropped the PGA license what, three months ago? And according to IGN, at least, they still maintain an ongoing relationship with the PGA, whatever that means, so it may be more of a timeshare of sorts for TGC.

Since they seem to be turning the franchise into a yearly release, I'll probably end up waiting until next year's version, giving HB some time to get more polish on the "official" end of things, including gear, courses, and hopefully some better broadcast-like immersion.
While I completely respect your opinion - from my casual perspective, this game is certainly worth the purchase and is a heads and shoulders leap above TGC2.

I'll certainly get my $53 worth out of this game and wouldn't recommend continuing with TGC2 for another year while waiting for a "better" upgrade.

From a gameplay perspective, I'm finding the swing mechanics on Pro to be a bit more forgiving, which I like and it elicits all the reactions I have playing real golf... excitement at a great shot, followed by sheer disappointment in myself - not the game - for a subsequent bad shot.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #47
Rookie

SethMurphy's Arena

OVR: 3

Other than the issues with the internet dropping constantly, I've found real enjoyment so far in the game.

I am playing with beginner clubs, and playing medium difficulty on the Web.com tour because I haven't played this before and my first round out of the gate I shot a 101, lol. I'm finding myself right at par now, so I will up the difficulty now that I'm getting more comfortable with the controller setup.

Next up is a bunch of guys from work are looking into the game, and we are probably going to setup an online group for all of us to play tournaments against each other
Old 08-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I must say, I am pretty upset over the inability to load 2 profiles to play against each other. I was sure this would be fixed. My wife and I like to play this game but since one of us can't load our profiles when we play it means that literally half the time one of us are playing and not getting any experience at all for our golfer.

This combined with the botched announcements leading up to release has soured me.

With that being said since the wife wants it I'll probably still be buying Friday but if it was up to me I'd be passing, at least for a while...

#disappointed

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »