Home

The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2019, 11:39 PM   #489
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

I'm just now getting a copy of TGC 2019 and I'm wondering if it's still possible to d/l Augusta " Magnolia" National? I was reading its been taken down or the name was changed. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #490
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
I'm just now getting a copy of TGC 2019 and I'm wondering if it's still possible to d/l Augusta " Magnolia" National? I was reading its been taken down or the name was changed. Thanks for any info.
It's now known as "Firethorn National". You'll find it if you just enter that as the search term.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #491
Pro

Icon14 Re: The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
It's now known as "Firethorn National". You'll find it if you just enter that as the search term.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Will I Am; 10-30-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM   #492
MVP

OVR: 9

New to this game, and I am loving it!!

Was always a TW and Links LS guy, but never embraced the whole idea of being able to buy unrealistic club upgrades, spinning the ball by button mashing, and I swore off golf games after that whole debacle.

Fast forward to a week ago, I picked up TGC 2019 for $14 on Amazon (hard copy) and man, I am back into loving my golf game in the dead of winter.

I love the fact that you can choose your club design and based on the set you choose, you get better distance and control, but you had better be in the sweet spot with the Tour set. It seems the idea is that everyone is on the same playing field, and the better you are is based on how much you have played, and learned what each club set's strengths and weaknesses are... so the more you play, the better you get... Seems like that's how golf should be, and not spending credits or real money, for super clubs and crazy spin-rates.

The seemingly unlimited courses to choose from is amazing, and oh by the way, there are some pretty talented course designers out there. Kudos to you guys who have made replicas of places you have played, or have seen... Some of the courses are just ridiculously well done.

Putting... man, putting is frustrating, but it never really seems unfair. On the fast greens, you really need to just play smart, and use course management... again, like golfing should be.

I am still trying to dial in the distance and the roll, especially on the greens. One 5mph wind can knock down your shot on one swing, and the same 5mph wind is like it isn't even there.... not sure where that inconsistency comes from, but I guess maybe that can be attributed to swirling winds...

Someone made a spread sheet for the Tour set of clubs, and that tested the distances and the roll outs with the loft maxed, and minimized. That should be a real help when stuck between distances, and I will venture out with that Tour set and see how my swing is affected. I have gotten the cadence down for the Pro set, but my distance calculations with wind and ball lie are not where I need them to be yet to compete on the Tour.

I LOVE the fact that I am about 5 tourneys in on the Pro Circuit, but only have one top ten finish, and have missed the cut on a couple events. Back in the TW days, I would be crushing the field, and even on Links LS 2004, I had the clubs and putting so maxed, it became not even fun.

I am trying to learn the distance, roll, 100% effort and the ball physics in order to make smart decisions when trying to throw darts at the pin.

I know I am late to the party, but for $14, how could I not give this a rip? So far, I have been neglecting my other games since its arrival, and this should keep my busy til baseball season arrives.

Any tips, hints, ideas, and courses that are similar to real ones that folks have made, would be appreciated.

~syf
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #493
MVP

jr86's Arena

Welcome... Lots of real courses(or pretty close) in the link below.
As you said lots of talented designers around.
Look up anything by Artic Fury or by 1 of his courses (Pearl Mountain) and give yourself a visual treat!

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/inde...0;attach=15583
Old 01-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #494
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Steal re: that spreadsheet you referenced. Since HB made some changes to the loft box shortly after release the spreadsheet may not enable you to play dial a distance like you could in TGC1 or 2. I don't play that way kind of takes the fun and randomness out. I just do a quick cal depending on uphill/downhill and wind and let if fly. More fun that way I don't care too much about the score.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #495
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Steal re: that spreadsheet you referenced. Since HB made some changes to the loft box shortly after release the spreadsheet may not enable you to play dial a distance like you could in TGC1 or 2. I don't play that way kind of takes the fun and randomness out. I just do a quick cal depending on uphill/downhill and wind and let if fly. More fun that way I don't care too much about the score.
Gotcha...

I think I will do the testing on my own, and I am glad they have made it so that: Wind at 6mph, downhill 15 feet, five clicks up on loft = doesn't always add up to 185 yards...

What I will be trying to dial in is the distance with the loft and the non-loft. There seems to be a real discrepancy between an 8 iron, and an 8 iron with full loft on it... I just need to play more, like you say, and let it fly.

I am really enjoying the game, and find it hard enough to keep me interested, rewarding enough to be fun, and frustrating enough to make me want to play more to get better...

I guess at the end of the day, what more could you ask for from a game?

Add the fact it was $15 with tax and shipping, all the user-made courses to play, and my getting beaten like a rented mule on the PGA Tour, and I'll play this one for a while.

Certainly I'll get my $15 worth, and then some.

~syf
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2020, 11:16 PM   #496
MVP

So, after reading through the forum I upgraded my clubs to Master, and immediately went from scoring in the middle of the pack to a tie for 3rd with a 4under par. I am thinking of just restarting my pro career, as I suffered so badly early on, I missed a lot of invitational events.

I will say that the added distance and accuracy has me never looking back to the Pro clubs. I’ll be looking forward to some competitive rounds here with my new sticks.

Also, taking the time to use the B button overhead preview, allows me to use it like a caddy book with yardages and slopes available with one look.

I didn’t realize until tonight that when you address the ball, the L3 button affords you different camera views to address the ball. Putting with one click of R3 gets you a much better perspective and more realistic reads of the greens.

Back to the tour tomorrow after work, and can’t wait to try and win one here soon.

~syf

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »