Home

The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #481
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

I don't get how people shoot the scores they do in TST, seriously. I just read a thread from two posters on the regular PGA tour w/ aids that it takes them between 30 and 45 minutes to play 18h, and these people are reporting average scores of -10 to -14 while doing it. I see now on the current event for TST w/ a pretty difficult course the average score of the leaders is -10 each after 3 rounds, so at -30, and these two players were on either PC or PS4. PC and PS4 players seem to score significantly better and yet they all compete in the same event?

It can't be an accident that PS4/PC users are overall more skilled players, can it? Seems to me it would be worth having separate TST tours for each system employed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #482
Banned

lions67's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp10
I don't get how people shoot the scores they do in TST, seriously. I just read a thread from two posters on the regular PGA tour w/ aids that it takes them between 30 and 45 minutes to play 18h, and these people are reporting average scores of -10 to -14 while doing it. I see now on the current event for TST w/ a pretty difficult course the average score of the leaders is -10 each after 3 rounds, so at -30, and these two players were on either PC or PS4. PC and PS4 players seem to score significantly better and yet they all compete in the same event?

It can't be an accident that PS4/PC users are overall more skilled players, can it? Seems to me it would be worth having separate TST tours for each system employed.
Well there are TST societies just for Xbox as well. Someone has posted that society in this thread. Have you checked that one out yet?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #483
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions67
Well there are TST societies just for Xbox as well. Someone has posted that society in this thread. Have you checked that one out yet?
No but I will thanks again. It's really impressive how TGCTours have been setup but I am afraid couldn't compete even x/ XB1 users. I make just enough swing errors here and there to have to get up and down from the green here and there and my AVERAGE distance to the hole on approach shots is never going to give me a chance to compete. I think my average score is around -2 to -3, w/ a range from +3 to -7. Presumably on the very fast greens we saw at Lake Sophia there is no way to be -10 unless you're in there reasonably tight a good part of the time. This is why I've always said for me and my partner OUR scoring and play is very much a mirror of real world tour playing, whereas for people playing this game on line that is clearly not the case w/ the scores being turned in. Fabulously organized online touring but I'm afraid I'm just not good enough to compete well. I'll look for that group and try again but also I'm not particularly interested in staying with what amounts to a way to make the game sort of too hard to play for mere mortals. Having no scout cam and no putting cursor does not work well for us once again because we don't consistently stiff shots as apparently the typical performers do who make cuts often. We don't use the putting grid and prefer that approach, but no cursor is just too blind. You can't feel the green w/ your feet, and there is no way visuals are on a par w/ real world visuals in terms of reading putts. Even on real world tour play every player knows the green slopes before they even get there w/ detailed charts on both fairways and greens and as such TST feels a little off because of that aspect, a little like blind golf. The real issue I feel is people make perfect swings too often--perfect tempo in particular, and perfect plane/line as well. That does not happen in the real world nor in our world w/ TGC 2019. I feel we are fortunate to have a game very similar to tour play in the real world.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #484
Banned

lions67's Arena

Quote:
No but I will thanks again. It's really impressive how TGCTours have been setup but I am afraid couldn't compete even x/ XB1 users. I make just enough swing errors here and there to have to get up and down from the green here and there and my AVERAGE distance to the hole on approach shots is never going to give me a chance to compete. I think my average score is around -2 to -3, w/ a range from +3 to -7. Presumably on the very fast greens we saw at Lake Sophia there is no way to be -10 unless you're in there reasonably tight a good part of the time. This is why I've always said for me and my partner OUR scoring and play is very much a mirror of real world tour playing, whereas for people playing this game on line that is clearly not the case w/ the scores being turned in. Fabulously organized online touring but I'm afraid I'm just not good enough to compete well. I'll look for that group and try again but also I'm not particularly interested in staying with what amounts to a way to make the game sort of too hard to play for mere mortals. Having no scout cam and no putting cursor does not work well for us once again because we don't consistently stiff shots as apparently the typical performers do who make cuts often. We don't use the putting grid and prefer that approach, but no cursor is just too blind. You can't feel the green w/ your feet, and there is no way visuals are on a par w/ real world visuals in terms of reading putts. Even on real world tour play every player knows the green slopes before they even get there w/ detailed charts on both fairways and greens and as such TST feels a little off because of that aspect, a little like blind golf. The real issue I feel is people make perfect swings too often--perfect tempo in particular, and perfect plane/line as well. That does not happen in the real world nor in our world w/ TGC 2019. I feel we are fortunate to have a game very similar to tour play in the real world.
A little tip about the cams.
Use a ghost with turn order on. That way you can see where their shot goes and lands. That should help alleviate some of the blind golf. The other way is to hit the ( triangle button on PS4) button that gives you an overhead of the hole. Your ball shows up as a white square I believe. From there you can judge distance and approach.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #485
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions67
A little tip about the cams.
Use a ghost with turn order on. That way you can see where their shot goes and lands. That should help alleviate some of the blind golf. The other way is to hit the ( triangle button on PS4) button that gives you an overhead of the hole. Your ball shows up as a white square I believe. From there you can judge distance and approach.
Now see I didn't even know what ghost play was. Does the ghost player always putt from where I will? If not, once again unless you're in tight a good part of the time it's pretty hard to sink putts even w/ the putting cursor because it is already of low resolution. But thanks I will try the ghost player idea w/ turn order on and the tour that's using XB only and will do better there for sure. Cheers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #486
Rookie

I finished the first two rounds in True Sim Tour's current event. Quite frankly disabling the Scout Cam is just lame IMO. The uber-slow flyover camera still functions, so you can one look at the topography of the hole once in slow motion then it's up to the top-down view which also is enabled. Though I believe no putting marker is tolerable (though far less realistic than playing RL golf since you can see and feel the line so much better), not having the Scout Camera for me just slows the game down. Ultimately it's not a very good sim of RL golf because let's face it you can line yourself up for full shots much much better in the real world than in TGC 2019 w/o having the scout camera enabled where you can at least tell where you're lined up. With all due respect for Matt who got it up and running I feel it's goofy mainly because of the no scout cam in particular. I'm tied for 11th in a small field of 19 (XB1 w/ Master Clubs) or so at the Portugal Masters and I'll continue with it a while but I find it tedious, not having the scout camera so will probably bail on it soon. I am setting up a private society for me and partner to play in, just a 2 person society if it works we'll see today. No grid, but scout cam and putting marker enabled.

What's really amazing is how much activity exists on TGCTours.com. Visiting threads here at operationsports.com would have one believing it's all dying out there and yet TGCT is one of the active and developed forums I've witnessed anywhere.

Last edited by ncp10; 10-24-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #487
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
I finished the first two rounds in True Sim Tour's current event. Quite frankly disabling the Scout Cam is just lame IMO. The uber-slow flyover camera still functions, so you can one look at the topography of the hole once in slow motion then it's up to the top-down view which also is enabled. Though I believe no putting marker is tolerable (though far less realistic than playing RL golf since you can see and feel the line so much better), not having the Scout Camera for me just slows the game down. Ultimately it's not a very good sim of RL golf because let's face it you can line yourself up for full shots much much better in the real world than in TGC 2019 w/o having the scout camera enabled where you can at least tell where you're lined up. With all due respect for Matt who got it up and running I feel it's goofy mainly because of the no scout cam in particular. I'm tied for 11th in a small field of 19 (XB1 w/ Master Clubs) or so at the Portugal Masters and I'll continue with it a while but I find it tedious, not having the scout camera so will probably bail on it soon. I am setting up a private society for me and partner to play in, just a 2 person society if it works we'll see today. No grid, but scout cam and putting marker enabled.

What's really amazing is how much activity exists on TGCTours.com. Visiting threads here at operationsports.com would have one believing it's all dying out there and yet TGCT is one of the active and developed forums I've witnessed anywhere.
Thanks for giving it a go, Noell. I appreciate it.

The issue with Scout Camera on is you'd have guys targeting from 200+ out absolutely perfectly. It'd be completely unrealistic. If you can't stand in the fairway, then walk 200 yards to see your landing spot in real life, then you shouldn't be allowed to do it in the game. Most GPS devices this day and age provide an overhead view, and TGC2019 has actually made it better compared to TGC2 that it made the yardage relative to where your ball was - not just the total markers around the course.

IRL, you don't line yourself up exactly to a rock 200 yards away. If you try to, you're going to use a railroad tracks analogy, or Jack Nicklaus aiming at a point a couple inches in front of you. Not sure why the Scout Camera would bring any sort of realism, other than allowing the user to see an overhead in finer detail.

We've currently got guys shooting in 50's. I think that's more reflective to how easy it is to swing the golf club, and measure yardages. If HB made the swing more difficult, and the % of reaching an exact landing yardage, it'd be so much easier to keep some aides versus remove them.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #488
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Thanks for giving it a go, Noell. I appreciate it.

The issue with Scout Camera on is you'd have guys targeting from 200+ out absolutely perfectly. It'd be completely unrealistic. If you can't stand in the fairway, then walk 200 yards to see your landing spot in real life, then you shouldn't be allowed to do it in the game. Most GPS devices this day and age provide an overhead view, and TGC2019 has actually made it better compared to TGC2 that it made the yardage relative to where your ball was - not just the total markers around the course.

IRL, you don't line yourself up exactly to a rock 200 yards away. If you try to, you're going to use a railroad tracks analogy, or Jack Nicklaus aiming at a point a couple inches in front of you. Not sure why the Scout Camera would bring any sort of realism, other than allowing the user to see an overhead in finer detail.

We've currently got guys shooting in 50's. I think that's more reflective to how easy it is to swing the golf club, and measure yardages. If HB made the swing more difficult, and the % of reaching an exact landing yardage, it'd be so much easier to keep some aides versus remove them.
Matt I totally understand why you did what you did. We're just not those players that never make a swing error and the rest is just experience once you can hit consistent swings 95% of the time. So the game is artificially made more difficult to offset that which I thoroughly get. But in terms of realism, it feels goofy, like being partially blind. You're on the tee and you can hardly see the edge of a bunker or something out in the distance, and even when you can you can't be sure your guy is really lined up where you think he is. Yes, indeed in the RW I line up my chest, shoulders, feet etc to a point 4-6 feet in front of me and I can guarantee I'll be very close to that with a decent swing, whereas I have little confidence with w/ no scout cam in this game. One of those cost me a dunk in the water as I was just plain misaimed by maybe 25y and didn't realize it. Tour players know the landing areas of all their shots, and you have a multitude of tools at your disposal in the real world to line up your shots whereas it's pretty hard to tell how you're lined up in TGC 2019 and the scout camera is just used to offset that weakness and speed up decision making is how I see it.

I guess I'm free to create a society with the following attributes:
  • Xbox Only
  • Master Clubs Only
  • No green grid
  • Putting Marker On (IMO this option averages maybe 2-3 shots a side is all)
  • Scout Cam On
  • And limit handicap from scratch to +10 or something along those lines.

It would be fun to play in this combined 1st & 2nd flight. But I guess there are tons of them already created for similar reasons and the trick is finding others to join in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »