Home

Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright?

This is a discussion on Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binga30
Maybe they should just bring out a PGA tour golf game, no label attached. Just like on Sega Genesis lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I’ve personally always felt that way.

Plus they could actually have DLC golfer packs that come packaged with equipment, golfers and courses… Perhaps ones that are favorites of a particular golfer, both equipment and courses

Honestly at this point they could call it pink umbrella golf…
I really don’t care I just wish they would get back in the mix
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
Yeah, the car crash was all the way back in 2009. As I remember, EA was one of the few company continuing to stick with him for years. That relationship ended after TW14, so probably late 2013.

I always thought it was more that he wasn't dominant anymore with his health issue and he was getting closer to 40. With new generation consoles, EA probably decided to go with a young gun to bring a new generation of gamers. That's how I think we got a battlefield course and all the cool arcade mode and nightclub that just about all of us old folks don't care about.
Yeah, I got that one totally wrong. Looking up, they did begin to add other golfers to voters, or even drop an golfer from the cover for the Masters version, and that may have been what I was picking up on. They were in the process of moving on.

At one point, it really made sense to cut ties, as his public image just kept getting worse. But now, as stuff settles down, I think he is still got a name like Madden, that works year after year, long after he quits playing. Winning this year's Masters really helps that.

But he may have zero interest in EA at this point. And I agree with you guys that an athlete-less cover is the way to go.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #43
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp10
I think a significant part of why EA dropped Rory: too many potential customers wanted something other than a fabulous start of a new golf game--they want unlimited courses, players, features, etc etc etc, right from day one. A few quick views at threads in this very forum by EAS would be enough to get EAS to believe it's pretty impossible please this group of consumers. Nothing but whining and complaining about what's wrong with Rory. If the golf game consumer base had given it a very warm welcome w/ positive constructive feedback they might well have continued with it. The problem is these places become echo chambers after a while and can become destructive to future development, I really believe that.
[edit]
I won't waste your time with more, but there's tons of it right from the very first few threads before people even fully understood the game. And it immediately sets up negative sentiment amongst others who can't see what Rory really was. So why did EAS get out of the golf sim business? You figure it out! When you realize the colossal task it was to make Rory, and get all that they did get very right, right from the start, it strikes me developers have to be willing to please visionless brats that simply can't be pleased, and that has got to be exceedingly difficult. So in the end clearly it was the USERS who killed Rory's future, not EAS.
By this logic, "Madden" would have been dead 10 years ago. No game gets more hate than that one in the forums, yet there it is, year after year. The most likely explanation is that EA has a minimum profit expectation for each title (largely predicated on microtransactions which increasingly means card games), and any titles that don't produce are cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I tried to like Tiger Woods 14, but I couldn't get past my dislike for its only truly functional presentation mode: Follow Cam. I've never been a fan of Follow Cam - in any golf game - since its inception.

For some reason, EA Sports dropped what they'd called the "True-Aim" camera perspective, which had been great in Tiger Woods 12, and even better in Tiger Woods 13. I loved the way the True-Aim camera in Tiger 13 held the golfer's perspective view and then cut to a downrange camera about 90% of the ball's travel.

Tiger 14 offered what was called a "Broadcast Camera" option, but it was absolutely horrible... I really think it was broken as it would cut to a camera angle 40 yards away on a 12 yard chip shot, as soon as the ball was struck, often times at a camera height that you couldn't see the ball - period! That's just one example of the mucked up Broadcast camera work of this game. Rarely was there a cut that made any sense or approached real broadcast quality.

I also never bought into the diagonal swing path required to hit a shot straight using "Simulation" difficulty. It was tough... yes, but it seemed counter-intuitive to me and I just never came to grips with it. I did enjoy the difficulty level just below it (Tour Pro) that that used the conventional vertical swing path target, and had they offered Tiger 13's True-Aim camera quality with 14, I'd probably still be playing it today in Tour Pro difficulty.

I realize I'm in a small minority in my dislike of the follow camera presentation option, but that's just the way I'm wired.
We've been through this at length before, but suffice to say, I agree with everything you said in this post. And I don't at all think you're in the minority with this opinion. Follow-cam is one of the worst things to ever happen to golf games, right up there with "variable length putters" in the early Tiger Woods games, and the ability to spin the ball after it's struck. Come to think of it, EA has done a lot to muck-up golf gaming over the years...don't even get me started on the stupid "lightning" that would strike your character in the original Tiger Woods games when you hit a perfect shot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by binga30
Maybe they should just bring out a PGA tour golf game, no label attached. Just like on Sega Genesis lol
Most definitely. There's no need for cover athletes. Hell, there aren't even really "covers" anymore, since a large percentage of people buy their games via download anyway. And I would imagine that in golf, more than any other sports game, people play as character-created versions of themselves more frequently than not.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:04 AM   #44
MVP

Wish I could agree regarding follow cams, but I can’t.

I love them. Have since they first came out.
I’ve always found it so cool to have that perspective closing in on the target.

The other EA stuff, I agree, super gimmicky, especially if it impacts gameplay and scoring directly.

But the follow cam I totally love. It’s also easy to not use if not desired.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:17 AM   #45
Rookie

binga30's Arena

So, I just looked up Links 2003 on YT, wow, how did I miss this game in my youth?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #46
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
Wish I could agree regarding follow cams, but I can’t.

I love them. Have since they first came out.
I’ve always found it so cool to have that perspective closing in on the target.

The other EA stuff, I agree, super gimmicky, especially if it impacts gameplay and scoring directly.

But the follow cam I totally love. It’s also easy to not use if not desired.
Follow cam is a subjective thing, IMO, and it's hard for me to explain why I don't like it. I think I just like watching the ball make at least 75% of its travel from the golfer's perspective, where I can frame and appreciate the shot better. Follow cam seems to take me out of the moment and put me in a perspective that seems like astral traveling. I can appreciate its technical and production merits, it's just not my thing.

In most games you can opt not use it, but if I recall correctly, in Tiger 14 you either had to use Follow Cam or Broadcast Cam (which IMO was mostly broken in 14). The "True-Aim" camera was a totally dead option. EA Sports admitted it was broken beyond repair in the final stages and opted to abandon it. It's a shame because the True-Aim camera in Tiger 13 was really good.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Follow cam is a subjective thing, IMO, and it's hard for me to explain why I don't like it. I think I just like watching the ball make at least 75% of its travel from the golfer's perspective, where I can frame and appreciate the shot better.

ha! that's actually exactly why I do like the follow cam.

Too often on a big screen far away it's hard for me to actually see the ball well without some silly tracer thing on (which I don't care for).

I'm follow cam all the way. I don't mind a version with an initial delay that catches up mid flight so you can have both angles and benefits, but I do want that to be tweakable, as it's unlikely a developer would ever get that "right" in a way that pleases all people.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #48
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
ha! that's actually exactly why I do like the follow cam.

Too often on a big screen far away it's hard for me to actually see the ball well without some silly tracer thing on (which I don't care for).

I'm follow cam all the way. I don't mind a version with an initial delay that catches up mid flight so you can have both angles and benefits, but I do want that to be tweakable, as it's unlikely a developer would ever get that "right" in a way that pleases all people.
I'm with this....I love the 'True Aim' cam but yeah, unless i have a tracer on the ball (which I don't care for either) I more often lose it in flight, so I'm just watching my avatar hold a pose lol. A hybrid view that's adjustable for when the switch happens to 'follow cam' would be ideal.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »