Home

Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright?

This is a discussion on Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #57
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright?

Agreed. Simple disagreement, all good.

I talk way too much as well. Dangerous to get 2 people like that together in the same (virtual) room.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #58
Rookie

binga30's Arena

OVR: 0

Got bored and fired up Rory PGA Tour yesterday. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. For the most part it's actually not a bad game. It's missing a few courses, but the huge thing that bugs me is the character models and how they mostly swing the same.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #59
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by binga30
Got bored and fired up Rory PGA Tour yesterday. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. For the most part it's actually not a bad game. It's missing a few courses, but the huge thing that bugs me is the character models and how they mostly swing the same.
I totally agree… More content and some patches and it could’ve been a fantastic game
Old 07-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #60
MVP

Another couple months on and really no changes at all to the Golf gaming landscape (not even a TGC 2020 announcement).

What a bummer.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #61
Rookie

binga30's Arena

I half expected Tiger mania to fuel something but here we are. I want to like TGC but it just lacks that final punch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2019, 11:33 PM   #62
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

You know what? We might as well relabel this section "LPGA Golf" and let Tony's teaser links run the show here, and we'll just have a an off-topic thread in it and call it "Computer/Video Golf Games". Seriously, the state of computer and video golf games is very depressing right now!?

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 09-29-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #63
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
You know what? We might as well relabel this section "LPGA Golf" and let Tony's teaser links run the show here, and we'll just have a an off-topic thread in it and call it "Computer/Video Golf Games". Seriously, the state of computer and video golf games is very depressing right now!?
Computer games are doing fine. Sports games are struggling in general relative to the booming 2000s.

I still remain perplexed by EA killing what was a great PS3 generation Tiger game by changing to a new engine on current-gen and getting rid of a pile of features (or probably more accurately not getting around to re-implementing). They just needed to upgrade the graphics a little and keep pumping out the same game with incremental changes. Oh well.

I do keep hoping TGC either re-evaluates (or is pressured) to include 2/3-click swing. Their reluctance to do so remains truly annoying. The game has pretty good bones but mouse/stick swings are just the worst mechanic ever. The future isn’t looking great though. Hot shots with a tougher swing mechanic would be beautiful though...
Old 10-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #64
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Computer games are doing fine. Sports games are struggling in general relative to the booming 2000s.
I think you're on to something here. My own gaming interests have changed pretty drastically over the last five years. I play the early access version of Madden every year, and get tired of it before my 10 hour play time has expired. It's not that it's a bad game, I just don't get that much out of it for reasons I can't explain. Basketball holds up through about 20 games, before I've had all I want, but this year after playing NBA 2K20 once, I wasn't impressed enough with it to pursue it any further.

Now bring college football and basketball into this generation, with the ability to create custom rosters and players, and yes... I'd be back into it for a full season.

Right now I'm like 65% invested in golf games (TGC 2019 (60%) and JNPG (5%), 25% into racing games, and 10% into "others". A lot of that is just me getting older though. If I didn't have a force-feedback steering wheel, I'd probably only play racing games like 5% of the time, if that.

Quote:
I still remain perplexed by EA killing what was a great PS3 generation Tiger game by changing to a new engine on current-gen and getting rid of a pile of features (or probably more accurately not getting around to re-implementing). They just needed to upgrade the graphics a little and keep pumping out the same game with incremental changes. Oh well.
They kept building on their previous base model until they had prime features that wouldn't work on TW 14. They couldn't get the "True Aim" presentation mode to work in it, even though it was listed (and still is to this day) as an option in the game menu. It had a "Broadcast" presentation option that was also broken. It would cut to views that would be underground, below the line of the green, be 50 feet away after the cut on a 6 foot putt... it was a mess. One of the devs finally admitted to me that these were byproducts of them continuing to add new layers onto the old engine, instead of starting over again. My two favorite TW games are 10 and 13. 10 could be customized to a challenging game using the club tuner, but 13 had the best True-Aim camera presentation by a long shot.

Quote:
I do keep hoping TGC either re-evaluates (or is pressured) to include 2/3-click swing. Their reluctance to do so remains truly annoying. The game has pretty good bones but mouse/stick swings are just the worst mechanic ever. The future isn’t looking great though. Hot shots with a tougher swing mechanic would be beautiful though...
I'm sure they'll never go with a click swing mechanic. That's been one area in which they've been resolute on since day one. I strongly prefer the analog stick swing mechanic, but I still think they've got a lot of room for improvement in it with TGC. I think JNPG's stick swing mechanic feels better and is more proportional, but it's tied to a primitive looking, lagging swing animation that makes you have to rely almost soley on feel. I don't feel as engaged with it for some reason.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »