Home

PS3 or PS4 gold game with most courses/best career mode?

This is a discussion on PS3 or PS4 gold game with most courses/best career mode? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
PS3 or PS4 gold game with most courses/best career mode?

Title of the thread gets right to the point. I’m looking to pick up a golf game on PS3 or 4 with the best career mode and most real courses. What should I go with?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
Rookie

binga30's Arena

Re: PS3 or PS4 gold game with most courses/best career mode?

TW PGA 14 has loads of content, RMPGA is okay but not super, TGC2019 has a huge community if you can stomach it.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
Rookie

From the research i was able to do it looks like TW 13 masters edition has the most number of courses that are unlocked, is this considered a good career mode?

Last edited by Jay Cee; 06-05-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Rookie

Also with TGC19 it looks like there are only a few licensed courses but a ton a user created ones. Can I use the user created courses in career mode? Can I edit names of tour pros to make it more realistic?

Just looking for the most authentic experience.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

This is a tough one in my opinion. I own Tiger Woods 13 Masters Edition for PS3, Rory for PS4 and TGC2019 for PC. Lately I have been playing all of them for a golf fix. I can't make up my mind which is the best.

CAREER MODE

TGC2019
-You can edit the CPU golfers. This is time consuming. If the pictures matter to you, you need to edit those too (otherwise Tiger Woods may have a women's picture).
-You can only edit the courses in career mode if you create an online society. I haven't delved into this much so don't know a lot about it.
-You cannot change the courses in the standard career mode. Again, I have only played a few events but there are something like 39 events with 4 "majors".
-The real courses TGC 2019 does have are incorporated in the schedule. The rest are fictional.

Rory and Tiger 13 are both done well with real courses as you would expect.

CAREER MODE WINNER. In my opinion this is Tiger Woods 13.

GRAPHICS. Rory has the best visuals in my opinion (the courses look different and pop, the environment seems alive, the water effects look nice, etc.). TGC 2019 looks nice on my PC in near 4K quality so it is crisp and looks really good but something still feels a little off to me with it visually. Feels "stiff" both with the player models and the environment. Tiger Woods for PS3 is obviously the loser in this category but it isn't unplayable graphically.....it just looks more washed out. The environment feels more alive in TW13 than TGC2019 even in my opinion.

GAMEPLAY. This is the toughest call in my opinion. TGC2019 nails the putting so well. It is by far the best golf application for putting...I wish all future golf games could use TGC2019 putting. Tiger Woods 13 I think has the best overall gameplay however. I like the right stick for "picking" the ball out of the sand/rough. You can control how "good" your golfer is by not upgrading his attributes so you can keep a good challenge. I like that there is an "overpower" area of the backswing (the biggest problem with TGC2019 in my opinion is lack of this). TGC 2019 also has the loft meter for controlling distance and fade/draw and though functional this does not belong in a golf game (it makes TGC2019 a math game instead of a golf game if used that way). The two negatives aside (no overswing risk/reward and the dreaded loft box), TGC does have a nice tempo based swing stick. Rory is the poorest in this area. To me, I can only play Rory with 3-click option as I can't stand the swing stick swing mechanics in this game (but 3 click is done well with this version). So I would rank this Tiger Woods 13 by a slim margin over TGC2019 with Rory in last place.

MISCELLANEOUS:
-Tiger Woods 13 has long load times between holes. This is a big distractor.
-TGC2019 is the fastest "load times" and is the most enjoyable to play if you just want to play golf without "wasted times". I think this is why I tend to play this game the most of the 3. You get to play without "wasting" time waiting for loading or player reactions.
-Rory loads fast but you always have to watch golfer reaction after every shot. It is annoying.
-TGC2019 has TGC Tours for online play which is very nice (or other societies as well).
-TGC2019 has "ghost balls" which I think is a cool feature.
-The real PGA Tour names will be dated for Tiger Woods 13 to some extent (game is 6 years old) and even Rory to some extent.
-The presentation and commentary is probably the best in Rory.
-The golf ball movement feels odd to me in Rory. It is like the ball moves too fast and doesn't roll out at proper speeds.
-TGC 2019 has tons of user made courses. Many feel like real courses and some are made based on real courses (and some with real world Lidar data). Some of these are extremely well done but there are limitations to what to the course creator can do to make it truly authentic.

So to me, they all have strengths and weaknesses. I have a tough time picking which to play as a result. I like Tiger Woods 13 if I want to play career mode. I like TGC2019 for the best combination of gameplay and graphics. I like Rory if I want to enjoy real courses with the best graphics and presentation.

If I could only choose one, I would probably recommend TGC2019.

If you just want a pick up and play career mode and don't care about graphics or online play, or most updated game, then I would recommend Tiger Woods 13.

Last edited by TheBrew101; 06-05-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Pro

I think Tiger Woods 14 Historic Edition has the most courses, 25. It's the best career mode because it has all 4 majors.

Before EA shutdown the store, TW13 Master Edition was a real bargain. You could unlock all the other courses for free with your coins by mastering what was on the disc.

Anyway, TW13 Master Edition is a lot of fun, I like the sponsors challenge in it. You can unlock equipment and clothing right away so you don't have to use the EA beginner stuffs for a long time.

Last edited by bigkev; 06-05-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks for the comments everyone.

So all 4 majors are licensed for TW14?

I did see that 14 has slightly more courses than 13, though TW13 masters edition has Bethpage, which is a big plus for me.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #8
Pro

TW14 has the 3 trophy presentations for the majors and the green jacket for the Master. In TW13, only the green jacket presentation. I think the PGA championship is missing in 13.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »