Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #57
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
Bummed to hear that, but I understand your reasons.

Honestly, I just want them to get back in to keep the genre alive and to see what they might come up with.

To me there's really no downside to it.
If I don't enjoy it - I return to playing PG.

HB/2K efforts so far do zip zilch zero for me.
More power to anyone out there who enjoys their games.

For me an EA game would almost by default be better than the HB stuff simply based upon execution level (and certainly graphics). I'd love to have them competing in this genre, perhaps even pushing HB/2K to go back a bit more towards the original roots and ideology of TGC1.

If they are going to be the flag bearer for PGA Golf, I really hope they get a lot better with the next version and, hopefully, a fully re-tooled next-gen console effort at some point.
I think I should have worded my earlier post differently. I would be excited about - and welcome - ANY new entries into the golf genre, including EA. If we could only get 1 new additional entry into the sport, though, I suppose my preference would be whoever owns the "Links" franchise rights (I think Microsoft?) or someone like that vs EA. I just don't care for (or trust) EA to make a game that accurately represents the sport, and I've been consistently disappointed with their golf product pretty much since they released "PGA Tour Gold" back in the mid-90's (that was the last EA golf game I really liked). But if they wanted to jump back into the genre with a competitive product, of course the more the merrier.

I agree that PGA2K doesn't seem like it is a standard-bearer for the sport. It simply isn't "triple A" enough to warrant being the only golf game (whatever that means...I'm not sure I know myself). I suppose that's a reflection of where golf lives in the landscape of professional sports in the USA, but still...if you look at the standard-bearer for other sport, NBA2k, MLB The Show, even Madden, they all have a polish and sheen and attention to detail that simply doesn't exist in a current golf sim. Not sure we'll ever get there, but I am in agreement with you that another big company entry into the genre would definitely be a good thing.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I think I should have worded my earlier post differently. I would be excited about - and welcome - ANY new entries into the golf genre, including EA. If we could only get 1 new additional entry into the sport, though, I suppose my preference would be whoever owns the "Links" franchise rights (I think Microsoft?) or someone like that vs EA. I just don't care for (or trust) EA to make a game that accurately represents the sport, and I've been consistently disappointed with their golf product pretty much since they released "PGA Tour Gold" back in the mid-90's (that was the last EA golf game I really liked). But if they wanted to jump back into the genre with a competitive product, of course the more the merrier.

I agree that PGA2K doesn't seem like it is a standard-bearer for the sport. It simply isn't "triple A" enough to warrant being the only golf game (whatever that means...I'm not sure I know myself). I suppose that's a reflection of where golf lives in the landscape of professional sports in the USA, but still...if you look at the standard-bearer for other sport, NBA2k, MLB The Show, even Madden, they all have a polish and sheen and attention to detail that simply doesn't exist in a current golf sim. Not sure we'll ever get there, but I am in agreement with you that another big company entry into the genre would definitely be a good thing.
I'm pretty sure that 2K Games actually bought the Links franchise from Microsoft back in the day, so I'd say your chances of a future Links style game are slim to none, and slim just left town.

EDIT: Looks like Microsoft sold the Devs behind Links (Indie Built, aka Access Software) to Take 2 in 2004, so in a roundabout way, it's owned by 2K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_(series)

Last edited by grahamc; 02-03-2021 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Addition of detail
Old 02-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #59
MVP

donkey33's Arena

OVR: 10

I never played Links. Can someone briefly describe what was so good about it?

and are we talking about PC or the Xbox 2004 version?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #60
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OVR: 1

I have a PS3 with low milage with the TW14 DLC courses except for the six historical courses. I say low milage because my original PS3 fatty croaked (disc reading ability) and I copied all my data to the new one and all of the DLC courses were still there and playable.

I also have a USB drive copy of all that data and the TW14 game disc.

I wouldn't mind parting with this but I'm worried that my Playstation account credentials are on the drive and I could be an 'identity theft' victim if you will.

Is there a way to delete my Playstation account credentials without compromising the ability to use the DLC courses in the event I sell?
Old 02-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #61
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey33
I never played Links. Can someone briefly describe what was so good about it?

and are we talking about PC or the Xbox 2004 version?
I was a big fan of both the PC version (going all the way back to its original incarnation as "Leaderboard Golf" on the Commodore64) and the XBox 2004 version. With regard to the PC titles, I think it was just simply the most realistic golf sim out there, and the first sports game that really knocked my socks off in terms of visual appeal. And the swing interface became a de facto standard in the genre, so it was sort of a standard bearer (using that term a lot in this thread for some reason...) for golf games for a really long time.

The XBox version was great in my opinion because the swing interface was the best console golf swing interface I have ever used. It was smooth, more-or-less realtime (if memory serves), and pretty intuitive - in other words, I understood why shots reacted the way they did when I hit them. And it was real golf - no lightning bolts, applying spin after-the-fact, battleships on the course, etc. etc. etc. It took the sport seriously and trusted people to embrace it. Which, I suppose in retrospect, may be a reason the product crashed and burned....

But both are still highly playable today. With the exception of the oh-so-irritating letterboxed zoom-in when you hit an approach close, Links on Xbox was about as good as golf on consoles got in that generation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2021, 04:32 AM   #62
MVP

donkey33's Arena

OVR: 10

Thanks mate.

I've still got my old Xbox so going to go about tracking down a copy of Links 2004 and have a play around.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #63
Rookie

NeetoCheetoII's Arena

OVR: 0

Can you still get the 1.09 update on PS4 from PSN ?
Old 05-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #64
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeetoCheetoII
Can you still get the 1.09 update on PS4 from PSN ?
As far as I know, all updates for the game are still available and automatically download when you boot the game. I just resumed playing the game after many years a month or so ago, and it downloaded all the updates (as far as I could tell).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »