Home

PGA TOUR/TGC 2019 esport golf event today

This is a discussion on PGA TOUR/TGC 2019 esport golf event today within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
PGA TOUR/TGC 2019 esport golf event today

From The Golf Club 2019's official Twitter page:

Tune in tomorrow as @PGATOUR stars @collin_morikawa and @carlosortizGolf throw down in #TGC2019! The virtual challenge will air tomorrow at 12pm ET / 9am PT on PGA TOUR digital platforms, including https://bit.ly/2S10c3M, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and GOLFTV.

https://twitter.com/thegolfclubgame/...35905754861568

I think I'll start with YouTube and if that doesn't work, back to Twitter. GOLFTV isn't available in the USA yet, according to their web page. This will be worth a look-see though. I'd actually only heard the names of both golfers mentioned before, but would not have been able to look at their picture and tell you who it was.

I'm curious to see how they handle the asynchronous mode lag in a live broadcast. It's going to confuse viewers when they hear a reaction from the golfers to something that is going to show up on their screens at least 5 seconds later... I'm sure the network broadcast lag will add more delay, but it will probably delay the audio and the animation.

The biggest surprise to me is that they aren't playing it on one of the officially licensed PGA TOUR courses; they're playing it at Tauno Palo's brilliant rendition of TPC Louisiana (TPC Louisiana TOUR FIXED). I guess they're trying to follow NASCAR's lead and go with the site where the IRL event would have been for this week.

I wish them the best with this though and hope it goes well. I don't know how they could ever pull anything off with this game on as massive a scale as eNASCAR with iRacing. The game's just not built to support a full broadcast environment with multiple players in action all over the course. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that this goes well!

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 04-23-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Re: PGA TOUR/TGC 2019 esport golf event today

Meh... this was mostly disappointing. The game window was a mini-window shown in 360p at best. Neither Collin or Carlos had been playing the game long enough to understand what was happening with it, and certainly not the counterintuitive way in which tempo affects the shot result in this game's swing mechanic.

The host had them discussing food, cooking, and binge watching TV more than the game. She also didn't do a good job as a broadcast host/announcer. She's a reporter and clearly didn't have any background in a format like this. I don't think the PGA TOUR, nor TGC 2019 was helped very much by this. It's a start though, so maybe they'll improve with time.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Thank you for watching for the rest of us & reporting back.
You'd have to pay me a lot of real actual money to watch this kind of nonsense.

I know people like JohnEric insist there's some big new thing coming based upon his "inside source" (major eye roll) -- Color me awfully skeptical.

I doubt he has an "inside source" that simultaneously doesn't want him sharing details, but is also "ok' with him talking about having an inside source saying that things are in the works behind the scenes.

Someone should pin him down to a date or some details, because I think he's just blowing smoke to rile people up and cause a stir. Par for the course with him.

Last edited by scagwi; 04-23-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

I had it on the background today, too. It was very "meh". I chalk that up to all the folks involved just not being experienced in hosting or participating in live streaming broadcasts.

I did find it interesting that a non-licensed, user-created version of a real TPC course was used in this official PGA Tour sanctioned event...especially considering the copyright and naming issues TGC 2019 has had with Augusta and the use of the course name "Magnolia National". Not to mention the fact that HB Studios has the rights to several other TPC courses.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
Thank you for watching for the rest of us & reporting back.
You'd have to pay me a lot of real actual money to watch this kind of nonsense.
Being the fanboy that I am, I just couldn't resist. I wasn't expecting a lot, but this came in well under my already tempered hopes for it. No one involved with it knew diddly squat about the game, and then to constantly rattle on with annoying prattle about inane topics just grated on the nerves!

Quote:
I know people like JohnEric insist there's some big new thing coming based upon his "inside source" (major eye roll) -- Color me awfully skeptical.

I doubt he has an "inside source" that simultaneously doesn't want him sharing details, but is also "ok' with him talking about having an inside source saying that things are in the works behind the scenes.

Someone should pin him down to a date or some details, because I think he's just blowing smoke to rile people up and cause a stir. Par for the course with him.
I don't know where he's coming from... it sounds like he's trying to be more of an instigator than anything else. I still don't know what they've got in mind that falls under the umbrella of "some content". I can't read HB Studios at all anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
I had it on the background today, too. It was very "meh". I chalk that up to all the folks involved just not being experienced in hosting or participating in live streaming broadcasts.
As much as the kinder part of me would like to give them a pass...

What sort of amateur hour is this?

The amount of people one can find with experience in live streaming broadcasts is fairly immense. One would think a game studio trying to showcase their game and their PGA license with actual Pro golfers would have put even a modicum of energy into making it a respectable, HQ, polished presentation.

I guess I'm just not in the camp of giving HB any passes - at all - on anything, with how the company and its product support & communication has devolved over the past years.

They have totally burned up all goodwill from the TGC1 days - at least in my opinion.

They've gone from plucky communicative and responsive upstart to the worst tendencies and behaviors of the "big studios". No communication, censoring forum posts and course names, a few updates for a few months after a game release and then 1-2 years (or more - we'll see) of selling the same untouched game...on and on.

Last edited by scagwi; 04-23-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Banned

Hi everyone, where I can find this game? I cannot open it and play it!
Old 07-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcLean
Hi everyone, where I can find this game? I cannot open it and play it!
Where can you find TGC 2019? It's in the Microsoft Store, Playstation Store, and Steam, the last I looked. You can order disc versions for the consoles from Amazon.com.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »