Home

Tiger Woods 2012 - emulation with RPCS3

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods 2012 - emulation with RPCS3 within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Tiger Woods 2012 - emulation with RPCS3

Video link: https://youtu.be/LYb91irbWH0

This video was made back in August 2019 and obviously the frames per second is not where we would want it to be yet…

That said - have a look at some of the gameplay for a preview of what we may be able to enjoy at some point.

The game looks bloody gorgeous in 4K and of course has all the amazing Tiger Woods game career mode and content. TW14 in 4K (or really anything above normal PS3 Rez) is a dream of mine.

It is totally brutal that licensing seems to prohibit them from bringing this on to modern consoles with upscaling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
Rookie

binga30's Arena

Re: Tiger Woods 2012 - emulation with RPCS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi

This video was made back in August 2019 and obviously the frames per second is not where we would want it to be yet…

That said - have a look at some of the gameplay for a preview of what we may be able to enjoy at some point.

The game looks bloody gorgeous in 4K and of course has all the amazing Tiger Woods game career mode and content. TW14 in 4K (or really anything above normal PS3 Rez) is a dream of mine.

It is totally brutal that licensing seems to prohibit them from bringing this on to modern consoles with upscaling.
Just built a new PC with hopes of playing RPCS3. I have a few games running and TW is next on the list to try although not stated as playable on their git site.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
MVP

@binga30

Yeah, I can verify that 2012/2014 aren't up to snuff on emulation yet as I have them both in my rpcs3 library for testing over time.

I'd normally be discouraged about it, but it wasn't so long ago that the EA NHL games were unplayably poor in rpcs3 also --- and now I play NHL Legacy Edition every night, butter smooth, 60fps locked with massive upscaling - Gorgeous!!

Hopefully over time the TW stuff will get there.

I should add that you don't need much GPU (at all) for PS3 emulation. I am only on an RX 570 right now and it works wonderfully since PS3 was so CPU bound. (my cpu is an i7-8700, true 6 core - cores are what matter on rpcs3)
Old 04-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #4
Rookie

binga30's Arena

Quote:
@binga30

Yeah, I can verify that 2012/2014 aren't up to snuff on emulation yet as I have them both in my rpcs3 library for testing over time.

I'd normally be discouraged about it, but it wasn't so long ago that the EA NHL games were unplayably poor in rpcs3 also --- and now I play NHL Legacy Edition every night, butter smooth, 60fps locked with massive upscaling - Gorgeous!!

Hopefully over time the TW stuff will get there.

I should add that you don't need much GPU (at all) for PS3 emulation. I am only on an RX 570 right now and it works wonderfully since PS3 was so CPU bound. (my cpu is an i7-8700, true 6 core - cores are what matter on rpcs3)
That's positive to note. Rx 580 and Ryzen 5 3600 here. I've mainly dabbled in pcsx2 for my Tiger fix. PS2 games in HD are glorious but man if we ever get TW14 working who needs a new golf game

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by binga30
...but man if we ever get TW14 working who needs a new golf game
It’s really pretty true, you are right. Haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #6
MVP

donkey33's Arena

OVR: 10

Oh yes, this is great news. I ripped my TW 2014 disc but it just doesn't boot at all so still a ways to go.

If we ever get 14 working, I'll be set. By the time that's ready reckon I'll put my current 3700x into a HTPC for some lounge play and enjoy this and CH 2K8 in 4k glory.

I noticed that every time I fire up RPCS3 that there is usually an update so they're definitely working on it regularly. Who knows when it'll pop up as working.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

Wow... that video looked great! I was able to run it at 2160p on my gaming PC. It seemed to stay between 14 and 15 FPS, which I would find unplayable. I also think follow-cam isn't served well by sub 30 frame rates; it calls attention to the stuttering much more so than the golfer perspective oriented True-Aim camera. I recognize that this was not touted as a completed project, so I'd imagine we see something at least 30 FPS+ before it would be statused as "complete".
Old 04-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Wow... that video looked great! I was able to run it at 2160p on my gaming PC. It seemed to stay between 14 and 15 FPS, which I would find unplayable. I also think follow-cam isn't served well by sub 30 frame rates; it calls attention to the stuttering much more so than the golfer perspective oriented True-Aim camera. I recognize that this was not touted as a completed project, so I'd imagine we see something at least 30 FPS+ before it would be statused as "complete".
I think it will get there..

NHL was a low FPS stutter/lag fest in videos in the past also

Last edited by scagwi; 04-25-2020 at 03:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »