Home

PGA TOUR 2K21 Q&A (Reddit)

This is a discussion on PGA TOUR 2K21 Q&A (Reddit) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #17
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PGA TOUR 2K21 Q&A (Reddit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
This is so true

Regardless of how one may feel about the overall PG package (I fully admit it's missing a lot), it's hard to deny what a great controller swing implementation they cooked up.
I wish HB Studios could import Perfect Golfs swing input monitoring and put it into practice in their game. It's something about how the stick's movement is being read, but somehow, Perfect Golf's is easier to achieve a 95% swing in. I have to throw a condition in there though, I can't gauge the swing power in Perfect Golf by the golfer animation, I have to go by the feel of the travel of the stick to pull it off. Still, it works!

When I do rarely pull off a 95% swing in TGC 2019, I feel like both the stick and the golfer animation has only moved about 55 to 60%. I play with a few guys who can pull it off with regularity in TGC 2019, but they're cyborgs! It's just way to touchy for mere mortals...
Old 05-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I can't gauge the swing power in Perfect Golf by the golfer animation, I have to go by the feel of the travel of the stick to pull it off. Still, it works!
Oh there's no question - the animation and avatar overall in PG are atrocious (and has a delay).

The only silver lining is that I'm still able to hit great shots, totally blind, by feel when I'm in the bushes and can't see the avatar. lol

Last edited by scagwi; 05-29-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
The only silver lining is that I'm still able to hit great shots, totally blind, by feel when I'm in the bushes and can't see the avatar. lol
Been there... done that more times than I can count!
Old 05-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Been there... done that more times than I can count!
It still chaps me that the ability to make the avatar "invisible" went away (many moons ago) and never came back. It's amazing how often "hacker harry" is in the way of seeing the shot outcome on the green.

Last edited by scagwi; 05-29-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
I just know this, the fact that I'm able to regulate partial swings with a much higher degree of reliability in Perfect Golf, where lofting is limited to about 2%, if that, feels more natural to me in getting those in between distances.... it just feels more intuitive.
If I understand what you're saying I don't see the higher range of effects being as much of an issue and that because in RL golf it's very tough to set up correctly (essentially w/ perpendicular to the slope plane w/ some adjustment for angle of attack desired) mainly due to gravity and our ability to cope with it when on severely sloped lies trying to make a good swing.

I fully concur w/ the notion of having swing length the downswing speed play the main roles in a swing mechanism, i.e. try to mimic the physics of a RL golf swing and translate that to a controller or mouse. I'm not familiar w/ TW series after 2004 but their implementation of mouse TruSwing in 2004 I thought was fabulous and intuitive as you say. You could do a push/pull, or a side-to-side motion, and the position of the mouse relative to those motions would affect face orientation etc. There are people who seem to desire 3-click, which is about as counter RL golf swing as you can get, so in this regard I'm super grateful we have what we have in TGC2019 because if it were 3-click, I'd never have installed the game.

I've adapted to the more tempo-based swing, and while it's definitely not ideal at all it still does what matters the most to us: 1, shot outcomes are variable enough to mimic the uncertainty you get in RLG--we feel great when a long putt drops, get miffed when we thought we hit a good shot but misestimated something in the setup, or did the fast downswing at the wrong time and screwed up the shot; and 2, scores are right where we would like them to be which is right at realistic tour player scores. I shot 62 at a course on Tuesday, and for round 2 in that event proceeded to shoot 70 on the same course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
Pro

Like some of those changes, specially getting rid of the set of clubs. I know that I'm not a day 1 purchaser but will eventually buy it to encourage them to make a new game down the road. Let's see if that dreadful power fade is still in the game.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #23
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp10
If I understand what you're saying I don't see the higher range of effects being as much of an issue and that because in RL golf it's very tough to set up correctly (essentially w/ perpendicular to the slope plane w/ some adjustment for angle of attack desired) mainly due to gravity and our ability to cope with it when on severely sloped lies trying to make a good swing.
In real life, I can't take a 2-iron and loft it up to the point where I'll change the shot trajectory enough to knock 12 yards off the shot. I reduce my backswing to get the desired distance. I get tired of hitting every "normal" shot with a 100% swing, which has been lofted or de-lofted to yield the desired distance. It takes an intuitive element out of the game. I know it can be done because I can do it with a satisfying and realistic level of performance in Perfect Golf.

Quote:
I've adapted to the more tempo-based swing, and while it's definitely not ideal at all it still does what matters the most to us: 1, shot outcomes are variable enough to mimic the uncertainty you get in RLG-
The tempo based swing adds another dimension to the swing control that makes it harder to master. I think their modeling is counter-intuitive with it though. If they had tempo affect "Push/Pull & carry" instead of "Fade/Draw & carry", it would make more sense, in terms of physics. The Swing Path should affect fade/draw, slice/hook, but they've got it bass ackwards in their model. I've adapted to it, but I have to put my golf instincts in a bowl when I play the game in order to cope with it.

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 05-31-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #24
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
Like some of those changes, specially getting rid of the set of clubs. I know that I'm not a day 1 purchaser but will eventually buy it to encourage them to make a new game down the road. Let's see if that dreadful power fade is still in the game.
bigkev, I hate to say this, but I don't think you're going to get a lot of your questions answered until launch day, and gamers who share your interests (including me) report on what the game *feels* like under the hood. As I've said before here, I'm a golf game addict and simply can't help myself... I've already pre-ordered it! On a positive note, I guess I'm not a full-fledged fanboy because I went with the standard edition

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 05-30-2020 at 11:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »