Home

PGA Tour 2K21 Course List

This is a discussion on PGA Tour 2K21 Course List within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #25
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: PGA Tour 2K21 Course List Rolling Out Tomorrow

I think the group of us on here fits into the happy middle ground of potential customers for this game:

- Have played previous golf games, including TGCs 1, 2, and/or 2019
- Want a robust-enough single player experience to go along with online options
- Enjoy quality graphics, but also understand that gameplay is king
- Look for realism, in terms of real courses, pros, tournaments, gear, etc.
- Might dabble in the "fringe" (pun intended) elements of the game (course designer, for example), but are more concerned with the nuts and bolts of how the game plays

We fall in between the extremes of the "I must shoot in the low- to mid-50s every round, and want to use the power boost and spin button" side, and the "I use no aids, no green grid, no wind direction guide, I only use Master clubs, and anything less than that is too arcade-y" crowd. And I have no issue with either of these extremes...play the game the way you want to!

Now, here is my question...who is their marketing targeting at this point? And to that, my answer would be no one.

They aren't showing anything to the hardcore sim players (there's no gameplay footage, aside from that edited IGN video which was at the easiest difficulty level, clearly), the occasional causal players (aside from catchphrases, kangaroos, and wild apparel options, nothing seems "fun"), or us in the middle (career mode and course designer details are scant at best, they keep re-announcing the same info over and over again, like these courses, etc.).

It's truly mind-boggling.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 07-17-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
I think the group of us on here fits into the happy middle ground of potential customers for this game:

- Might dabble in the "fringe" (pun intended) elements of the game (course designer, for example), but are more concerned with the nuts and bolts of how the game plays

We fall in between the extremes of the "I must shoot in the low- to mid-50s every round, and want to use the power boost and spin button" side, and the "I use no aids, no green grid, no wind direction guide, I only use Master clubs, and anything less than that is too arcade-y" crowd. And I have no issue with either of these extremes...play the game the way you want to!

Now, here is my question...who is their marketing targeting at this point? And to that, my answer would be no one.

They aren't showing anything to the hardcore sim players (there's no gameplay footage, aside from that edited IGN video which was at the easiest difficulty level, clearly), the occasional causal players (aside from catchphrases, kangaroos, and wild apparel options, nothing seems "fun"), or us in the middle (career mode and course designer details are scant at best, they keep re-announcing the same info over and over again, like these courses, etc.).

A wonderful breakdown..

They are seemingly angling to be the classic "jack of all trades, master of none"

Since I like competition and to have some golf games actually being developed, I'm actually a little worried that they might be heading straight for the "final version" of this game with how poorly it appears to be targeted and optimized to hit a specific audience.

I don't think they should have put "21" in the title either. As we've all banged on about...golf games shouldn't be throwing a year in there to date themselves as they absolutely shouldn't be released on any particular timeline.

Last edited by scagwi; 07-17-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #27
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach

I'm on the old side like 68 old. I play with Master clubs and can get around most courses well under par nothing crazy high 67 or so a couple strokes either way. High winds a bit harder of course. Game is pretty balanced for me. No chipping or flops on the greens no chipping out of bunkers. I don't want to shoot crazy low but I don't want to shoot over 80 either.

This is the only game being produced at this time and I am thankful for that. Course list means little to me it is the user created courses that fill out the game. So as long as the new version plays somewhat like 19 I'm OK with that. Not too crazy about the commentators though.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #28
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

I can't figure out who they're targeting so far with marketing myself. I'm not a marketing major, but this is one of the crappiest marketing campaigns I've seen in a decade. Yet somehow, they still manage to always get a couple of "can't wait to play this!" comments to their tweets about it. This course unveiling fiasco they're in the midst of right now is like watching teeth get pulled. With the exception of maybe one more course, we know and have known for some time what they are. To then go on and tack on a poor quality, lo-res video clip that lasts all of 15 seconds is like rubbing the courses face in the mud!

I'm sure I'm the exception here, but for some reason I'm getting a feeling that this game is going to play better than TGC 2019... I just have a hunch its swing is going to be more tailorable and even more proportional. It probably won't be as fully analogous to a real swing as it could be, as I still suspect that tempo is going to be the chief determinant for hook/slice. On the other hand, I think the ability to more scaleably execute partial shots is going to to be there.

The problem is, I don't see anything this marketing team has done so far to suggest to me that they will be able to communicate this adequately to the gaming public, if my suspicions are true. The way to reach golf gamers like us is to have one of the devs/Shaun, play a streaming live multiplayer match with a noted TGC You Tuber who doesn't have a muzzle on. Somebody like Respawn, JimGem, gdog, or Early 1981, are all examples of TGC gamers who do a good job with streaming and video production, who could get this job done.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #29
Rookie

binga30's Arena

The only place I'm seeing news for this game is here, nothing on my social feeds. That tells me their marketing has gone down, or popularity/anticipation has died down, or both. Compared to the game announce there's been very little buzz since then.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #30
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
I'm on the old side like 68 old. I play with Master clubs and can get around most courses well under par nothing crazy high 67 or so a couple strokes either way. High winds a bit harder of course. Game is pretty balanced for me. No chipping or flops on the greens no chipping out of bunkers. I don't want to shoot crazy low but I don't want to shoot over 80 either.

This is the only game being produced at this time and I am thankful for that. Course list means little to me it is the user created courses that fill out the game. So as long as the new version plays somewhat like 19 I'm OK with that. Not too crazy about the commentators though.
You sound a good bit like me LPD. I'm 65, mostly play with Master clubs, and probably average around 68 or 69. I've progressively gotten worse at the game over the last year, but somehow enjoy it more. My biggest problem is tempo control. I get I only get "perfect/perfect" tempo maybe 15 to 20% of the time. I miss a lot of fairways and greens as a result.

Back it up to Pro clubs, and I'm probably on tempo 40 to 45% of the time and wind up averaging maybe three or four strokes per round less. Problem is that Pro clubs just kind of feel neutered to me. I like the dynamics of playing with Master clubs so much more.

I'm expecting 2K21 to play a bit harder, at its most difficult settings and clubs, but I'm looking forward to that challenge, as long as it doesn't feel like a contrived challenge.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #31
All Star

OVR: 13

I'm sort of a US Open video golfer (really wish I was a US Open golfer in real life LOL ): I like it to be challenging to shoot par on a course, and to go under par, you should have to play really well. I feel like -2 or -3 per round is good if you're playing really well, but there should also be course-to-course variability. I don't mind the occasional fast track that lets guys go low, but in my opinion (and I can't stress enough that it's just my stupid opinion and nothing more), par for the course should be the median 50th percentile round.

I used to think a game should reflect how I play in real life and that the scores should be around what I shoot in reality, but usually in a golf game the only way to make that happen is by neutering the distance you can hit the ball, to the extent that your drives go 220 yards or something (which is endlessly frustrating since I can hit it significantly longer than that in real life). What golf games never seem to be able to get right is accurately reflecting the shot dispersion or quality of strike on any given swing, which makes it so that you never really miss your line by a significant or impactful margin (whereas in real life, on any given driver swing, there's a non-zero chance the ball ends up in the parking lot). That's really what causes your scores to add up, it's usually not that you aren't hitting the ball far enough.

Anyway, it seems there's no point in waiting for more information about the game pre-release at this point. When the actual game comes out, I'll be interested to see/read about it. That seems to be about the best we're gonna do at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by binga30
The only place I'm seeing news for this game is here, nothing on my social feeds. That tells me their marketing has gone down, or popularity/anticipation has died down, or both. Compared to the game announce there's been very little buzz since then.
Just wait to see how buried it gets in their launch window given the other games releasing and the other real sports getting going (and/or underway)

They could have had this time right now exclusively to themselves.

Blew it. Should have released it and gotten PGA courses out over the months ahead if they needed more time on that part.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »