Home

An honest question - 2k21 or TW14

This is a discussion on An honest question - 2k21 or TW14 within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #25
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: An honest question - 2k21 or TW14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
Since they removed Solo Societies, HB needed to nail the single player experience in career mode. Sadly, they missed the mark in the area that matters most - tournament results/AI scoring.

Sure, they added a more robust sponsor system, real clubs, more real clothes, customized settings, etc. But none of that matters when leaderboards are inconsistent, and the winner of the event shown during your round isn't the same as the one shown on the leaderboard in the post-event menu.

In my opinion, even though it's not an "official" part of the game, I feel that HB just relies on TGC Tours to act as the "career mode" for this game. Sure, they did put some window dressing on career mode in the game, but not having correct AI scoring defeats all that.
You've just put the fire out on any desire I may have eventually built towards wanting to play career mode in this game. I can't believe the extent to which its career mode is broken!? With the removal of the Solo Society option, how can they not get this right? This should be an embarrassment to them... something they should desperately be trying to patch, but I sadly get the sense they're not

I'm heavily involved in four different societies right now, and thankfully, that part of the game is working fairly well. I also play a little matchmaking now on the PC version, and the nine hole 1v1 match play and 2v2 9 hole alt-shot competitions are working fairly well right now. I stick to the PC version for 2V2 matches because the XBox One base tends to bail on the match when they get on the tee and see that they didn't get the pairing they were after. Still, skins and scramble play are pretty much broken in private matchmaking, and here again, I suspect they're never going to fix it.... (sigh)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #26
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
You've just put the fire out on any desire I may have eventually built towards wanting to play career mode in this game. I can't believe the extent to which its career mode is broken!? With the removal of the Solo Society option, how can they not get this right? This should be an embarrassment to them... something they should desperately be trying to patch, but I sadly get the sense they're not
To HB's credit, they did add some interesting ideas and polish to career mode. The presentation is good, sponsor goals with unlockable gear is a nice add, the real tournaments are shown just like they would be in real life with on-course details highlighted (like the Snake Pit statue at the Copperhead Course, for example), a money list is included, as is fairly deep stat tracking, etc.

But the fact that the leaderboards are so glitchy means you cannot play more than a 1- or 2-round event. In a 3- or 4-round event, AI scores will either be way too low or too high depending on your skill level settings, cut lines will be all over the place, leaderboard positions will change for no apparent reason between rounds, and, of course, there's the phantom tourney winner issue I mentioned before. Also, the game absolutely wastes the licenses of individual pros - I turned off the terribly annoying and inaccurate highlight cutscenes in the week the game was released. With those off, the only role they have is on the leaderboard and as "rivals", which is just another silly way to unlock gear.

If you're OK with all events having no more than 2 rounds, and want to unlock the clubs and clothes hidden behind sponsorships and rivalries, career mode has it's moments. But if you're looking for a realistic representation of the PGA Tour, complete with 4-round events, fully functioning leaderboards, and total immersion, it's not worth it.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 0

How is it that none of the golf games to date have done a "play alongside the pros" real time live leaderboard/tournament thing that syncs up with what the real pros are doing in a given week?

seems so freaking fun!
Old 10-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #28
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

I understand the criticism from you guys that care about career and all that really. Since I only play solo rounds and on occasion with a ghost the game is fine with me. I would like to see EA give it another go same as everyone else.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:29 AM   #29
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
How is it that none of the golf games to date have done a "play alongside the pros" real time live leaderboard/tournament thing that syncs up with what the real pros are doing in a given week?

seems so freaking fun!
It was actually done in the Tiger Woods series with the "Play the Pros" mode...this is a press release for TW TWELVE:

https://www.ea.com/en-au/news/tiger-...ve-tournaments

"Play the Pros.

Just like the 2011 Masters, real PGA TOUR events will be available for you to play. The leaderboards will be the same as real life and are updated in real time as the event is being played."

Crazy how we are NINE years removed from TW12, and features in that game are nowhere to be seen in today's releases.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 10-30-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 21

I am a casual golf fan and player. I will tell you this, if there was a game that allowed you to play alongside the pros, whoever you are paired with in a tourney, I would buy the game in a minute.

To actually make your shot and then watch the pro make his for 18 holes would be awesome. Yes, rounds would take longer but the immersion effect, coupled with a real leader board, would be incredible. Much better than ghost players or playing solo rounds.

C
Old 10-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I am a casual golf fan and player. I will tell you this, if there was a game that allowed you to play alongside the pros, whoever you are paired with in a tourney, I would buy the game in a minute.

To actually make your shot and then watch the pro make his for 18 holes would be awesome. Yes, rounds would take longer but the immersion effect, coupled with a real leader board, would be incredible. Much better than ghost players or playing solo rounds.

C
And you'd think the PGA would be ALL about having their license used in this way since it would naturally make you much more in tune with the real game and what's happening each week, etc

Conversely, one wonders what the PGA thinks of how their license is being used in 2k21, particularly when they are having trouble correctly displaying "who won" (among other issues)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
And you'd think the PGA would be ALL about having their license used in this way since it would naturally make you much more in tune with the real game and what's happening each week, etc

Conversely, one wonders what the PGA thinks of how their license is being used in 2k21, particularly when they are having trouble correctly displaying "who won" (among other issues)

I can tell you that they probably do not care.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »