Home

An honest question - 2k21 or TW14

This is a discussion on An honest question - 2k21 or TW14 within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 10-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
An honest question - 2k21 or TW14

This is a bit hypothetical, so please keep that in mind...I realize the following choice doesn't exactly exist in this precise way.

Suppose you could have a version of TW14 that was "re-mastered" in terms of graphics and brought up to spec with a reasonably good look for the PS4/XB1 generation (and was of course playable on those consoles also and was going to be included in backwards compatibility for PS5/newXB)..

Would you prefer that game or PGA 2k21 and why?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: An honest question - 2k21 or TW14

I would take TW14 over PGA 2K21 in a heartbeat, to be honest.

The biggest reasons for this would be the higher total of real courses (especially official Augusta and The Masters), all the licensed majors, the Legends of the Majors mode, the ability to play as real pros, and lots more club/apparel/ball/gear options for your create-a-player.

The biggest thing missing from TW14 that 2K21 has is the course designer. I would miss that greatly.

I still think PGA 2K21 is one of the best golf games ever released, but TW14 IS the best in my eyes. A re-mastered version of that would be amazing.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
Rookie

TW14 by a landslide. For me the deciding factor is simply being able to play as real PGA Pros. I will never understand the logic behind having PGA Pros in 2K21, however, they're not playable. Huge miss and the reason this game doesn't have the buzz with a wider audience in my opinion. Gameplay in 2K21 is quite good though.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:45 AM   #4
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

I should have added to my comment:

I'd take UN-remastered TW14 over PGA 2K21 right now, no question. There's more to do, aside from the create a course, in the Tiger game. And more actual, real-life golf courses and events I care about. I'm about to fire up TW14 right now...and have zero desire at the moment to play 2K21. Thanks, pumpkin heads.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
I should have added to my comment:

I'd take UN-remastered TW14 over PGA 2K21 right now, no question. There's more to do, aside from the create a course, in the Tiger game. And more actual, real-life golf courses and events I care about. I'm about to fire up TW14 right now...and have zero desire at the moment to play 2K21. Thanks, pumpkin heads.

I haven't bought PGA2k21 and I'm no hurry to buy it. I'm just following the comedy of what's going on over there, and no regret. Un-remastered TW14, it has been for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
Pro

You guys have good points about the re-mastering or not..

I admittedly added that just to juice the comparison a bit so that a person isn't feeling compelled to pick solely on newer graphics.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

I almost hate to weigh in on this because my reason for giving the nod to 2K21 really has nothing to do with the core game play of Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14. Buck, I know this is going to sound like a broken record to you, but I quit playing TW 14 early on because I don't like Follow Cam presentation, and that's the only presentation mode in the game that worked like it was supposed to. The Broadcast mode was broken to the point it was comically bad, and the True-Aim presentation mode (my favorite in TW 12 & 13) was an unselectable option in the settings menu, which I think they eventually removed from the list. Mike DeVault, the game's producer, told me it would have broken the game to enable it.

I also must add that I didn't like one of the optional features that many seemed to like about TW 14, and that was the diagonal swing interface used in the "Simulation" difficulty setting. I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that I almost had to track a 45 degree angle to hit a shot that had a slight draw in it... seemed like thumbstick gymnastics to me, but I admit I'm wired different than most people.

Having said that I didn't like the diagonal stick motion requirement of Simulation difficulty, I found sufficient challenge in what I think they called the Tour-Pro difficulty level, where you had to track the vertical axis, so that rendered my objection to the diagonal swing moot.

I liked the connected tournaments TW 14 had as it made it feel more like a live event was unfolding around you in real time, independent of anything you'd done. The Country Club events felt really good because of this, but in the end, I just couldn't overcome my need for a True-Aim (TW 12/13) or Snap to View (Perfect Golf, PGA TOUR 2K21) presentation option.

Finally, what I'm really getting into on 2K21 is the feeling of executing a shot with perfect or near perfect tempo, and the way it's translated to your senses via haptic feedback. It's a dimension in the game that I find hard to quantify, but I love it! I get that a lot more on the PC as opposed to the XBox One X version, because the 60 FPS I get on the PC versus the 30 on the X makes it more likely that I'm going to manage to get a perfect tempo.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Pro

It's all good JC - I would expect some would choose TGC/2K21 in something like this.

I appreciate you weighing in!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »