Home

ApexHound Video on Updates Coming to EA Sports PGA Tour

This is a discussion on ApexHound Video on Updates Coming to EA Sports PGA Tour within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #1
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
ApexHound Video on Updates Coming to EA Sports PGA Tour

ApexHound did a half-hour sponsored post about upcoming EA Sports PGA Tour changes. He sat down with the lead designer and played turn based, online match play with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4_kX973Z6o

They talked about adding in Olympia Fields, and even showed it off. Olympia Fields and Wilmington will rotate as the BMW Championship host each season, starting with your next career mode year. They mentioned the Ryder Cup as well, which is coming down the pipeline soon. Apparently, they will have offline and online Ryder Cup modes. They will also be adding 2v2 turn based modes for the Ryder Cup, so all format types in the actual Ryder Cup will be playable in the game (foursomes, fourball, singles).

They brought up a "Pro Pass", which is something that "centralizes" all the content they add in the future. Sounds similar to other "live service" things, like 2K23's Clubhouse Pass or other "Season Passes". There's a free level and a "Premium" tier. This will be live Thursday, when the new patch drops.

One round career mode events will also be added then, too.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 08-08-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
Rookie

rupe's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: ApexHound Video on Updates Coming to EA Sports PGA Tour

The one thing I would like to see is greater difficulty hitting out of the rough and traps. I'm glad they appear to be supporting this game. Overall I'm happy with it and look forward to where they can take it.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:18 PM   #3
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Man, what this game could’ve been at launch if it wasn’t constrained by the masters release date. Clearly wasn’t anywhere close to being finished. We are finally getting a triple a game 4 months in. In case anyone is confused, I’m still playing and enjoying it.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

Hopefully they bolster their roster of licensed pro players. Otherwise, the Ryder Cup will have the same issues here as it did when it was in the game in Tiger Woods 11. There's simply not enough of the correct nationality of pros to have the correct amount of team members.

There are 11 male US players, and just one (!) male Euro player in the game right now. I recall in TW 11 having to use Australian players, as well as female golfers, to round out Ryder Cup teams.

Probably won't be a huge deal online, but I have no idea how the offline mode would work with the current rosters. Maybe they can use players' names like they do in career mode leaderboards, even though they won't have rights to their image?

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 08-08-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:25 PM   #5
Pro

Dawgfan1's Arena

OVR: 2

For me personally, the biggest news that came out of the video was them giving confirmation to this series no longer being a yearly release cycle and following 2K's lead of releasing a new game every 2+ years. Hopefully it allows the devs to have more time improving the current game and developing for the next one (if it happens), and it will allow me to play deeper into the career mode before feeling like I have to choose between this and any new game that might come out. It'll also mean we probably get another round of major courses in next year for 3-year rotations in career mode. Everything else sounded and looked good, the scorecard UI they had for match play looked pretty nice.

I'm assuming the Ryder Cup will be focused mostly on the online aspect, I don't have much hope in them adding a bunch of European golfers (if they are the mode would have possibly been added to career mode) so doing it offline will likely look and play weird. I'm glad the option is there at least, but I hope they're able to get more European golfers in the future.
MLB: Atlanta Braves
Soccer: Southampton and Atlanta United
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

Personally, this update is exactly what I've been waiting for since launch. I'm over the moon. Turn play, Ryder cup, multiple modes with turn play, it's what makes the game fun for the next year or two outside of career mode, which I'm already getting a bit tired of (just finished 3rd season losing East Lake once again like I did every season in 2k23 lol).

I'm stoked. THIS is the update that finally makes this game fun to play against your buddy online or your spouse in the same room. This is the one. I'm happy. Assuming it all works lol.

Thanks to EA for finally releasing a patch that should have been there since launch haha. I know they were "constrained" by the Masters launch date, but as we all know, this stuff is all very basic golf game stuff for the last 2 decades. All snark aside, I'm glad they stuck with it and I'm really looking forward to finally being able to play the game the way I really enjoy playing it.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:53 PM   #7
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan1
It'll also mean we probably get another round of major courses in next year for 3-year rotations in career mode.
Yeah, and looking at 2024's majors, that'll mean Valhalla (PGA), Pinehurst No. 2 (US Open), Royal Troon (The Open). These are all courses EA has had at some point in the past...in fact, Tiger Woods 14 had all 3 of them in that game.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 08-08-2023 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 02:03 AM   #8

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Yeah, the announcement that this will be a live service game is a pretty key thing. That will give them more time to add courses and content indefinitely. I'm expecting them to surpass 2K in that regard by a wide margin.

I also appreciated the designer's attitude in general. Very positive and upbeat. It's cool that he can have this partnership with Apex, because Apex can be pretty critical and blunt (and hilarious) when it comes to the problems with these golf games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »