Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Rookie
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Mar 2003
PGA 2K21 on PS5

Based on what I can find, the PS5 runs the game the same as the PS4 Pro, is that correct? (My understanding of that is that it is 1600P locked at 30 frames per second). Does anyone know if this is true and if it is going to stay this way on PS5?

I have the game for the PC but my gaming PC is starting to show its age (GTX 1060). I can play 4K on high settings at around 40-45 FPS. Or I can go down to down resolution and get 60.

I was considering buying the game for PS5 since it is on sale but if my performance is essentially the same (or worse) than PC it makes no sense.

It would seem the PS5 should have the horsepower to run this game 4K 60FPS (old Xbox X could do 4K 30fps). Dont know enough about programming but one would think if PC has a settings tab they should easily be able to change settings for PS5.

Anyway, anybody play this game on PS5 and have any insights? Is it 60fps? Is it 4K? Do the bushes, trees, etc not show from long distance and populate on screen as ball approaches (don't like this on PC when turning down settings).

Last edited by TheBrew101; 11-25-2020 at 03:42 PM.
TheBrew101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
MVP
 
OnlookerDelay's Arena
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Re: PGA 2K21 on PS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
Based on what I can find, the PS5 runs the game the same as the PS4 Pro, is that correct? (My understanding of that is that it is 1600P locked at 30 frames per second). Does anyone know if this is true and if it is going to stay this way on PS5?
They won't come out and say it or confirm it, but I'm pretty sure that's what they did, as they just made it backward compatible only. On the XBox One X, PGA TOUR 2K21 looks and flows at the same 30 FPS @ 2160p, as TGC 2019. The PS4 Pro version of TGC 2019 was natively rendered at 1600p @ 30 FPS. They were quick to add that it got upscaled to 4K. Two weeks later they wiped the forum and lost that post (I have it in my archives and shared it to at least three other forums), and haven't said a word about resolutions, frame rates, or anything relative to graphics quality.

Quote:
I have the game for the PC but my gaming PC is starting to show its age (GTX 1060). I can play 4K on high settings at around 40-45 FPS. Or I can go down to down resolution and get 60.
I've got a GTX 1070 and I can play the game at 50 to 62 FPS on most courses in 4K. It makes a HUGE difference in the way this game feels and looks. I think it's essential for proper enjoyment and management of the game's tempo component.

Quote:
I was considering buying the game for PS5 since it is on sale but if my performance is essentially the same (or worse) than PC it makes no sense.

It would seem the PS5 should have the horsepower to run this game 4K 60FPS (old Xbox X could do 4K 30fps). Dont know enough about programming but one would think if PC has a settings tab they should easily be able to change settings for PS5.

Anyway, anybody play this game on PS5 and have any insights? Is it 60fps? Is it 4K? Do the bushes, trees, etc not show from long distance and populate on screen as ball approaches (don't like this on PC when turning down settings).
It's currently strapped to 30 FPS on both next-gen consoles. You're asking all the right questions and I can tell you this; as the owner of both the PC and XBox One X versions of the game, it's not worth buying it for a PS5 or an XBox Series X, since they're at least currently shackled to 30 FPS, probably because HB Studios has the vsync locked at 30 Hz. I'm hoping they're going to unlock the vsync so PS5 and Series X owners can play the game at 60 FPS and get the benefits of Variable Refresh Rates of their consoles and their VRR capable displays. It would be such an easy software switch to add.

I've quit playing the game on the XBox One X, even though that's where most of my friends play the game. It's just too frustrating trying to manage the critical tempo component at 30 FPS... not only that, but it sort of feels like playing underwater compared to the unrestrained feel of 60 FPS!
__________________
Duke Football? Hell yes it's Duke Football! --- Coach Cutcliffe
OnlookerDelay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Rookie
 
longway911's Arena
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Nov 2003
Re: PGA 2K21 on PS5

I was able to order a PS5 today and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the save files are transferable from the ps4 to the ps5, either via cloud saves or a flash drive. If I can't transfer my career over to the PS5 I might just continue playing it on the PS4.

Am I misunderstanding the previous posts, or is the opinion in this thread that this game looks/plays worse on the PS5 than the PS4?
longway911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
Rookie
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Mar 2003
Re: PGA 2K21 on PS5

I only have it for PC but my understanding is it plays basically the same as if you had a PS4 Pro with perhaps better load times. So I think it would be advantageous to play it on PS5. No disadvantage to playing it on PS5 that I am aware of.

I just haven't pulled trigger in buying it on PS5 as it seems to offer no advantage to my outdated 1060 graphics card on PC which can play the game in 4K around 40-45 FPS.

It is just disappointing they don't pull the FPS cap off the PS5 version. The PS5 would seem to have the horsepower to run game at 60fps in liue of the capped 30fps on PS4, PS4 Pro.

I'm pretty sure you can transfer over your PS4 save file to PS5 for the game amd continue on PS5.

Interested to hear your thoughts on game making jump. I still would rather play it on my PS5 but can't justify buying game again in my mind until they take the 30fps cap off or until it goes in bargain bin.

Last edited by TheBrew101; 02-09-2021 at 02:36 PM.
TheBrew101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Rookie
 
longway911's Arena
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Nov 2003
Re: PGA 2K21 on PS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
Interested to hear your thoughts on game making jump. I still would rather play it on my PS5 but can't justify buying game again in my mind until they take the 30fps cap off or until it goes in bargain bin.
I'll be checking it out next week and I'll let you know. I've played 300ish rounds on the PS4 so the differences between the two systems should be apparent immediately.
longway911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Top -